Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default *******BuCkWhEaT*******

I tried to make the thread title exciting because I am excited about this stuff and want some info. from you ladies about it.

It seems like it's a better alternative to whole wheat flour nutritionally. My children and hubby eat waffles and pancakes often. The cost is much higher. In your opinon, is the stuff worth the extra cost? Otherwise, I will use it sparingly on salmon patties and the like. Last night I did make cornbread with it.

Also, is it available in the bulk bins? I purchased the organic buckwheat flour and have been using it the last few days. I read last night it should be refrigerated though--but I bought it off a store shelf.

Do you find it still in the hull---and grind it yourself--like with the flaxseed?

Thanks ladies. Tell me what you know.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I am always in favor of diversifying your different foods. Buckwheat and wheat aren't the same. I think it's great to try both. You might find a preference though.

I personally will watch reponses to your question. I normally eat the grains whole (mostly brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat) and use whole wheat flour for baking. I haven't ventured out to other uses of flours--mostly for time. I have been mostly using raw veggies and unprocessed grains with beans. When I've time, I might make a stir fry with my veggies and beans.

Nice exciting thread. The title did capture my attention. Very invigorating.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried it yet but have been wanting to. I think groats are buckwheat (i.e., the whole grain version instead of flour)?

I think they recommend in general to keep whole grains refrigerated as the oils can go rancid. I think probably if your kitchen is not too hot and you're not storing them a long time, it probably doesn't matter too much.

Like aradajnos said, it's not the same as wheat, even though wheat is in the name. I believe it's gluten-free, which means you couldn't simply substitute buckwheat flour for whole wheat flour and get the same results.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-23-2009 at 11:37 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat buckwheat groats and think they are awesome but I generally stick to whole wheat pastry flour if I need a flour. I rarely use flour though so it isn't a big deal for me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #5  

There is a tradition of buckwheat crepes in France and I think you see blini when people do caviar (so Russian?) Maybe try googling in those areas.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Buckwheat pancakes are one of my favorite foods! Especially with real maple syrup. I've never made them myself (mostly because I haven't found affordable buckwheat flour) but there are tons of recipes online. I'm not sure if you could just substitute it for most of the flour in your usual recipe and maintain the texture.

Here's a bunch of recipes that include buckwheat - there are lots of pancakes of course, but also some breads, muffins, even a pizza crust. http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.ph...%2Frecipes.php

Last edited by mayness; 09-22-2009 at 10:11 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/265.5/133

Height: 5'3"

If you like noodles, Japanese soba noodles are made from buckwheat and are very easy to make yourself. I eat them every other day and find them more interesting/filling/nutritious than other noodles, also lower calories and carbs, and higher protein. I wouldn't be without buckwheat but I can't comment on price/availability because I'm in Japan, where it's cheap.
Newlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

My "bible" of sorts for all things healthy is Jane Brody's Good Food Book. I looked up Buckwheat--and she has lots of interesting info. I went to google--and there is her book!!

The information starts on p. 68.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=It6y...titute&f=false

Very interesting!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #9  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Alana in Canada,

Wow, thanks for posting that book on line. I love how they have some of them on line thru google like that.

I was a raw foodist for a while and used to make sprouted buckwheat crust for veggie pizza.. good stuff!
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote