Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #1  

Default Firbromyalgia #188

Hey, nice to have a minute to post. Been so busy working and when I'm not I am trying to recuperiate so I can keep up Next month it will all slow down.

Kate - glad that the surgery is finished and that you are back home. It will take time, like all surgery does. Try sleeping with a little pillow to cushion your arm. I can only sleep on my left side, as my hip gives me grief on the right side and I am NOT a back or stomach sleeper at all.

Canadice - sorry your hurt yourself, yet again. I never cried when my son left home, as I saw more of him AFTER he left because he wasn't always going out. Now, he came home to eat and actually visit My daughter was a little different story. I missed her terribly as she moved to Edmonton to go to school, so I only had weekends. She did come home then, but it didn't seem long enough.

Tammy - you will see lots of Tim too. They don't totally LEAVE!! My goal was to raise my kids so they could actually survive in the outside world, and I did achieve that. They are both doing so well and I am very proud of them. They are stable and are good, caring parents. What more could I ask for??? We are a pretty close family and see each other lots.

Meme - STOP all this stuff you are doing. You are only doing yourself HARM. You need to have less stress and more rest. They WILL survive without you doing everything, and if they don't then I guess they don't care too. One person can't do it all without repercussions.

Mima - Lucky you going to PEI. I think we will make an Eastern trip next summer if all goes well. If not, it will be the year after. We are expecting company this summer so not sure how that will work into our plans. I read a little blurp in the paper that the total bills for gas and electric should go any higher than $2000.00 a month this winter!!!! I have NEVER heard of this kind of bill. I pay about $60.00 a month for electric and the gas is covered in the rent or in the condo fee. It isn't that high at all. I don't know what people will do if they have to start paying HUGE billsfor these things.

Joanne - gosh, I hope you are feeling better after that darn fall. I see it didn't slow you down any. I am not as surefooted as I used to be either and have the occassional tumble. Hate it, because it jars the whole body.

I am stiff and sore. Muscles feel tight and brittle, like they want to break. Haven't had the bottom of the foot pain for a long time, but this morning when I got up, it was like I was walking on chards of glass. Just change of the season stuff going on. Have to phone the Orthopedic Dr. and see about getting an appointment for my toe. Hopefully they can do surgery and not in years from now. Also, my finger on my right hand is giving me real trouble with OA going on there. It's always some darn thing. PAIN seems to want to be my nearest and dearest friend

Have a good afternoon or evening.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Happy -We can always count on you to start a new thread.. I tried once and messed it up..
My l/leg is black and blue.. I am on coumadin and that just makes the bruising worse.. Just the smallest nick and I bleed like the dickens.
Mima- You have had a busy summer.. Have a good trip.
Tammy- I cried when both of my kids left home. my son kept coming back for a long time. Now that he has remarried he seems more stable..he is very involved with the church and does not drink anymore. Thank You God..
Meme- You are doing too much.. I tell my son he needs to let some of the other church members do something. He feels they won't. Ofcourse not as long as he is willing to do it all.
Candice- I hate falling.. I hurt for days after.. One of these days I am afraid I am going to do a good job of it. When I start to go down it is like a tree falling. No control.
Well ,my day is almost over. I have been having problems with IBS and I can't wait to lay down. Have to take Christie out one more time today..It will be a short trip..
Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #3  

Brad says that 10% of the people do 90% of the work.
I have one suitcase packed. Planning on 7 days of clothes.
I have an appt on the 21st to get the shingles shot. My ins is supposed to pay for it. I am glad I waited because they didn't do that before. Don't mess with my health insurance-I love it.
Going to lunch with the campground ladies. That should be fun.
I can tell the seasons are changing. Things are acting up.I hurt my shoulder walking the dog -will get a shot if it doesn't go away.
Stay upright, ladies. mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning everyone. Feeling much better these past couple of days. Started out-patient PT and I am doing the exercises at home but going in to get "measured" once a week. They measure the shoulder's flexibility in degrees....very interesting. I have been able to sleep a bit on my back lately using my "hugging" pillow as support for my left arm. Other than that, I still sleep on my right side with the pillow under my arm. At least I am getting some sleep now!
I've been experimenting with Queenie's food and have recently switched her to a raw diet. She seems to be liking it very much.....but she is not pooping on her regular schedule now. My understanding is there is less waste product with raw diets and that dogs poop less. I'm still a bit concerned whether she is getting enough nutrients on the raw though. It doesn't appear to be fortified with anything. There is a different formula that has added vitamins that I might decide to give her....it would make me feel better knowing it would be "complete" nutrition. I also need to talk to the vet and see what his opinions are regarding the raw diets before I go too far with it.
Thanks for starting the new thread Anne. I just seem to be so preoccupied with so many big things lately that I am forgetting to take care of the regular little things. I did remember to get my hubby an anniversary card though! We haven't celebrated our anniversary since the 9/11 disaster but we have been married 28 years today. We lived together for 6 years before that so I guess the total should be 34 years, right? As long as we acknowledge that we remember each other on this date we're happy....don't need any fancy presents or dinners out. I like my cooking best anyhow!
Mima, hope you enjoy your PEI trip! The weather should be gorgeous there this time of year! I have to admit I do miss the seasons changing...especially going into fall. I always loved the fall on Cape Cod. I'll just be so happy to get cool enough here in Florida so I can open up the house for a bit....so tired of being closed up with the A/C running all the time. I like fresh air and sunshine at about 65-68 degrees...with a good strong breeze. That is my idea of perfect weather! That final note about "staying upright" had me laughing....we definitely have to watch our steps lately, huh? We're like the "walking wounded" club here!
Off to do some more research on this darn dog diet....she's so spoiled and I am getting fed up with her fussiness about food. She just may end up with a bowl-of-kibble-everyday-eat-it-or-not attitude from me in the near future! Hope everyone enjoys their day....rain due here all day from tropical storm "Erica" (or whoever we're up to now.)
Kate53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #5  

Hello gals....

Just peeking in...what a day..the boy came to fix the scratches on the leather chairs, did not show up on time and it took him forever and he had to run back to the store to get tools since the man that was supposed to show up couldn't and didn't tell him what he needed. When he left he said call the other guy or the store to come look at it since niether of us was satisfied. (you can see where he tired to fix the leather) Dh is tired of dealing with all this and said just let it go...I am tired of loosing sleep, getting up for no shows also but would like my new furniture to look like new for awhile anyway. They said we will make it like new or replace it...now we have to decide if we want to call in and complain again. (dh says no and I say yes...at least have them come look at it)

Tomorow we go to DS's for DH's bd meal...both boys and fiance will be there....but I am so tired and sore hope I can enjoy...plugged the camera in and made a 3 bean salad to take. They will grill since we do not have one yet..still deciding on the deck renewal. This is the first year I did not make DH a cake, I told him I could make it later if he really wanted it...we don't need it hear. The boys will pick one up from the store.

Oh and I ordered meat online from Kansa City streak house...steak burgers..and they look brown...they are thawing in the fridge so hope they are ok and we do not get sick. I do not eat much red meat but DH likes it everynow and then.

Well I'm off to rest now..no replies..sorry just too tired.

Last edited by Candicej; 09-12-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #6  

Anne, thanks for starting us off again! What you said about your kids is something that Bob and I always talked about. We knew that Tim would be ok once he is out on his own, unlike so many others his age. LOL to pain being your nearest and dearest friend! Hope you are feeling better.

Joanne, in the other thread we were talking about our dogs and their gland problem. What does the pumpkin do for them? Tim told me that I need to quit doing so much. I didn't even go to the county retired teacher meeting/meal on Thursday because I knew they were going to push for me to be vice president again. After being VP for 2 years, you end up being president. I don't want to do that.

Mima, I'm sure you are looking forward to the trip to PEI! Hope you have a great time.

Kate, glad to hear you are feeling better especially after reading from the other thread. Happy Anniversary to you and hubby! I'm glad Maurice isn't picky about his food. I think he'd eat anything.

Candice, I agree with you. Call them and have them come and look at it. 3 bean salad sounds pretty good! Happy birthday to hubby!

Off to an Emmaus meeting this morning. I'm on the next team in November, so we are starting our team meetings this morning.

Tim just left for his EMT class. Next week is his last week, and then at least part of his Saturdays will be free. After the class today he is riding with the rescue squad in the town where the classes are held. He has to get in 4 "ride-alongs" for a different place than where he is a member. He rode last night, and they had 2 runs. 2 more to go! He also has to "shadow" a nurse in an ER, and he'll be doing that on Wednesday. He's a busy kid.

Started back to the classes at the Y this week. Aerobics and zumba.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #7  

From everything you posted, I can tell Tim is a great kid. You done good.The lunch was good yesterday but the apple crisp I had was not as good as I have had at the campground.We have to go there to finish up a couple of things.Then we are going to a country gospel concert at church-Ernie Couch and the Revival. Got 2 suitcases packed and pills done. I am really looking forward to this trip. Fall is my favorite time of the year but I am really liking having a second summer in FL. Hey tammy-be careful we don't have to get after you like we do with Meme.I talked to my neighbor yesterday-the lady I went to college with and has ms and just lost her husband. She didn't want company because she was in too much pain but we had a nice conversation and I will call her when I get back to go to lunch. Now there's a situation I wouldn't want -she has a walker but she drives a bit so that is good.
Bye for now-Mima
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #8  

Default Hey There

Wrote a post yesterday. Got lost in space!!
I give Christie pumpkin,apple carrots and cheerios for the fiber in them. She has anal problems. I hope it clears up soon. This problem has cost me more than was paid for her.
All you girls seem really busy.. I guess we all are.. I wonder sometimes what retirement means. There is always something I have to do.. The hubby sleeps more than he is awake so no help there..
We need a new car. I am praying this one will just refuse to run. That may be the only way he will agree. The air condition has quit now.. He took it in for repair and it ran cool for only one day. In florida you need that..
Have a Good weekend Everybody.
Joanne
Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #9  

You bet you need air. Hope you get one soon.
We are leaving at 9 and I am taking my computer. I have a wireless card.Went to visit our tenant in rehab-he is still flat on his back.
Well-packing up-bye for now. Mima
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Where to start?? Good morning all! Had a very eventful weekend. Got lots done and hubby built me a pulley system for my shoulder exercises. I do those in the gargage now. I only go to PT once a week right now to save on the co-pay expenses and they measure my progress. I'll do more PT after Oct. 20th when my orthopedic clears me for weight bearing exercises. So far so good....sleeping much better but still having problems in the "bra" department. I can get one on but have a hard time getting it off!
Queenie is not going to get the raw diet after all. I talked with her vet and he is not a fan of that type of diet. He pointed out that dogs are "omnivorous" which was new knowledge for me! I always thought dogs were carnivores....nope...they are omnivores. So, she gets the kibble and a bit of moist food...take it or leave it my spoiled little thing!
Hubby and I had our tap water tested because of the smell and hardness we were experiencing. What a shocker that was! I can't believe the contaminants in our water here! This is water that the city pumps out to all it's county customers too! We decided on a whole house purification system....with the reverse osmosis under the kitchen sink. I can't believe the difference we have found in the short period of time we have had it....almost too good to be true. I love having fresh clean water to bath, cook, wash clothes etc. I am using way less cleaning products now too. I never realized how important good water is in our everyday lives.
Need to get to the store and pick up a few things. Trying to be conservative with finances now as we have car insurance and our 1st quarter property taxes due next month. It's a never ending battle trying to keep up with these bills. The cost of living is definitely not matching up with wages lately! I don't know how these larger families here manage it.....
Hope you enjoy your trip, Mima and everyone is feeling healthy out there. The weather is going to be changing soon and I can't wait to get this A/C off and get some fresh air through the house!!

Last edited by Kate53; 09-14-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Kate53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #11  

Default Hey There

Well the hubby took the car back to the garage and guess what . They fixed the air again!! I keep hoping for a new car.. The son says it won't rumn forever. I bet it will as long as the hubby keeps shelling out the money on it..
Hope Mima has a good trip..
Kate get some front closers bras.. I need to do that. my shoulder are full of arthritis. Although I can still reach to hook them it hurts.
Hello Tammy ,Meme- I need to go to facebook and see what is there. I haven't been there in awhile. I get on Sparkpeople and the time gets away from me and then I have to get busy here at home..
Hello Happy,Candice..Joanne
Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #12  

Mima, you mentioned apple crisp, so now I want some! I am going to quit saying yes to things. When I retired I planned to do what I wanted to do, not to get all involved in committees and stuff. I need to remember that, or if not, you guys can get on me.

Joanne, Maurice loves carrots, apples, and bananas. I don't think he has as big of a problem as what Kramer (our other dog) did. We had to take Kramer to the vet to help him. Haven't had to do that with Maurice yet. Do you want me to come down and pull some wires and stuff in your car's engine so you'll have to get a new one?

Kate, keep it up with the exercises. I know that helped my husband after his surgery. We had our water tested when we moved in here, and it is amazingly clean. The town had just put in new water stuff, and they've updated it even since then. We've had so many cool days, and I've had the windows open. Today is a different story. AC is on!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #13  

Anyone know how to Sticky this thread, and get rid of 186 and 187?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #14  

Hi Tammy. I did send a message to Meow the moderator. Either she is away, or she is no longer the moderator. I guess we will just have to put up with it until somebody cleans it up. A moderator has to do it.

Kate - glad to hear that you are doing awesome. Keep up the good work. Soon you will be as good as new.

Hi to everybody. Nice day here again - up into the 80's. Beautiful, spectacular weather for this time of year. It's like summer. Next week, all that will change, but sure am enjoying it while it's here. I feel so lucky, as I have my windows open all year. Can't stand the closed in smell of stale air. Even though we have air, I still prefer it from OUTSIDE.

Off for the rest of the week. Have one day next week, then my gf is coming to visit for the week and the week after that, we are heading out to the West Coast for a week or so.

Have a good day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #15  

Thanks for trying Anne!

I have our windows open today, and I'm almost cold! It's in the low 70's, and the sun is shining.

You and your friend will have so much fun! Enjoy your time together!

I have an Emmaus Team meeting tonight for the November Emmaus Walk. I'm in the group in charge of food tonight. I have a huge bowl of fresh fruit fixed, and I'm also taking a loaf of bread. I'm also taking all the paper products that we'll need for all of the meetings. Others are bringing salad, a casserole of some kind, and drinks.