Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #1  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Default Yikes!

Okay, I totally just went crazy and ate maybe 1/5 or 1/4 of the skin off a turkey I made for my family tonight (we package it up for lunch meat in the freezer and various dinner applications ahead of time).

While it probably stayed within my daily calories that I had left, I was out of control! I don't know if it was because I had just exercised or what, but I wasn't even totally aware I was doing it until I was done. I NEVER binge like that, so it was doubly odd that I did so.

I'm trying not to be mad at myself or panic - just try to facsimile the calorie amount and move on with my (otherwise great) eating and moving today.

BOOO! I hate feeling out of control like that - thankfully it is a rare occurrence.

ADDENDUM: Okay chicks, I am trying to figure out the caloric information of the turkey skin, but the online info keeps referring to a serving as a 'unit'. How do I measure out what I ate in those terms? I probably had no more than 8 square inches of skin (YIIIIKES!), so how would that translate to these 'unit' thingies they keep referencing? HELP!

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 09-29-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #2  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I'm getting ready to make a turkey too, tomorrow or Thursday. I wondered if this might be a problem with me.

But one thing I do is roast the turkey skin side down so the breast stays moist. But it also makes the skin soggy. I hate soggy skin! eww!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #3  
Back with a story

Yes, unfortunately the skin had been brined and then oiled lightly before roasting, so it is flavorful and crispy to perfection. Ugh.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #4  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I love roasted turkey skin. I just gobbled down a huge square of corn bread from the grocery store (so you know its full of bad crud). At least you worked out today. Maybe it was needed fat or salt or something??? Sometimes after I work out I pickle binge...lol!
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #5  
Back with a story

Yeah, it wasn't the skin that bothered me, so much as that I had difficulty stopping and want to go right back downstairs and eat more. I am going to make a nice salad with vinaigrette when I give my kids their snack in a bit and leave that turkey covered, otherwise. I think keeping my hunger satiated with better choices is my current best bet. My husband will be home in about an hour and a half to carve it, and I will MEASURE out a REASONABLE portion of breast to eat for dinner once he carves it.

As for the calories, I think I am just going to assume it's 400 and call it good. 32 grams of skin seems to be 135 calories and I do NOT think I had more than 100 grams worth, considering most of the skin I ate (except a two inches around the neck) was very thin and crispy, not the fattier type. Le sigh
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I found a site that gives the nutrition info for 100 grams (or 3.5 oz.) of turkey skin, which as you probably know is supposed to be about the size of a deck of cards:

482 calories
44 grams of fat
19 grams of protien

Maybe you can visualize a comparison between this amount and the amount you ate?
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, it looks like you beat me to posting, lol. I just feel really lucky in that this type of stuff just grosses me out (I think it must be the texture).
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #8  
Back with a story

That deck if cards seems about right - it appears I accidently roasted the turkey upside down anyway, so less skin was around than on the breasts. I ate some dark meat too, but already factored that in. Thank you for your help!