Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #1  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Default This is the reason I don't like left overs...

So I went out to dinner with my friend and was good in that I looked up the menu beforehand and decided ahead of time what I was going to have and knew how many calories etc. I ended up eating about half the meal (somewhat on purpose- I was at 1520 calories for the day already above my 1350 planned limit) and decided to bring the rest home for lunch tomorrow.

Now the sucky part: I'm obsessed with the leftovers in my fridge!!! I mean I can't stop thinking about them. I'm not hungry but I just want to have them. This is the reason why I can't have ready-to-eat food... If I can make it to midnight, I know I'll be fine because it's always been my solid rule (even at my fattest) never to eat after midnight. But this evening has been tough. I haven't even been able to open the fridge even to get water because I know I'll get the food out; I've had to drink tap water out of the bathroom because the pull is that much. This is like torture. And I know how ridiculous the situation is... I'm a big believer in setting yourself up for success and this is just a reminder to me NOT to have left-overs or "ready" food in my fridge. I thought I was fine-ish with my eating now, but this just shows me I'm as weak as ever, although I guess I should pat myself on the back for not giving in... yet. This is such a struggle and its almost like I just want to eat the leftovers so I don't have to deal with thinking about them anymore...

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 09-27-2009 at 12:55 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #2  
Out is Through

I know it'll be a waste to throw it out, so just think about how horrible you'll feel in the morning if you eat it now. I know if I eat late at night my tummy feels horribly bloated in the morning =/ I do the same exact thing by the way, I always had to eat my leftovers late at night even if I wasn't hungry. Try occupying your mind before bed, dive into a really good book to kinda steer your thoughts in a different direction :P
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #3  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

No, I know how you feel! I'm the same way! Every time I open that fridge I'll just pick at it and pick at it until its gone....
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #4  
Mini Goal 1- 199

Ok midnight came and went and I didn't eat it. So I'm unlikely to now. Its still in the fridge. I thought about throwing it in the dustbin but then I was scared that somewhere between the fridge and the dustbin, my mouth might interfere so I stayed away. It's ridiculous to be this intimidated by food, but I know myself. I won't stop at a teeny bite and before I know it 900 needless calories will be down my throat. I wish I didn't feel out of control with food.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 09-27-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I'm so glad you resisted!!

When I first quit smoking, they were all I could think about--and I really, really didn't even want them any more! The *cravings* lasted for months--but I knew (having learned from experience) that if I gave in--the addiction would win--and I'd have to go through that **** of the first day quit all over again--and if I put my family through that again, I was probably risking divorce.

I'm telling you all this (and not just to keep my fingers busy and my body out of the kitchen) because I want you to know that the craving does fade. You're being "out of control" around food --and around certain kinds of food--may always be there--but they will get easier to cope with. You've just taken a HUGE step in that direction by "finding the way out." (1 Cor 10:13 )
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Great Job, for not eating. You are not weak, you had a very thought out plan, knowing that if you went into the kitchen, what might happen, and you made that plan work, and you did it, you decided not to give in, You Did Amazingly Well.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

Thanks everyone! Hugs! I was successful today but it's hard not to think: is this how I'm going to struggle forever? Because I don't know if I'm always or even mostly going to be strong enough to resist as I did today. I'm trying to focus on the day by day though. Today's battle was won and I live to fight another day. I just need to keep reminding myself not to borrow trouble for tomorrow, one day at a time, I guess.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Yes, that is all you can do!
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No, you're not going to struggle like this forever. It WILL get easier. Without a doubt. You'll get more used to it and it will become more automatic. The longer you practice a certain behavior the more accustomed you get to it.

When I decided to lose the weight, I was so determined I didn't care anymore and figured I would just have to go around sucking it up for the rest of my life. It didn't matter though, because I was sick of being fat and miserable. Like I said I WAS ready for the struggle, but I was SHOCKED to find that it got easier and easier and it was no longer a struggle. The longer you do without something the less you want it. Then you are feeling so marvelous with your on plan slim self, you don't want anything to mess up that feeling. And then like I said earlier, it just becomes second nature to you. Good habits once established are just as hard to break as bad ones.

Of course every now and then it IS harder then others for some reason, but again you LEARN how to deal with it better and you realize that it's not so difficutl after all. This is no burden to live this way. It becomes your way of life and it is a pleasure and a joy.

That being said, you spoke about setting yourself up for success. Well that too is one of my favorite phrases and things to do and if you KNOW for certain that you have issues with certain situations - do you very best to avoid them. No make that - AVOID them. Don't make this harder then need be. No reason to torture yourself. A newly recovering alcoholic is not walking into a bar anytime soon - IF AT ALL. EVER.

Leftovers were a HUGE issue for me as well. Different though. I'm talking about if I would make a meal and have some leftover. I would go back at it and go back at it till there was none left OVER. So when I first started out my solution was to make only enough for that one particular meal. Seems like more work, but that's how I was setting myself up for success. Then as I began to feel stronger I could make the same meal for multiple nights, but right away, before I even started eating, I would separate the first nights meal and pack away the second nights meal.

There are certain things that will never be in my home again. Ice Cream. Low fat. No fat. No sugar. Sugar. Doesn't make a difference. NEVER. Such is life. If this is the way it has to be, then this is the way it HAS to be. I'm setting myself up for success by avoiding my all time over the top overeating food. It's not the end of the world.

I think you did great resisting. And yes my dear - one day at a time. One hour at a time. Get through it. Any way that you can. Fake it till you make it. Know that every time you say no to eating when you "shouldn't", you are one step closer to losing the weight and you are developing and establishing new and healthy eating patterns and behaviors.

You CAN do this. For sure. For sure. FOR SURE.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-27-2009 at 06:30 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 308/185/130 140kg/84kg/59kg

Height: 5'5 165cm

toastedsmoke, good for you for resisting! when i'm craving something and i ignore it and go to bed i always feel fantastic the next morning.

rockinrobin once said in a post i read 'just because you're craving something doesn't mean you need to eat it.' (excuse the paraphrasing rockinrobin - oh and BTW - you rock!!).

that really resonated with me. i think one of the keys to my determination this time is i've come to grips with the fact that a craving is very different to feeling actual hunger. hunger is a need for fuel; a craving is NOT A NEED. they're two different things, which ought to be treated differently. total light bulb moment for me.

you're right toastedsmoke - one day at a time. you can do it!!
misschloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Congratulations! I know how tough it is to resist "ready food".

I prefer to avoid the battle at all, and my dog is often the beneficiary. But if there are leftovers, one strategy I use is to freeze it if it can be frozen (obviously doesn't work for salads etc!). Once it's frozen, I have no problem resisting it (especially if I place it where I won't even see it).
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I totally know how you feel. I'm glad you didn't end up eating it.

We had pizza for dinner last night. Which I shouldn't have had, but whatever. And there was some left, so later after I had already had some, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and had another piece. There are 2 pieces left, and I left them out on the counter all night, in hopes that I wont eat it. But then, I've been known to eat pizza left out all night. I need to go throw it away, because I keep thinking about it.

And I'm so bloated from eating the pizza, I'm back up to 231. I know I didn't really gain 4 lbs, but still, the scale says I did.

Pizza is my trigger food, and so I dont have it often.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschloe View Post
rockinrobin once said in a post i read 'just because you're craving something doesn't mean you need to eat it.' (excuse the paraphrasing rockinrobin - oh and BTW - you rock!!).

that really resonated with me. i think one of the keys to my determination this time is i've come to grips with the fact that a craving is very different to feeling actual hunger. hunger is a need for fuel; a craving is NOT A NEED. they're two different things, which ought to be treated differently. total light bulb moment for me.
Thanks for the compliment!

This is what I say (usually):

"Just because you want something, doesn't mean you HAVE to have it."

I've said it loads (& will continue to do so). Because for me it was a HUGE realization. HUGE. I'm an adult and it's okay to tell myself no. Lord knows I do all the time with so many things OTHER then food, well it was time to do it with food as well.

I have never, ever not even one time regretted saying "no" to food. Not once. But boy oh boy there's been lots and lots of times where I've regretted eating certain foods.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Way to go!!! I have issues like that with "bad" foods.. you know like sweets! The worst thing in the world that someone could do to a fat person trying to change is to put one of their weeknesses in front of them and tell them no to touch it. My MIL had to buy a bunch of those ice cream cups for a wedding that was held yesterday. She had to borrow our freezer for some of the wedding food... what does she choose to put in ours??? Those stupid ice cream cups! She is sweet and says "I bought you a pack of them too... they are only 100 calories a cup." Well she picked them up Friday and yesterday at the wedding she says "Sommer, I bought you a pack of the ice cream cups, I figured they would be gone by now". I just smiled and said "Mom, that was just like putting crack in front of a recovering addict and saying that they can have just one little rock. When I feel I can stop at one cup then I will open that bag... but not before."

I think the feeling of accomplishment just from resisting something is almost as great as seeing the number on the scale drop.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post

I think the feeling of accomplishment just from resisting something is almost as great as seeing the number on the scale drop.
Yes. Yes and YES!!!. I've often said that STAYING on plan, being in CONTROL is an incredible feeling all by its lonesome. Never mind the wonderful benefits that it brings about, but just that control. Knowing that you can have something, but deciding that you won't. The feeling of being responsible and mature and smart and health conscious. and doing "the right thing" - it's just an awesome feeling. Almost like a "high". And very addictive I might add.