Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #46

Starting a new thread . . . . .

Susan -- On the Today Show this morning, the reporter said the Patrick Swayze's mother taught him ballet and dance. She was a dance teacher and that is how he met his wife; she took dance lessons from his mom too. We had some football players take ballet a few years ago. I would love to have been a fly on the wall. I'm sure you will love your new sewing machine! My mom had a Singer machine that did nothing but stitch forward. It was a desk model and had many, many miles on it. She bought a portable when the fancy stitches came out, but she wouldn't give up her desk model for anything. When she died my dad gave it to a sewing group at church, and they were thrilled to get it.

Maggie -- I've never heard of pork squares. I'm picturing something like pork tenderloins cut into that shape. Another thing that was new to the state fair was chocolate covered bacon on a stick. That really doesn't sound good to me -- didn't look very good either. We had potato chips dipped in chocolate this summer -- not my favorite but the sweet and salt together was ok. One of my nieces brought it to a picnic at the lake.

I'm off to fold kitchen towels that should be dry by now.

Last edited by Jean; 09-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! It thunderstormed most of last night so was kind of noisy around our house between the thunder and lightening and the heavy rain pounding the condo. I hope we have some sun today.

Jack's dr was happy with Jack's weight loss and he is now down 34 lbs and he has less than 10 to go. They did push him to exercise more, which he absolutely hates, but in his defense he does do a lot of walking and climbing stairs between home and his job so he does get some exercise. Dr ask him to do it on his day off is what he said.

My dr called me last night and said I have to have a biopsy. The ultrasound came back and I still have "endometrial lining" on my uterus is how I think she put it so I am going to have it done on the 12th when I go in to have her check and see how my new bp meds are working and the results on my mammogram and my cholesterol etc tests. It is always something I guess. She just said I shouldn't still have lining so she wants it checked out. I looked it up and my obesity, combined with hypertension and later menopause makes endometrial cancer more of an issue. She said to be sure and take Motrin or some such before I go. It also says it will cause a lot of cramping. Oh goody, cramping too! Poor Jack is all upset about it, but I hope I explained it well enough to him to keep some of the fear at bay. Though I can't say there is not concern from me, I try not to get ahead of myself until I have to face whatever it is or isn't. His family was riddled and I mean riddled with all types of cancer so of course it makes him all upset. Of his grandmother's 8 sister she and 6 others passed from some sort of cancer, as did his dad, his mother's brother and sister, and a couple cousins thrown in there too. I am sure it is nothing and will probably show I am just not completely through menopause for some reason, but it needs to be done so we will get it done.

Jean: Euuwwwww chocolate bacon? Even I wouldn't eat that and I love both bacon and chocolate! I hear deep fried twinkies are to die for. Bad boy Jack got Ruby Tuesday's cheesecake yesterday and I had a couple bites and boy was it good. They put a lot of vanilla in their plain cheesecake and it makes it really delicious.

Susan: Like I said, I signed up a RT and the next day they sent me a buy one get one so that is where we went. I was totally starving by the time we got there at 1 o'clock from the dr, but filled up on salad and got the little sirloin with green beans and potato and took a good portion of it home. It is a very filling meal and we saved $14! Can't ever beat that. I felt sorry for our server. He said he is scrambling to make money as Jack talked to him after we overheard him say that Monday night he earned just $7 in tips and he usually works days but took on the extra shift because he needed the money. Poor guy is looking to get a second job. Good thing he is young. We gave him a nice fat 25% tip on the original amount since we saved so much money on lunch.

Maggie: We will probably go tomorrow and get the microwave. I found the one I want at the price within the budge. It is a 2.2 cu ft, which is huge with a 1250 watt power so I just hope the thing lasts as long as our last two.

Well gals, I need to get chores done, the upstairs started and finish the first sleeve if I can. Have a good hump day!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 09-16-2009 at 08:06 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! I have a dump truck full of sand idling in front of my house. The neighbor across the street had a back hoe digging out along the shoreline last week. I don't think there's enough room for a dump truck to get back to the lake side if that's where the sand is to go. Otherwise it's a truck full of sand for the new house being built in the "swamp" at the end of the street. I'll bet they have hauled in a hundred truckloads of dirt, cement riffraff, and sand for fill. The guy just moved the truck to the other side of the street and dumped the sand in the street! Guess it is going to be moved by wheelbarrows and man power. If nothing else I can watch the comings and goings across the street! This is the same family that has 3 teenage foster daughters; one has a 2 year old, one is pregnant, and one looks like she belongs to He**s Angels. Someone is always on the move over there!

"Gma" -- Will the doctor do the biopsy in the office? I hope that all turns out ok. They found the same thing when I had my hysterectomy and I had to wait 6 months to start hrt. We bought a box of individual bite sized cheesecake squares the last time we were at SAM's Club. There were 3 flavors and the plain one had a lemon flavor -- it was very good. There was raspberry and turtle also. I'm thinking about getting a box for card club next time. Even the grandkids liked them. Glad you got your RT coupon and enjoyed your meal. I don't know how servers make any money at all. We have noticed that the local restaurants never seem too busy around suppertime.

I need to get dressed and fold towels for a starter. Today is my lunch date with the high school retirees. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Rain is on the way.

Faye, I'm glad you got your RT coupon. Like I said, we get 1 or 2 a month in the newspaper. I hope everything turns out good from the biopsy. It's always better to get it checked out.

Jean, chocolate covered bacon, what will they think of next? It sounds disgusting. They wouldn't get away with filling in the swamp in VA. Here we call it wetlands and there are stiff fines. We had one builder in the area that tried and he had to pay for the cleanup. The laws have changed in the last decade and we got a notice from the state that if we ever had damage that required rebuilding, like a fire or hurricane, we would not be allowed to do it because we are too close to the wetlands, although 8 feet above.

Maggie, I hope you took a little time from the typing to work on your glass.

I have quilting bee tonight so that will be fun.

Have a good day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Stayed up late watching movies last night. Got 3 fom Netfex and marithoned them. They were all good. We haven't seen any movies in a long time so we will have a lot of "new to us" to check out. I made a yummy dinner last evenig. I had thawed some pocket porkchops that we had purchased from our favorite butcher shop. Stuffed them with stove top stuffing to which I had added sauteed chopped celery, onion and sliced mushrooms. I stuffed then placed the chops on a bed of the stuffing and poured a can of sugar free apple pie filling over the top and baked it for 45 min at 400. Will thought I was nuts when he saw me dump that can on the chops but shook his head and said, "You are the gourmet." He loved it and said it is a 5 star do again. I love it when a plan comes together. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE Girlfriend you have a good attitude about your upcomoing test. It is not good to borrow trouble. I will pray that it all comes out well for you. I bet that microwaive you have picked out to purchase is a twin to my new one. Same wattage and size and brand. You will love it. to your main sqeeze for that good weight loss. He will certainly lose the next 10 pounds soon by the way he is going.

JEAN The pork squares were just cut out of good lean pork and I don't know what the name of the section of the pig was but it was very tender without any fat on it. I can't imagine anyone liking chocolate covered bacon but I am sure there are some that do. But . . . YUM ~ cheesecake squares sound to die for. You just may see some neighborhood cats frolicking in that sand they have dumped across the street. Have a great time at your luncheon.

SUSAN So if a person in your neighboorhood that lives near that water get the double whammey if they have the unfortionate loss of their home ~ they also lose their property that their home occupied. What a miss carriage of "justice." Don't they even receive a lot to rebuild on elsewhere? Out in CA when we lived there ~ they were building a freeway and bought up all the homes except one which the folks refused to sell. They built the freeway on both sides of that mans property and he gets to live there as long as he has a breath in his body. I can't imagine living between two freeways but that was his home and that is what he wanted. That was years ago and I imagine now days they would force him to move out.

Well folks I need to get off this little machine and get some work done. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-16-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #6  

Good morning to you ladies! I hope your day is going well. I am going to be going upstairs and work on the upstairs a bit more. I never got up there and got any work done yesterday. I just had the blahs, partly because of all this dreary weather and partly because I researched the biopsy and got some not too exciting perspectives from other women who have had it done. Hopefully, I will just have a few cramps and not the "I am going to die if they don't stop" kind that some of the women talked about. I have a decent pain threshold I think so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Susan: Va is very protective of the dismal swamp wetlands and area and boy oh boy you better toe the line about messing with it. We didn't live very far from the swamp area and they had all kinds of signs about dumping stuff and what you could and couldn't do if you were going to be at the beach area, etc.

Maggie: I just can't believe how much I now depend on a microwave along with all the other techy stuff we have. I was talking to Jack about it and said we depend so much on the microwave, the cell phone our computers, etc. Back when we were kids if you needed to call someone you pulled over to a gas station or whatever and used a payphone, if you cooked it was with the stove or an electric skillet, period, you needed info it was the phone book, the library, or newspapers and magazines. I mean, I was married before we even had cable and I thought that was amazing along with color tv, which only my grandpa had.

Jean: Yes my gp is doing the biopsy. I did give her some erroneous info about my last period. My first surgery was 2 years ago not three and I looked at the charting I have done since 2005 and found I had stuff going on later than that so I printed it all off with a letter to the dr and mailed it to her to look at. She may decide to wait just a bit and see what happens or decide to go ahead with it. I am not having any bad symptoms like heavy bleeding or cramping, pain or any of that. My aches and pains are almost always weather related in my bones or gas related since I seem to have more issues with that since my second surgery. I can tell because there is rumbling when I have gassiness, which seems to always occur if I am uncomfortable at all. We shall see what she says. It amazes me she even calls me to be frank. I plan on asking her how much longer her residency is at the clinic because I will then have to get another dr.

Well gals, I need to get a move on. Hope you day goes gangbusters!
Faye
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a bright day in my neighborhood, and is supposed to hit 85 today. It was warm and humid last night so had windows open and ceiling fans going. I love this weather but am waiting for the "other" shoe to drop so to speak. I need to vacuum and could make a grocery run if the spirit moves me. Bob has a meeting/class today; at the end they have to pass a test with 90% or they can't sell whatever it is. He had some practice test questions to study from and has been doing that for the past week. I would be a wreck, but he seems to think it will be ok.

Susan -- The area at the end of our street is not really what I think of when I said "swamp." (no alligators!) It is mushy ground and damp because there is a tiny stream and it is near the marina going into the lake. When Jason was little the boys liked to go down there and play since it was woodsy. He always came home dirty and damp. The guy who bought the land wanted to build a 4-plex; the neighbors got together and stopped that plan. The sewage lift station is near there and if it rains too fast or the electricity goes off, the alarm goes off, and the last 4 houses have to shut off their valves or they will get sewage in their basements. They didn't want 4 more households adding to the mix. That guy decided to build just one house for himself, but couldn't sell his house in town so decided to sell. The guy building now has a fancy house on the other side of the lake but it is close to a public beach and boat access; he says it is too busy and noisy during the nice weather months. Kids like to hang out there and the parties can get pretty wild.

Maggie -- Your pork chop dinner sounds delicious! Have you ever thought about starting a business like "Maggie's Meals on Wheels?" We saw a movie preview the last time we went to a show. It's a John Travolta movie, but I don't remember the name. It's either been here and gone, or hasn't been here yet. Sometimes they come back again but I'm not good about checking the listing in the paper.

"Gma" -- I'm glad to know you don't always stick to your cleaning schedule. I keep thinking I should make a schedule but know I probably wouldn't follow it. I tend to clean whatever when I see the dust and finger/foot prints in the sunlight. I do do bathrooms regularly though. I am surprised your doctor calls you too. It would be nice if they all did that as a pr service if nothing else.

I need to get busy since I didn't get much yesterday. Have a super duper day and remember to !

Jean -- and from Iowa!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies. Rain and cooler today.

I had a good time at quilting bee last night. Nothing special for tonight or the weekend. I'll spend the time cleaning and getting to know my Featherweight.

Faye, Since I had the 4 intestional sugeries, I find I get a lot of gas if I eat too many carbs. Since I have my toaster ove, George Foreman grill, electric skillet and microwave, I hardly turn the stove on. The wetlands, Great Dismal Swamp, and historical sites are highly protected by VA. They often require and archeological dig before anything can be built - and find some pretty amazing stuff, I might add.

Maggie, your pork chops sound wonderful. I always like apples with pork. It's pretty unlikely that we'll have total damage to our houses, but there was nothing in there about being reimbursed if it happened. I think I'm going to try to get my real estate tax reduced because of it. They are appraising again early next year.

Jean, how did it go with the sand or is it still in the street?

Have a great day.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another lovely day in the Heartland. I'm a bit excited for some friends from Texas are stopping by here next Tuesday on their way to SD. We have known them for years upon years and it will be great to see them again. Will bought me a bag of those Act II popcorn balls they put out this time of the year. Only 2 points each and they are good but not as good as the ones I make. This is a good time of the year to buy those small sized snacks because of the trick or treat day companies make them. The expiration date on these balls is next February so I will have them to munch on for awhile. Not much going on here this day for Will is at his volunteer time at the cancer place and I am here with the 3 piece live entertainment center (called Cats and Dog.) I'll be working on my glass.

DONNA FAYE I know what you mean about becoming dependent on appliances. There is so much I do with my micrwave and don't want to be without one. Other ones also like my paninni maker. Hopefully your biopsy won't give you excrusiating pain.

JEAN Bob will surely pass that test. I wonder why folks want to build on wet lands. Makes no sence to me. Water got there once and will get there again. What ever the name of that latest John T's ~ I am sure we will be seeing it. I like his acting.

SUSAN I have a feather weight sewing machine and love it. Got rid of my Bernina when we downsized into that motorhome and really don't miss it for this little jewel does what I need in this phase of my life. I am glad you found what you needed for a gal needs the proper tools to do what t is she wants to do.

All y'all have a groovy rest of this lovely day. Type at ya later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-17-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #10  

I think I have caught the blahs from Donna! I just have no ambition today and wander from one thing to the next without finishing anything. Bob will wonder what in the world I have done today! Maybe I need a nap! He has church practice at 5 so maybe I can accomplish something by the time he gets home.

Susan -- The man of the house , across the street, and his father used a skid steer loader to move the pile of sand to the back of the house; it didn't take them very long at all. We just had county wide property/house appraisals done; it would be nice if we could sell at what they appraised our house!

Maggie -- OK, what/how do you make your popcorn balls? I've only made them once in my lifetime and that was when Jason was in 6th grade. Another mom and I were room mothers together and she volunteered her kitchen if I would help her. We used Jell-o to make red and green; I just remember them being very sticky! One of the grocery stores sells really big pop corn balls -- they are hard as a rock, but really good after a few minutes in the microwave. Bob did pass the test! There were 5 different tests and most everyone failed the first time around. They had to stand in line to have their test corrected and then were given a different test to take. There were some taking it for the 3rd time when Bob left. Oh, the name of JT's movie is "Old Dogs" with Robin Williams.

I really do need to get something done this afternoon!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another beautiful sunny day in my corner of the world. It is supposed to be in the 80s again; the weatherman says "cooler" is on the way. Our leaves are starting to fall off our tree in the front which makes a difference in the amount of sunlight coming in. Today is more cleaning and picking up the piles. I swear I am not going to renew my "pile-it license!"

Our TV remote, box, or maybe the TV itself is on the fritz! Bob called again yesterday and the tech told him to take the remote in and exchange it for a new one. Bob thinks it is the HD box which means a service guy will have to come out again. I just hope it's not the TV itself.

I need to put my happy face on and head for the garage. Have a great day and do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies. Overcast but nice today.

I've also got the blahs today. Don't feel like doing nothing but I have to get my housework done today because I'm going to a quilt show in Glouster tomorrow. All I've got done today is take the trash out and unload the dishwasher. I've got to get upstairs and work on those rooms after I vacuum downstairs.

Jean, I knew Bob would make the grade. Good for him. Property appraisals around here are also more than you can sell the place for. Luckily I get the senior discount on property taxes.

Maggie, Featherweights are much prized by quilters. I also have a Pfaff 6270 which I love but it is heavy to carry around and computerized so I don't like to take it out of the sewing table. I also have a Singer.

Well, I have to give myself a push and get busy doing my housework. Have a good day!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all! Wow, looks like Jean has had the gift of gab! I thought I had missed two days posting so I went back and checked and nope, Jean just had a lot to tell us, I guess!

Jean: My house is all done now except on Monday I start in again with the downstairs. It seems to come around so often. I went into Jack's office to collect the trash out of his little trashcan and it was disgusting, overflowing with computer paper, notes on games he plays and diet mountain dew plastic bottles and cans. ICK! It was all sticky and nasty. I am going to shoot him for not emptying it himself. Good for Bob, we knew he could do it. Jack is the same way about tests. Nothing phases him and I am a nervous wreck. I don't have good memory skills so it is hard for me sometimes unless I put stuff to music or poetry. I got a 3.6 gpa in college by studying for tests that way. Nothing is better than psychology terms to the tune of happy birthday or something! Jack is amazed by the fact that I can sing songs all different kinds without hesitating one bit as they just flow, but memorization of anything else is a toughy for me. For example, those catchy freecreditreport.com songs, I can sing every one verbatim. The trickiest for me is the roller coaster one as it twists the tongue, but I even have a handle on that one now. I only clean once a week and touch up where I have to. The kitchen gets cleaned up every evening after dinner, wiped down with clorox or lysol sheets, but as for cleaning I only do the big cleaning once a week. It just seems like I am always cleaning! We too have the leaves coming down with the rain now. The deck is getting to be a mess, but we have had rain everyday for about a week so I can't get out there and clean anything up. That is along with what the wicked squirrel deposits like his chewed up nuts and stripped down pine cones so it is just a mess out there.

Susan: My body doesn't seem to discriminate between carbs, proteins or anything else. I am just gassy every afternoon around 2 pm. It is weird. I do take gas X which helps a great deal when it is really uncomfortable. Every once in awhile I have it in my midsection and that is just plain painful. Almost like having a stitch in your side. I take a couple Ibuprophen and the gas x and it does the trick in a couple hours.

Maggie: We didn't get out last night so we are going this afternoon and pick out a microwave and get a bite of supper than come back. Tomorrow is commissary day so I have to get back home and work on a grocery list and menu for the next two weeks. I noticed I am out of a lot of stuff again.

You gals have yourselves a nice weekend. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 09-18-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #14  

I'm just checking to see if anyone came to visit while I was gone.

Susan -- I think the blahs are catching! I still have them today. A quilt show tomorrow sounds like fun. Enjoy!

"Gma" -- One of the techniques we used at school, to help students remember, was to use the first letter of a word association or make a word or phrase from the first letter of each word in a list. Most of the kids caught on quickly. It is hard to memorize stuff that one doesn't have any interest in or personal experience with. I hope you find a microwave and enjoy your supper out tonight!

Off to attack and eliminate a pile of old clothes for the Good Will.

Last edited by Jean; 09-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIS

Another humid day in the Heartlands. We went out to eat for lunch and ate at the Professors. They serve great soup and sand combos along with other great stuff on the menu. Is the blah's catchey through the wires? I think I am coming down with them. Not much news from the Heartland this day.

DONNA FAYE Hope you get the microwave of your choice. Enjoy your day out shopping.

SUSAN It is good that you have a variety of sewing machines with all that sewing you do.

JEAN To color popcorn balls I add the coloring to the marshmallow creme before mixing it in. My recipe has popped corn, light-colored corn syrup, Splenda, marshmallow creme, butter, & vanilla. If you want the full recipe I can post it.

To hip gotta go... Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-18-2009 at 03:55 PM.