Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Spaghetti Squash...

...ROCKS!!!

I have just now, at the age of 37, discovered spaghetti squash! I feel like I've been living under a rock my whole life! It is soooo good and even my kids--who are squash phobic--said, "It tastes just like spaghetti!!! Awesome!!!".

Spaghetti squash will be a permanent part of our dinner choices from here on out!!

So if you've never tried it and you like/love spaghetti--give it a try!! Mmmm!

Last edited by iDream; 09-21-2009 at 01:21 PM.
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I love it too and right now I have at least a dozen of them in my garden!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #3  

Need someone to come take them off your hands?
I have just added it to my list of must haves in our garden next year!!

Btw, your doggie is adorable! I had one that looked almost exactly the same as that! His name was Henry--he was a good dog.

Last edited by iDream; 09-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

I love it too, just discovered it. I love raw foods and all, but sometimes I want something vegan and cooked. Pasta, ew, spaghetti squash FTW!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

i would like to try this-does anyone have a recipe?
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitetoobreakkskin View Post
i would like to try this-does anyone have a recipe?
I did mine the like lazy way. I just cut one in half, put it on a microwave safe bowl or platter (glass), put the cut half side down, and I covered it with microwave safe plastic wrap. Then I nuked it for 8 minutes. It steamed it. After it was done I took the plastic wrap off and let it sit for just a bit. Then I turned it over and ran a fork through the flesh, which gives you the strands.

You can also roast it in the oven. I assume you wrap it in foil and roast it maybe at 350 or 400 degrees for a time. I would try that, only my oven is bad and burns everything from the bottom, so I have to depend on my microwave.

Any way you do it, then you can add what you want to it as you would pasta.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 09-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #7  

I did it the exact same way--but with 1/4 cup of water added to the dish.

I had no idea it was so yummy! And hard to cut through! Had to use my new found muscles to get my knife through it! (I'm talkin' about before I cooked it of course )

Last edited by iDream; 09-21-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #8  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

Ooohh I love this stuff! We grow it every year in our garden. It is great with meatballs and sauce, such a good squash.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #9  

We just found some chicken sausage at Sam's club--Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic (120 cals and 5gms of fat per link) and Spinach & Asiago Cheese (110/4.5gms) and I tired a Mozzzarella & Roasted Garlic one today with the squash and added 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce--insanely good and I felt like I was eating off plan the whole time--but I wasn't!!

The only thing I'm bummed about is that I didn't discover it until now--I totally wish I had tried it last Winter so I could have planted some!! I also have an acorn squash (I've been anti-veggie most of my life and have been branching out more and more since I started my weight loss journey) that I need to find a good recipe for, so I bet you'll be seeing another post in a couple of days from me shouting from the rooftops about how good that is too!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #10  
sugar is the devil

Here's an oven recipe that was posted by rockinrobin on a thread last week... I saved it so I could try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I poke a few holes in it with a fork. Microwave it for about 5 minutes, to soften a bit. Then I cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Lay it in a pan with about 1 - 2 inches of water. Cut side down. Cover it with foil. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour or so, depending on the size, or until it is very soft (that's how I like it). When it's done, I just scoop out the flesh with a big spoon. I like to eat it with a tomato based sauce. Very often I'll saute lots of onions, portobello mushrooms, peppers, then I'll either added canned diced tomatoes and spices or just some jarred marinara sauce. Then I'll sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese. Yumm. I've also added chicken strips to the saute mix and have made a yummy full meal out of it.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree! SO GOOD! I like it tossed with a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and basil as a side dish too...maybe add in a few chopped up garden tomatoes...yum!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I feel like I've been living under a rock my whole life!
I know EXACTLY what you mean. All these wonderful, nutritious, natural, healthy DELICIOUS foods that I never paid any attention to.

I've got a spaghetti squash sitting here in my kitchen. I'm jealous, I've got no garden.

We all love it here, but no one thinks it's identical to spaghetti. The only thing I've found spaghetti-like about it is I suppose the strands, though it's not the same consistency as pasta.

But again, we LOVE it nevertheless. You get to eat loads of it for very few calories and lots of filling power and nutrition. So to me, it's BETTER then the "real" thing.

I find it very bland and therefore I usually serve it with a tomato based, heavily spiced sauce. Very often loaded with other veggies - sauteed portobello mushrooms, onions, peppers and sometimes chicken strips - all with the tomato sauce. Then I'll sprinkle on a little Parmesean cheese. Delish.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

SweetScrumptious, we posted at the same time. Thanks for finding my "recipe".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9"

I hear you! I just tried it for the first time like 8 months ago - I LOVE IT!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #15  

Mmm, all of these yummy suggestions sound so good!!!

Rockinrobin~ I literally feel like I'm eating food for the first time! I spent so much of my life eating convienience foods that were packed with sodium and sugar and then all the sweets I used to eat that were full of nothing but empty calories...ugh! I'm eating food now that I NEVER thought I would! One in particular is tomatoes--I've always been able to tolerate cooked tomatoes if they were part of a spaghetti sauce, but if there was a chunk too big for my liking I'd avoid it. Raw tomatoes--no way, no how you could ever get me to eat one--EVER! Now that I'm living this new lifestyle, I throw tomatoes in just about all of my veggie dishes!!! My favorite are grape or cherub tomatoes! Mmmmm!

Now if I could just get my kids on board I'd be set!

Last edited by iDream; 09-21-2009 at 01:46 PM.