South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #1  

Default First timer...need tips please!

So, I finally found SBD which I think will work for me...I just really don't want to add another failed diet to the list. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/recipes? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!!
Niki1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #2  

WELCOME Niki1081!!
The advice I would give to you is:
1. Read the book if you haven't already.
2. Plan your menus.
3. Come here often for support - these chicks are the best!
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Explore this Beach part of the Forum. Check out the recipes. Check out the FAQ stickies. Join the Phase I Thread and the Daily chat.
You'll be fine.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Read the book so you can know what to eat -- then go shopping. If you have the right foods available, you won't be tempted by the wrong foods. Nice to meet you!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Plan on preparing your meals at home and limit your outside eating in the beginning. Don't let yourself get too hungry. Try to eat something every 3 hours or so. Experiment with new foods, especially beans and veggies. Reading the book is vital to the plan. Weigh yourself only once a week.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  

Hi Niki! Welcome to the Beach!

Reading the book is a great start. It will walk you through everything you need to know and do. There are also great and easy recipes to help you get through the first few weeks. Actually, recipes are included through each phase.

Good luck to you with your weight loss. I'm sure you'll enjoy this way of life.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone! Especially murphmitch. I was going to ask you all about weighing yourselves, because I was going to do daily weights to keep track, but after day 1 I GAINED 2 1/2 lbs! So I am a little discouraged today to say the least...but now that I know I should only weigh once a week I will try that next.
Niki1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Plan on preparing your meals at home and limit your outside eating in the beginning. Don't let yourself get too hungry. Try to eat something every 3 hours or so. Experiment with new foods, especially beans and veggies. Reading the book is vital to the plan. Weigh yourself only once a week.
I agree with murphmitch....cutting out going out has been huge for bf and I the last 4 weeks. Planning is very important. Knowing what you have on hand at home for meals, and meal prep. I did alot of internet recipe investigation.....which led me to this site. (thank goodness!) One thing the bf and I found to be helpful is the local farmers market.....they have great produce, and it is usually cheaper then the local store.

We do a lot of playing around with seasonings, and taking something ordinary, and making it different or new. Mashed cauliflower is amazing......or sauteed, zucchini, yellow squash,mushrooms and onions. Sautee green beans in garlic and olive oil, add a small amount of almond slivers at the end. Stir fry your fave SB veggies, add a touch of ginger, garlic and a very small amount of Soy Sauce(no msg!) and rice wine vinegar. YUM!

FInd spice mixes to season your food. Mrs Dash is great, several flavors.....and no added sugar! We have been able to find several organic salad dressings that are very low carb and no sugar. We use these at times to baste our meat with....as a dipping sauce, or on veggies.
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1081 View Post
Thanks everyone! Especially murphmitch. I was going to ask you all about weighing yourselves, because I was going to do daily weights to keep track, but after day 1 I GAINED 2 1/2 lbs! So I am a little discouraged today to say the least...but now that I know I should only weigh once a week I will try that next.
I only weigh myself one day a week. I think bloating and water weight, especially at the beginning tend to play with your numbers a bit. Keep your chin up.....the numbers do go down. Just follow the plan, and it will happen.
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #10  

I weigh myself daily but I don't get discouraged if the numbers go up. This helps keep me accountable and helps me focus on what I consume daily. Weighing in is not my only way of looking at how I lose. I lose inches as well.

Either way, the South Beach way of life is a very good way to go. It is truly a lifestyle change. A positive change indeed.

Wishing you the best.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/148/130

Height: 5 ' 2"

hi, good luck to you, if I can do the south beach, believe me any one can!
here are some of my tips.
read the book, cover to cover.
plan your menus
try to prepare as much as you can on the weekends.
only eat until you are statisfied, not until you are stuffed!
if I can not read the ingredient on a product , I will not eat it.
I truley love the south beach way off eating, once you get started you will never look back.
june65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1081 View Post
I was going to ask you all about weighing yourselves, because I was going to do daily weights to keep track, but after day 1 I GAINED 2 1/2 lbs! So I am a little discouraged today to say the least...but now that I know I should only weigh once a week I will try that next.
When I first started SB, I was really concerned about eating portions that were too big. I, too, really looked to the scale to measure my results. After 4 1/2 mos. OP, the ups and down are just that; daily fluxuations that have nothing to do with my progress. I agree with Sunshine, that it CAN be part of a person's daily routine, if it's not a source of discouragement.

I find that if I eat OP, and am sensible about my choices that I continue to steadily lose. If i'm hungry I make a decision as to what I can eat that will satisfy me and allow me to comfortably continue OP.

For me, this will not be a WOL that lasts if I am hungry and discouraged....and today I'm neither.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Niki! Asking for help is a great way to ensure success! You definitely should read the book first. It's crucial to success on this plan.

Check out these threads in our FAQ for more help getting started:
New to The Beach?
Emergency Handbook Guide for Phase One
Southbeach OverviewMaking this work in real life
Scales Lie!

You may also want to check out this thread, which is stickied in the main forum:
Prepare Yourself to Start South Beach
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

one Piece of advice I can give is prepack your snacks so if you're out and hungry you have somethign safe to eat and don't have to forage
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
one Piece of advice I can give is prepack your snacks so if you're out and hungry you have somethign safe to eat and don't have to forage
This has been a critical part of success for me too. I always try to have string cheese, SF pudding or plain yogurt, fruit (on Phase II) or nuts in my purse. Sometimes take my salad dressing with me if I'm going somewhere for a meal. This has been a lifesaver and I heartily recommend doing something like this!

Last edited by murphmitch; 09-21-2009 at 03:09 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote