Old 01-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #1  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Default Breakfast Burritos - make ahead and freeze

Hi all. I hate making breakfast in the mornings, and if I can't grab something quickly I sometimes go without (which is not a good idea for me). I love breakfast burritos, but the ones I find in the store are either full of fat or cost too much $$$$$$

I made up a whole batch of burritos this weekend that I can pop in the microwave in the morning, and thought I'd share the recipe:

Sausage, Egg, and Potato Breakfast Burritos:

Ingredients:
1 quart container Egg Substitute
1 Tube (12 oz) Jimmy Dean Lite Pork Sausage (50% less fat variety)
1 bag (16 oz) frozen country potato mix - with peppers and onions, no added oil!
1 cup salsa
Soft Tortillas - 10 to 16, 10" or larger; I reccomend whole wheat or sprouted grain

Directions:
In LARGE non-stick skillet on med-high , fry sausage, breaking into as small as pieces as you can. When fully cooked, add half the egg substitue and scramble until combined. Add frozen potato mix and the rest the egg substitute; scramble until most of the egg has set. Then add the 1 cup salsa and continue to cook, stirring frequently. You can salt to taste if you wish. Reduce heat and continue to cook - allow extra liquid to boil out or evaporate.

Line a rectangular or square cake pan with plastic wrap or wax paper. Pour fully cooked filling into lined pan and distribute evenly. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate at least an hour or until set (overnight is fine too).

Once the filling is cool and firm, turn out onto a cutting board and blot any extra moisture with a paper towel. Cut into individual servings. (If you are using fajita sized tortillas 9-10" divide into sixteen servings, If you are using burrito sized (12+") you may chose to divide it into ten.)

Place a single serving of filling onto a tortilla, in the middle from left to right and closer to the bottom than the top. Fold the left and right sides over the filling, then fold the bottom of the tortilla over it as well. Roll the tortilla toward the top, keeping the sides folded in. Repeat for each burrito. Place the filled burritos back in your (now unlined) cake pan and freeze until solid. Once solid, you can put them in a plastic bag until you are ready for them.

To heat - wrap frozen burrito in paper towel and microwave approx. 2 minutes or until heated through.

I calculated the entire filling recipe as 1630 calories, with 65 fat grams, 80 carbo grams, and 155 protein. If you divide this into 16, you have approx. 102 calories made of 4 fat grams, 5 carb grams, and about 9.7 protein grams. Add to that the calories for the tortilla. Tortillas come in too much variety for me to indicate calories - go with what is on the package you use. The tortillas I used made the burritos come in at 215 calories. For the larger ones (10 to a bathc) they came in about 300 cal.

Note: I'd love to try this with turkey sausage, but the only turkey sausage I could find had as many calories and as much fat as the reduced fat Jimmy Dean so I stuck with pork.

I'd love to hear your comments if you make them (the burritos that is)! Thanks,
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for not only "inventing" but going to the trouble of writing it all down so clearly and then doing the nutritional analysis, too.

SO and DS will love these. I will experiment and use Boca crumbles; will let you know how that works!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #3  
No description available.

Awesome! I love breakfast burritos and this is a great way to have a low cal version on hand.

Thanks so much!!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #4  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

These sound great...thanks!! I'll try anything that you can make a big batch of ahead of time. I think my DH will like them too.

My only question is - what is that potato mix that you refer to? Maybe it depends where you live (or I've just never looked) but I have no idea what it is or where to find it. If you have a link so I can see the product, that would really help!

TIA.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post
These sound great...thanks!! I'll try anything that you can make a big batch of ahead of time. I think my DH will like them too.

My only question is - what is that potato mix that you refer to? Maybe it depends where you live (or I've just never looked) but I have no idea what it is or where to find it. If you have a link so I can see the product, that would really help!

TIA.

I was wondering the same thing. However, since I really don't care for hash browns, I think I'll substitute sauteed mushies and onions to fill it out.

As far as turkey sausage goes, make your own. We make our own turkey Italian sausage and freeze it in 1 lb blocks in quart bags. I'm sure you can find several recipes online for turkey sausage. If not, I can ask boobalah to find one in some of his sausage books.

Thanks!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Have you tried Gimme Lean Sausage? I was in the produce section yesterday and saw this. I've had the beef before and it does taste like beef, even though it is vegetarian.

They have a Gimme Lean Sausage flavor as well. Apparently the tube is equivalent to 1 lb. I think I'm going to be trying to sneak some of this into my eating plan.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #7  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post
Sorry - didn't think about how vague that may have been! Here's a link to the ones my neighborhood store sells. I also found them at Safeway - I think they were called potatos o'brien. Its just diced potato, onion, and red and green pepper, not fried or anything. Hope this helps!
http://www.cascadianfarm.com/product...il.aspx?cat=13

Some yummy sounding tweaks on here! I also made up some black bean and cheese ones - I'll have to write that all down so I can post it here, too! The Gimme Lean sounds good - I didn't even really think to look at the refrigerated meat alternatives. Thats a great idea!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #8  

How many eggs would you use and how would it affect the calorie count?
carabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #9  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

This sounds wonderful!! Definitely a great idea for breakfast! Would Boca Burger crumbled make the cals/fat go down any? I have never tried Boca burger but I am curious!
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #10  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just made some breakfast burritos this past weekend for the freezer - this is an awesome way to have a fast, nutritious breakfast in the morning while staying on plan. I am not a morning person, so this helps me tremendously. Your burritos sound more delicious than mine - I may have to switch it up next week!

Mine are just really simple: Mission low carb tortilla, 1/4 c scrambled egg beaters, one slice Oscar Meyer 98% fat free smoked ham, half a slice of 2% american cheese. This totals 195 calories.

I think I might use sausage next week & pick up on some of your ideas. Thanks for the post!!!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #11  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I just made some breakfast burritos this past weekend for the freezer - this is an awesome way to have a fast, nutritious breakfast in the morning while staying on plan. I am not a morning person, so this helps me tremendously. Your burritos sound more delicious than mine - I may have to switch it up next week!

Mine are just really simple: Mission low carb tortilla, 1/4 c scrambled egg beaters, one slice Oscar Meyer 98% fat free smoked ham, half a slice of 2% american cheese. This totals 195 calories.

I think I might use sausage next week & pick up on some of your ideas. Thanks for the post!!!
Yours sound delish to!! This is such a great idea!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #12  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Does anyone think I can use spaghetti squash in substitute to the potatoes? Like shred them up and cook them the same way?