South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #1  

Default Differences between diets SBD old and new

Hi all,
I'm new here, just about to start phase 1 tomorrow. I read the old South Beach book a few years back, and did really well-- lost a LOT of weight, but, a pregnancy and sedentery lifestyle has me heavier than ever. So, I'm back on SB tomorrow!

Its been a while since I read the book, and it seems like there's been some changes-- I've read all the sticky's but just curious what the main changes are (like what is 1.5-- etc).
Can anyone tell me if its worth it to buy the whole new book, or reread the old one, or could I just start with the basics again?

Many thanks all!
Meremaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Meremaiden!

The plan is basically the same, except that there are some new foods allowed, especially in Phase 1. You can find the latest additions in our updated food lists in our FAQ section of this forum. Many of us follow what we refer to as Phase 1.5 after we complete Phase 1. It's just a modified version of Phase 2, meaning we may only have 1 starch a day or limit our fruits. You can also find a sticky in the FAQs that will guide you in how to introduce new foods in Phase 2.

Good luck on this plan, and we look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Meremaiden!

1.5 is something made up by many of the members here. Basically, it's starting Phase 2, but eating only a little bit of the newer foods. Some people who can't start with Phase 1 (like those who are nursing), find this a better way to ease into Phase 2, but it's not in the book.

The new book (South Beach Supercharged) is very similar, with very few major changes, except for an emphasis on exercise (particularly interval). You may find it worth a read to refresh your memory and help you take advantage of the new research Agatston utilizes.

Glad to have you with us!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #4  

great, thank you all for the answers! Looking forward to getting to know you all in this great community.
Meremaiden is offline   Reply With Quote