Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/195/150

Height: 5'1

Cool I'm Addicted to Second Helpings!

I've heard that it takes about 28 days to form a habit. So, each month I'm trying to focus on one thing to help me develop good habits. September I've focus and succeeded to walking/running for 30 minutes or more 3 times a week. This is just the beginning for me.

For October, I think my challenge would be trying to avoid second and third helpings. My mother goods absolutely delicious food that I enjoy immensely and keep going at least 2-3 bowls worth each meal. It's been a habit of mines to plop down after a long day at school and just chow down on the food.

So.. I'm trying to keep myself accountable and follow this challenge through. Anyone else addicted to second helpings can join me with trying to overcome this feat this month, and anyone who has tips or tricks to avoid second helpings is more than welcome to reply. ^_^ Wish me luck!
saintxio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I totally relate! I am using a meal delivery program for most of my daily eating and it was a real eye opener as far as portion control goes. These meals are generous, they fill one of my dinner plates. But, when it's gone there are no seconds. And guess what---I'm full. So, eating more than one plate full was a bad habit. Sure it was tasty, but I really didn't need more food. It was available and it was a bad habit.

I applaud your approach. I think getting a firm grasp on this issue is an excellent way to start!. Here are a few things that have helped me:

I sit down and eat dinner with my husband. I focus on enjoying what I do allow myself to have. No more unconcious eating.

If I eat out, I only eat half of what I ordered. Again, I'm full but if it were all there I'd eat it anyway. Just ask for a to-go box when you order your meal and immediately put it away.

I have a couple of favorite dishes that just make eating enjoyable. I have invested in a few smaller snack or appetizer dishes. When I do have a snack I only take out one serving (check the back of the bag, box,etc.) and put it on one of these pretty plates or bowl. I no longer grab a cereal bowl and fill it to capacity with ice cream. I measure out a serving and put it into a custard bowl. It would look so pathetic in a regular bowl but in that little custard cup it looks just right! That's just an example but it really helps on every level.

Measure out what a serving of whatever you going to eat. Most of us have no idea what a 'serving' should be.

Make the calories you eat count! Add fiber rich veggies, whole grains, sensible portions of protein to each meal.

Stay away from the kitchen after you're done eating!

If after 20 minutes you are still hungry (and it takes awhile to recognize true hunger) then allow yourself a small snack --not seconds!

Say out loud to yourself--I'm full. I don't need anymore.

That's all that's coming to me but this has helped me alot. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.

Good luck!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/195/150

Height: 5'1

Thanks for the tips!

I wonder about those meal plan systems.. since ideally they're helpful with portion controlling. Problem is that packaged meals are pretty attractive to my younger siblings and many of their friends.. so they have no problem taking down a fridge full of boxes in a week.

I survived lasagna night with only one bowl and feel so proud. I'm usually really bad when it's those super tasty comfort foods.. but I think it helps to clean the dish immediately, and drinking freezing cold water so that the smell and lingering taste doesn't bring me to want more.

I actually did the dividing servings thing before. I took the package of oreos and seperated them all into 3 cookie servings snack bags. It really helps alot! Usually I'd end up eating by the sleeve.. but I can feel okay with one of those little serving bags and stopping there. ^-^
saintxio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Good for you for sticking to one bowl of lasagna. Although oreo's are not my weakness, I hear you about eating an entire sleeve of goodies. Keep up the good work!!! You are on to something good!

I'm actually laughing out loud at the idea of someone wanting to eat my frozen meals! They are not the pretty packages you see at the grocery store. There are no tantalizing pictures on the boxes. Just ingredients and heating instructions. They are chock full of veggies, whole grains and a chicken breast, pork tenderloin or cut of beef. My husband and grown sons would sooner eat the box than what comes in it. They want the chicken nuggets, salisbury steaks, pizza kind of frozen meals. None of that happening here. Anyway, I just had to share that with you....still laughing
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote