Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5'10"

Default Anyone lost weight without using the scale?

I think seeing the number on the scale is hindering me from losing weight in some way. If I see a gain, then I will binge. I know the body fluctuates all the time, so I am thinking that I want to follow my plan and not get on the scale frequently, maybe once a month? I want to go by how my clothes fit instead.

Anyone else done this and been successful?
fitwayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I lost about 20 pounds without the scale. I hadn't intended to lose weight [at least not as quickly as I did] so had packed away the scale. When my size 22 pants were falling off and all my belts were too big and size 18s were suddenly loose...I decided to step on again.

You can do it. The scale gives an instant reward. Lose 2 pounds see it on the scale. Clothes give a bigger reward, but it takes longer to get the payoff. If you can handle the waiting, it'll work for you.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

The scale is my way of keeping myself in check...If I dont weigh myself then I dont realize that the way I'm eating is helping or hurting...I didnt have use a scale all summer and I gained way too much weight because I wasn't being held accountable.... If you stick to your diet then you may be fine but because I wasn't checking up on myself I wasnt doing fine.
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
I lost about 20 pounds without the scale. I hadn't intended to lose weight [at least not as quickly as I did] so had packed away the scale. When my size 22 pants were falling off and all my belts were too big and size 18s were suddenly loose...I decided to step on again.

You can do it. The scale gives an instant reward. Lose 2 pounds see it on the scale. Clothes give a bigger reward, but it takes longer to get the payoff. If you can handle the waiting, it'll work for you.
I highly recommend you try this At 38, after years of focusing on a "goal weight" and "losing weight" i think I'm finally getting into my head that the goal is to lose FAT, not "weight". And you can't tell on the bathroom scale whether you are losing water, muscle, fat, or anything. So yeah, tape measure instead of scale gets my vote
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm a fan of both the scale and tape measure. I use the scale daily to keep myself in check like one of the above posters. I find that even if I see fluctuation, as long as it shows an overall decrease, I'm happy. I learned to deal with my frustration re: fluctuations about a month ago, so I don't despair or binge like I used to with increases. Everytime I drop 4-5 lbs, I take out the tape measure to see if the inches are decreasing as well. That's a way for me to tell that I'm not getting happy over water weight - other things are happening as well.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 113

Height: 5'2

Totally agree with SunnyP. I was getting into an obsessive pattern with the scale, which was just detrimental to my emotional wellbeing, so I gave it away. I used the tape instead, and my wedding dress. I have managed, this month, to zip it up all the way without struggle. Have gone from a 10 to a 2 this way, so yeap tape works best for me.
jewelweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you feel the scale is detrimental don't weigh in often- do once a week or even once a month.

I weigh in a few times a week because it keeps me in check, seeing a higher number doesn't make me binge, it helps keep me focused (though so do lower numbers as well).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #8  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyisLove View Post
The scale is my way of keeping myself in check...If I dont weigh myself then I dont realize that the way I'm eating is helping or hurting...I didnt have use a scale all summer and I gained way too much weight because I wasn't being held accountable.... If you stick to your diet then you may be fine but because I wasn't checking up on myself I wasnt doing fine.
*this*
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #9  

I think I will follow Oprah Winfrey's trainer Bob Green's advice and not weight myself the first month. I will weigh October 23rd and give my body a chance to get used to all the ups and downs and changes. If that works, then once a month it is.

Last edited by fitwayoflife; 09-23-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

7 years ago I lost almost 50 pounds in 4 months and looked at the scale... twice? in that time. I was "dieting" but it was Fun, yes a capital F.U.N. I enjoyed my dance classes, frisbee golf, hiking. I was watching my intake but not the scale.

Now I am a weigh-in fanatic... I'm trying to break myself of it.
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #11  

Thanks Uniquely. I am focusing too much on the number on the scale rather than making myself healthy, so I'm hoping this will work.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I go by my Myotape more than anything, but I always weigh myself Saturday morning like clockwork. It always drops, so it keeps me motivated to do all of my workouts!
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote