Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/232/135

Height: 5ft 5

Question Where do I start

I'm 38 and totally unfit, 2 flight of stairs would finish me off. The idea of exercise terrifies me, but I know that it something that I need to do. To help me lose weight and to get fit. I have always been challenged wen it comes to exercise, I'm the kind of person who gets hit with a ball between the eyes while trying to catch it, and was always last picked at team sports. But such is life. My bust also landed at 12 which didn't make school sports any easier. I'm a 38F/G

Where do I start. My goal is to be able to run further than 100 metres without dying.

Time is tight I work long hours, and when I come home I spend time with my children 6 and 12. I can't always get time alone in the house, without an audience laughing and giggling at my attempts at exercise.

Where do I start and how do I build up my fitness.

I was going to use the wii fit, but the kids are on the games when I want to use it.

Any ideas welcome
Slim2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Lisa, and welcome. How about starting with walking? It is easy to do and great exercise. I walk 4 to 5 days of the week and it has been really helpful.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey!

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #3  

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

You could try walking and going a bit further each day. Also, sit down with your kids and explain to them what you want to do and ask if they can help you. Maybe they can walk with you or use the Wii along with you. If you include them in on it and explain to them that any laughing at you is unexceptable they may be a great source of support.

If it does not work having them join in then you have the right to say excuse me kiddos but Mom needs 20 or 30 mins alone with the Wii!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Yes, walking is a great way to start.

I would also encourage you to try to increase your level of daily activity. Park a little further away from the grocery store than you normally would. Go outside and play with your kids. Keep taking the stairs--it gets easier in time. Go pull weeds in the garden. Do yard work with your family. Just try joining in on the things they are doing. You may get winded and not stay in the activity as long as they can, but remember it's a start.

I'm alot like you--never was a coordinated kid. Didn't like being outdoors--just one big sunburn waiting to happen for me. I was a real bookworm. Anyway, not much has changed for me. I doubt that I'll be running a marathon anytime soon but walking is doing the job for me right now. I also do some stretching exercises that I really enjoy.

I also know that as I lose more wt I'm able to do more with my family and up my daily activity level. I now carry heavy baskets of laundry up and down my stairs, where as before I'd ask my husband or sons to do it for me. I get outside with my family and participate as much as possible. For example, I weed my own garden now instead of paying my youngest to do it for me. I also helped my husband plant a very large tree this summer. We go to car shows and walk around looking at the other cool auto's.

I believe all these little things really add up in the long run and help make our bodies stronger too. When we first start out we just need to move more. It's trial and error to find out what we enjoy and what we can stick with. I like walking alot. I also really enjoy stretching exercises with the stretch band. Really makes my body feel good. Keep trying new things and find out what works for you.

As far as the wii goes, can you take it into another room for some privacy? Or could you join the kids in it and ask them to be more supportive, instead of laughing? Sometimes our kids just don't get that we have feelings too so a little talk could bring them over to your side. And, lots of kids like playing with their parents so it's a win-win for everyone!

Start somewhere, with something. If you don't like what you're doing then try something else. Just find a way to move more--trust me it works!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #6  

Yes on walking! I'm going out in a few minutes.. won't you join me?
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/158.2/137

Height: 5'6

I started exercising at around 220 pounds with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. I started with one mile (about 12-15 minutes) and then added miles as I was able. By 3 months in I was able to do other work outs like 30 Day Shred and circuits with weights and cardio
nineoceansaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Can you get up early (I know no one wants to do that) and walk in the morning?
How about during your lunch break?
The hardest part is taking the first step.
Commit to it and do it !
Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/247/160

Height: 5'5

nineoceansaway,

I've never tried a walking CD, can you tell me how it helps, what does Leslie do or say on the CD that gives you encouragement to walk or increase steps?

cj
CJ160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim2win View Post
I'm 38 and totally unfit, 2 flight of stairs would finish me off. The idea of exercise terrifies me, but I know that it something that I need to do. To help me lose weight and to get fit. I have always been challenged wen it comes to exercise, I'm the kind of person who gets hit with a ball between the eyes while trying to catch it, and was always last picked at team sports. But such is life. My bust also landed at 12 which didn't make school sports any easier. I'm a 38F/G

Where do I start. My goal is to be able to run further than 100 metres without dying.

Time is tight I work long hours, and when I come home I spend time with my children 6 and 12. I can't always get time alone in the house, without an audience laughing and giggling at my attempts at exercise.

Where do I start and how do I build up my fitness.

I was going to use the wii fit, but the kids are on the games when I want to use it.

Any ideas welcome
What an impressive list of excuses! You're terrified, you don't have time to work out, you'd rather spend time with your kids, you don't have any alone time, people would laugh at you, you don't want to intrude on your kids' game time. Do you hear yourself?

You're terrified - we all were, and some of us still are. But it wouldn't be worth doing otherwise. Pump yourself up, get over your fears, and just do it because nobody is going to do this for you.

You don't have time - you make time. I do and so many others do. Those people you see jogging in the park, playing basketball, and doing yoga... do you think that they have a magical amount of time to workout? Do you think they all have trustfunds that allows them to stay home and spend all their time on me time? Do you think they don't have kids to take care of? Like an above poster said, park far away, take the stairs, opt to walk rather than get on the bus, etc.

Spending time with your kids - there's no greater gift you could give to your kids than to be healthy and to take care of yourself. Kids learn by watching what you do and if you constantly say to yourself that you don't have time for yourself then guess what, you're raising kids who will grow into adults that think the same way. Spend time with your kids by doing physical activities, going to the park, playing games, or even just walking!

No alone time - Is your exercise a private matter? It would be nice I guess but unfortunately you don't have the luxury of that so make the most of what you have. Go out there and do it no matter who's around. Don't worry, nobody is looking at you. Everybody is just as focused on themselves as you are so there's nothing to worry about.

Everybody's laughing at you - Yes it's funny to see somebody doing something different at first but once you lose weight and get stronger nobody will be laughing at you again. Wouldn't you rather be a Mom who's inspiring and strong and setting a good a example for your kids? It may be time to teach your kids the "let's see who's laughing last" lesson right about now.

Kids Game Time - You bought it for them, you're paying the bills, you're providing the games. It's up to you to set the rules of when these can and cannot be played and Mom's exercise time has GOT to be more important than a video game. If your family (you included) does not learn to understand that then think ahead in your future when you will be suffering with ill-health and your kids are going to have to sit by your hospital bedside wishing that you had done something about your health earlier.

Sorry to be so aggressive but excuses serve no purpose but to keep you down. I had a much longer list of excuses than you do and I just had to get over them. Time management, fears, expectations from others, guilt over taking care of myself were all issues I had to face too. I did it and so can you. And when I feel like I'm having excuses again I think about all the little old ladies at the track running circles around me, I think about all the people who have lost limbs and are running marathons with prosthetic legs - these people have much better excuses than you or I do and they don't let them get in the way.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Thank you Wannabe--that was exactly what i was thinking, but i didnt know how to put it...er...delicately--like you did!!

I have a full-time job, i have kids, until just this may i was also a full-time college student...but you know what? I realized some time ago that i HAD to make exercise a priority..it was just as much of a priority as my job, and as my school work, and as spending time with my daughter.
WAKE UP EARLIER.
I wake up literally as early as i have to everyday to make sure i get my training run in. Tomorrow my schedule calls for 12 miles. I have to be at work by 7 30 am and i have to have my daughter dropped off at daycare by 6 40 to get to work in time. That means, i have to wake up to go running at 2:30 in the morning!!! But, if i dont do it then, i wont have time for the rest of the day. That means i go to bed no later than 8 tonight.
MAKE time!!
GOOD LUCK
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

mkroyer, you're just the kind of inspiration we need around here and that was exactly what I was getting at. Someone around these forums has a really great motivational quote in their signature that says "those who argue for their limitations usually get to keep them." I wish you didn't have to sacrifice sleep but your committment to fitness is proof that it can and should be done. Your daughter will thank you one day for what you do now.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/240/200

Height: 5'7"

The Leslie Sansone DVD is great. She is really peppy some times too peppy but you get in a mile walk in 20 minutes. Then you build yourself up to 2 miles and then 3 etc. The first time I did it I had to quit half way through because I was so hot... But now it is good. I am in the same boat is you and 5 years older I can't get motivated but I am trying. Check out the Leslie Sansone I think you will like it.
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Slim2win -- The trick is to take baby steps and take your time so you don't injure yourself. We all can find excuses not to pay our bills, brush our teeth but still we do it because it's the right thing to do. The same goes with exercise, it's the right thing to do for your health. Start with a short walk, make it longer daily and in no time it will feel like nothing. Park your car farther as someone suggested. It's also a very good idea to play the Wii with the kids and even if they do laugh, they won't be laughing at you they will be laughing with you. Make a game of it. I also think it would be a great idea that you explain to the kids that you need the Wii once/day so that you could do it alone, I'm sure they'll understand if you explain to them than it's important for your health. Then after you've done your time do it all together, more exercise incorporated into your day ... Go to the park with the kids, walk to the park... There are many MANY ways of incorporating exercise in a day and they don't have to all be formal ways of exercising...

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #15  

Thanks all, the kick up the butt that I needed.