Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default OT: Does anyone know of this church?

Christ Embassy/Believers Love World ?

We've been asked if they can use our church downstairs room for fellowship meetings.
As general good practice, I asked who they were and what the purpose of their meetings would be, and the person speaking seemed very defensive. I would ask the same questions of a flower-arranging group or a dog-training class but he still seemed touchy.

I can find their websites but can't find any clear info on their attitudes to many things - roles of women, attitudes to gender/orientation issues, other faiths etc.

I just wondered if anybody knew of them, good or bad. Please feel free to PM me - I don't want to start any kind of War of words but if theirs and ours views are very opposite, then we won't live well together. I can't find anyone who knows them. No criticism implied whatsoever!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't know this church personally, but I did find their International Site, called Christ Embassy Church International. At the top of the page, there is a title "about us" and this is the Creed that they posted there ...

What We Believe -- Fundamental Truths

WE BELIEVE... The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.

WE BELIEVE... There is only One True God–revealed in three persons ... Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).

WE BELIEVE... In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's son Jesus was both human and divine.

WE BELIEVE... though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.

WE BELIEVE... Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (accepting Christ's offer of forgiveness for sin).

WE BELIEVE... and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.

WE BELIEVE... the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.

WE BELIEVE... The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.

WE BELIEVE... Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.

WE BELIEVE... The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe 'the Church' is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.

WE BELIEVE... A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church.

WE BELIEVE... Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).

WE BELIEVE... in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.

WE BELIEVE... in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.

WE BELIEVE... A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.

WE BELIEVE... and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!

Here's the link to their site ... http://www.christembassychurch.org/about_ceci.htm

From what I could find, they are described as a Penecostal-type of Christian Church. They have both male and female ordained ministers (reverends) leading their churches. It seems to be quickly growing in popularity worldwide.

You can just explain that this is normal church policy to ask for an outline of the purpose of use for the space being rented; and that the function must fall within the policy perimeters set by your church, so you need to know something about them (meaning -- who they are and what they want to do there).

That shouldn't be too offensive to them. You are perfectly within your rights to ask for that; and I think this is common policy in most churches now. One of our local churches rents their basement to SDA who hold their services on Saturdays, and it is working out well for both of them.

I would add one thing though -- do you have a spec sheet with an outline of things that you don't approve of in your church? Maybe if you had a guideline to give them or ask them about, then they could decide whether or not they want to rent there, becuz I'm sure that they don't want to clash either ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Rosebud, for all that effort!

My difficulty is that, while I might not use the same vocabulary, I don't think I could disagree with many of the above statements. Well, our understanding of the sacraments (ordinances) is other (infant as well as believer's baptism; real presence in the Eucharist, not just memorial; no need for tongues as 'proof').
What I can't find is their outworking, particularly in relation to sin - I don't want to upset folk on here, one way or the other on the particular sin that I bet they count as one but I and millions don't; and in relation to the gender of the leadership: I'm a divinely called and scripturally ordained leader but I got the boobies too. This church, as far as I can find it, originates in a traditional, patriarchal society and I need to make sure what values it has taken from its society into its system.Again, no criticism/condemnation but I'm still trying to find out that it won't teach very contrary to what our church teachings.

(And I know God is God is God, and that it's human beings that complicate things by trying to teach things too far above our understanding.)

Thanks again.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, I can understand your concern; and it can work both ways. A liberal church and conservative church could clash; and visa versa. I am referring to liberal and consersative doctrines and beliefs; and general ones, for that matter, as in baptism, rites, and "proofs" ...

You may have to ask more questions or wait to find someone who goes to their church; but in the end, if you are still concerned that something they believe or teach would be offensive or hurtful to your church members, then you may prefer to decline their request.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote