Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #1  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Talking puppy obesessed people read within...

Well my breeder is having two litters of puppies next week. One of the litters is out of the top Rough Collie in Canada currently. I honestly need another puppy like I need a hole in the head BUT I've been offered a co-ownership on a girl which would be fantastic Her breeder and I would split all of the costs involved as well as any profits eventually.

Sigh.. I'm having collie dreams again. I told Jeff it can be my 150 lbs lost present (only 1 pound away!!!!!) as she would only cost me $500 because she's a co-owned dog
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Sounds like a nice present to yourself! So does that mean you would get here half the time or something. Not sure how co=ownership works. Are Collies hypoallergenic?

I still want a dog.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundChick View Post
Sounds like a nice present to yourself! So does that mean you would get here half the time or something. Not sure how co=ownership works. Are Collies hypoallergenic?

I still want a dog.
I'd be the primary owner but she'd go with Cheryl for shows and when she's ready to whelp puppies. Basically I would be co-breeder as well so it would be a huge learning experience for me. We'd decide which shows to go to, how hard to campaign her and who to breed her to TOGETHER. It's my goal to one day become a breeder.... after I spend years learning about this great breed

Collies are not hypoallergenic but they are lowish on the allergy causing scale.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow that's great! I love Collies they are so beautiful!

Congratulations on your loss girl- 149 lbs is amazing!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Definitely a 150 present. You can't eat her!!!!! lol love my dogs.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I still want a dog.
I don't know about Canada but there are so many good dogs that need homes and there are lots of low shed/hypoallegenic friendly dogs available too. If you have shelters/rescues in your area, I'd highly encourage that you look!!

Huskies are cool dogs and I was reading something recently that a rescue near us actually takes former sledding dogs from the far north and brings them down here because otherwise they are put to sleep as there aren't enough homes to take them in where they come from. (Although I'd feel for them in the summer, it gets hot/humid!)

I'd love to have another dog and I was thinking of fostering but we have a pretty full house right now.

Last edited by nelie; 09-23-2009 at 02:05 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

I've said it before and I'll say it again... well bred dogs from breeders DO NOT take away homes from shelter dogs. Poorly bred backyard bred dogs do. I agree... if you are not into purebred dogs to better the breed then definitely get a shelter dog. We do therapy dog work with our pembroke and will with both collies as well so temperament and KNOWING the dogs abilities and tendencies are really important for me. I'll never own another dog but a Collie again
Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

Huskies are AWESOME dogs BUT they are NOT for everyone. They are high high maintenance and HIGH HIGH HIGH energy. Huskies need a job. All the time. lol!!! Another great rescue dog is Greyhounds. Total mellow couch potato's... love to go for a run and then crash. Easy keeps, don't eat much, easy to train and complete loves. And many do get put to sleep because they just done have enough homes when they are done their racing careers

I had the opportunity to meet a bunch this summer... here are some pics of My daughter Olivia with the greyhound Olivia And Madeline with... rosie I think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04864.jpg (39.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04865.jpg (38.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I don't know about Canada but there are so many good dogs that need homes and there are lots of low shed/hypoallegenic friendly dogs available too. If you have shelters/rescues in your area, I'd highly encourage that you look!!

Huskies are cool dogs and I was reading something recently that a rescue near us actually takes former sledding dogs from the far north and brings them down here because otherwise they are put to sleep as there aren't enough homes to take them in where they come from. (Although I'd feel for them in the summer, it gets hot/humid!)

I'd love to have another dog and I was thinking of fostering but we have a pretty full house right now.
We did foster a 8 month old pup this summer, she was part lab and didn't shed too much and Kale didn't have any reactions to her but she was a bit too much work, she dug up my garden several times and was very needy and I was the only one she would jump up on. She was great with the kids but at the same time a little territorial when people came over. We did keep her outside too. I miss her too but I'm sure she'll find a better home. Our shelter has very few selection and we want an inside dog, so it has to be allergy worthy since Kale is very allergic. I even check the SPCA in Whitehorse when I was there but it's mostly huskies and they are not hypoallergenic. Some mutts seem to be okay and in my family we've always had runts too! The time will come I'm sure, we'll keep looking and maybe next year I'll be ready for one.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #10  
Just Me

Quote:
We did foster a 8 month old pup this summer, she was part lab and didn't shed too much and Kale didn't have any reactions to her but she was a bit too much work, she dug up my garden several times and was very needy and I was the only one she would jump up on. She was great with the kids but at the same time a little territorial when people came over. We did keep her outside too. I miss her too but I'm sure she'll find a better home. Our shelter has very few selection and we want an inside dog, so it has to be allergy worthy since Kale is very allergic. I even check the SPCA in Whitehorse when I was there but it's mostly huskies and they are not hypoallergenic. Some mutts seem to be okay and in my family we've always had runts too! The time will come I'm sure, we'll keep looking and maybe next year I'll be ready for one.
Puppies are definitely a lot of work. One reason I prefer older dogs but even my older dogs can be a bit too much work. Actually our first dog was a bit stressful when we got her. Once we got another dog, the 2 kept eachother company and many of the problems we had before went away. Of course different dogs have different personalities and some are more chill than others. Our dogs are not chill

Again, I imagine you live in a less populated area than myself but if there are rescues in your area that specialize in the type of dog you want, you can always contact them. One of my neighbors loves (loves loves) bull dogs. They are working through a rescue and are on a wait list for a bull dog.

I also have a friend who is dedicated to a certain breed of dog, she ended up driving something like 800 miles to go get a dog from a rescue. Of course she had talked to the rescue about the dog, temperament and all that. Then after meeting the dog, she decided the dog was a good fit and brought the dog home.

Last edited by nelie; 09-23-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

one thought Donna is a standard poodle. A retired show/breeding dog is an option and often breeders are really just looking for a good home.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #12  

Yes, we've thought of the standard poodle and that may be a good option. We are just keep our ears and eyes peeled until the right one comes along. I've found few dogs in the papers but are either too expensive or too small. We need something that will live the first year with my three little thugs in the house!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

if cfmama wants to show and breed dogs, than a shelter dog is not for her. At least in California all rescue dogs are neutered so as not to spread the population. I have a rescue dog, and I love him a lot but he is only a pet. His creating days are over, actually they never started.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #14  
Just Me

bargoo - that is awesome. They generally don't neuter dogs here unless they come from rescues because most shelter dogs will be put to sleep before being adopted.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My little boys first family passed away, he was about 18 months at the time, he ended up at the humane society, even though he was young and healthy he would have been euthanized. Thank God for Tri County Rescue who bought him and had him fostered a short time before I came along and adopted him. There are many such stories, I am all for rescuing dogs and cats as well. It is a different story if you are planning to show dogs and breed them. I have done that in the past, too.

Last edited by bargoo; 09-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote