Old 09-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #1  

Unhappy I just comfort ate

Mind you, I didn't BINGE. I comfort ate; I believe those are two different things. I have been feeling very homesick and lonely recently; traveling all over Europe like this is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I am just having one of those days where I want to be curled up in warm clothes with something hot to drink on my couch with my doggy, while my mom cooks delicious fall soups and outside it is crisp and cool and fall gorgeousness. And additionally, my childhood doggy is sick with lymphoma, so I REALLY want to have a nice long cuddle with her.

In my moment of self-pity and sadness, I decided that comfort food would be a good idea(!) and for comfort food, heat is a must. The only thing hot that I have is chicken noodle soup made for the microwave(that is all we have here at my hostel). I am not doing calorie counting until I get back to Paris; my internet access is far too sketchy for that and not everything in Europe has nutritional labeling, so I have no idea how "over" my calories I am(I try to estimate around 1800 a day). But at the end of the day, I still emotionally ate, even without binging.

Just having an incredibly lonely and homesick day. And I know I posted a thread earlier that was happy and joyful, but right now I could care less about weight loss. I just want to see my family and friends. I know that sounds bad, but it's true. Right now I am an emotional, homesick mess.

Last edited by girlonfire; 09-23-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: For not knowing the difference between "too" and "two". I'm in college!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #2  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Awww, you do sound very home sick, but I am sure you could have done worse than chicken soup. Do you have some pictures with you from back home? Maybe take a peak at them or write in a journal about everything you want to share with them when you come home.

I feel for ya!

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #3  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Aww I'm sorry you're homesick. I know how it feels to be far from home and lonely.

Don't beat yourself up for comfort eating. It happens to all of us. I think you still made a reasonably healthy choice for comfort food as well. So you can be proud of that.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #4  

Thanks; I know it seems silly to be homesick being as I am almost 20 years old and I haven't really been super-homesick since I went to camp in Canada when I was 13 . I guess just one of those blues-y days. And my post was really more about how I am feeling than comfort eating. I will probably get reamed for saying this, but sometimes you just gotta have a little comfort food(within limits), but for me comfort food is soup, tea, hot coco, food that in moderation is alright.

And I think I'm getting a little bit of a bug, so that might be it too!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

It's cold, rainy, windy and yucky here at home, and even though I' not away from home, I wanted to stay in under the covers and do the same thing.

I knew my boss wouldn't see it that way though, so I trudged off to work.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #6  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Its not silly to be homesick at any age, I still get that way from time to time.

Just don't let it take too much of the short time you have to spend there.

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

You're never too old to get homesick. I'm 32 and I still get it at times when I travel (and being in a long distance relationship I travel a fair amount). Keep your chin up, do the best you can.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #8  
A Mom on a Mission!

S/C/G: 162/143/130

Height: 5'3

I'm impressed that you are even trying to lose weight/count calories while in Europe. Don't beat yourself up over chicken soup or being lonely. I hope you are feeling better. Enjoy this experience and good luck with your weight loss.
Turning30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #9  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Do you have Skype? I find that being able to talk to my boys (who live on the other friggin' end of the country!) and see them at the same time really helps.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #10  

Yeah I just Skyped with my mom earlier today, but now I can definitely feel that I am getting sick . So I guess in the end the chicken noodle soup was a good idea.

Thanks so much for the words of comfort and support! I really appreciate how everyone on this board leaps up to help those in need . Warms the little corners of my heart!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #11  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

You're right... there are differences between comfort eating and binging. I think it's ok to eat something you find comforting now and again... and a nice bowl of a soup is a great choice! It's healthy, nutrient rich, and still homey.

Hope you are enjoying Europe! That's my dream... to travel Europe for an extended period of time. I hope to do it in about 2 years...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

It's not silly to ever be homesick. It is what it is. Stay in contact with family as much as you can. Hopefully, that will tide you over until you get back to the states.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote