Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #1  

Thumbs up General MRC questions

Hello everyone. My name is Ginna and I am just starting the Metabolic diet again. I had been on it a little over a year ago and I lost about 20 lbs.

When I was previously on the diet, I was always in a hurry so I had made meals from the menus that I can prepare quickly such as salads with eggs and meat. Now that I am really getting into cooking and have more time, I plan on cooking my meals. So here are my questions:

1. Are there any limitations on spices I can use? And which ones can I use? (Especially any kinds of salts).
2. Am I allowed to eat condiments? If so, how much?
3. As far as the serving size for the proteins, do they have to be 6 oz. AFTER or BEFORE it's cooked?
4. Am I allowed to use any kind of oil as long as I do not exceed the suggested 2 teaspoon amount? (I use virgin oil and sesame oil).
5. Instead of eating a hard block of cheddar cheese, would I be able to eat Velveeta cheese in the block form?
6. Which menu do I start out on? I was informed that I start with 3 then move down to the first one.
7. Isn't there a specific menu for the first week? I remember the first week's menu was pretty lenient, but I had to cut out coffee, sugar, a lot of carbs.
8. Is there a limit on beef on any of the weeks or is it all of the weeks? For example, I think I remember a limit on beef for twice a week for menu 2 at dinner only.
9. Am I allowed to drink milk? I can't remember...
10. Are there any specific limitations?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sincerely,

Ginna
gdm2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm2118 View Post
Hello everyone. My name is Ginna and I am just starting the Metabolic diet again. I had been on it a little over a year ago and I lost about 20 lbs.

When I was previously on the diet, I was always in a hurry so I had made meals from the menus that I can prepare quickly such as salads with eggs and meat. Now that I am really getting into cooking and have more time, I plan on cooking my meals. So here are my questions:

1. Are there any limitations on spices I can use? And which ones can I use? (Especially any kinds of salts).
2. Am I allowed to eat condiments? If so, how much?
3. As far as the serving size for the proteins, do they have to be 6 oz. AFTER or BEFORE it's cooked?
4. Am I allowed to use any kind of oil as long as I do not exceed the suggested 2 teaspoon amount? (I use virgin oil and sesame oil).
5. Instead of eating a hard block of cheddar cheese, would I be able to eat Velveeta cheese in the block form?
6. Which menu do I start out on? I was informed that I start with 3 then move down to the first one.
7. Isn't there a specific menu for the first week? I remember the first week's menu was pretty lenient, but I had to cut out coffee, sugar, a lot of carbs.
8. Is there a limit on beef on any of the weeks or is it all of the weeks? For example, I think I remember a limit on beef for twice a week for menu 2 at dinner only.
9. Am I allowed to drink milk? I can't remember...
10. Are there any specific limitations?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sincerely,

Ginna
1. Unlimited salt free spices. Sea salt is sparingly
2. condiments are mrc mayo from cookbook and mustard
3. the weight is after cooking for proteins
4. heart healthy oils, olive oil and the mayo is with safflower oil
5. not sure if velveeta counts as a cheese
6. menu depends on your weight. beige for over 200 lbs and green under 200
7. the first week is preconditioning, you choose something from each of the 4 lists for each meal. decrease caffine, soda.
8. think that the beef is only twice weekly for all menus but not sure
9. no milk
Good luck!
Lori123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

no velveeta, sorry.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/See Ticker/134

Height: 5'4"

At my food instruction they said that if you can roll the cheese into a ball with your fingers then it's not OP hard cheese acceptable.
desilu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

That is kinda too bad cause I kind of like Velveeta in small amounts. I also like the laughing cow cheeses. I bought a bunch of them at Costco and now there just sitting in the fridge.. .. It is ok.. I will eat them someday..

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 AM   #6  

Wow! Thank you everyone for your answers. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/311/175

Height: 5'3"

Question:

I have been faithful about following my MRC menu, tonight, the 18th i blew it, i have a sore throat it is awful and i have used 3 creamy chick and veg soups, i really don't want to eat, i just want to drink what do i do. is it ok to use the HNS drinks for all my meals just for 24 to 48 hours?
Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated...
misswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswings View Post
Question:

I have been faithful about following my MRC menu, tonight, the 18th i blew it, i have a sore throat it is awful and i have used 3 creamy chick and veg soups, i really don't want to eat, i just want to drink what do i do. is it ok to use the HNS drinks for all my meals just for 24 to 48 hours?
Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated...
Sounds like you are coming down with what I am slowly getting over with. Sore throat was my first sign...then downhill after that. I was out of work for over a week. It is no fun. Drinking water was very hard because I just wasn't up to it....as long as eating anything. I bought the clear chicken broth HNS and added cauliflower, celery and a bit of onion and it was the best soup ever....at least when you are sick with this crap. It really was a life saver and it was simple to prepare. I really feel for you because it is no fun. Hang in there and don't plan to over do it, because your energy level is very low through the entire time it is in your body.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Fifties Lady. You are sick. Take care of yourself first and worry about the diet after. Drink water as much as you can so you don't get dehydrated. Try low salt soups or make with the hns for nutritional value. Rest and get well soon!
Lori123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #10  

Frist reply and the order of the notes is a little goofy, but here goes.....

Weight your protein after it is cooked. Vegatables are measured raw or cooked. Amounts vary according to your diet plan.

Spices are great, but limit the salt. It just adds water weight.

Someone already added comments about Velveeta; it is too processed, so many carbs and salt would by my guess. Have not eaten it in years.

Most of your questions sound like you are trying to do this without a counselor. I don't think that is wise. They are great at motivating you, but also explaining all the diet stages. It is not just the same diet all the way through.

I just began this program a week ago; I do well on high-protein diets. So far so good. Four pounds are already gone! I wish you luck. I want to lose about 50 pounds and I think this is the only way I can do it. I work as a nurse and used to care for bariatric surgery patients. While it is salvation for some, it is not without risk.
Donna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #11  

Default no MRC centers in the state of va

Yes, I am actually trying to do this without a counselor because I live in VA and there aren't any MRC here. I know for a fact there aren't any centers in the city I live in nor the neighboring cities.

I was on this diet before and I loved it so I am trying to get back on it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm2118 View Post
Yes, I am actually trying to do this without a counselor because I live in VA and there aren't any MRC here. I know for a fact there aren't any centers in the city I live in nor the neighboring cities.

I was on this diet before and I loved it so I am trying to get back on it.
GDM,

Well you have the "next best thing"....US!!!!! Just post away and we will support you. Good Luck on your weight loss!
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #13  

lol thank you!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

Good luck, gdm! There are some very experienced and knowledgable MRC clients in this forum, so I think you should be fine.
Phat not Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #15  

Default Questions

Any Herbs, extracts or spices are ok. You can do some really cool things with extracts such as banana, mint, etc.
abmrc is offline   Reply With Quote