Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Have you had to cut your carbs way down to lose?

I know that most people here count calories to lose (or at least it seems that way). But how about those of us who CAN'T lose by simply counting our calories?

How many here have had to cut way back on their carbs before they could lose much of anything?

I'm thinking this is what I'm going to have to do in order to budge any of my weight.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/See Ticker/124

Height: 5'6''

if you love carbs there is no need to exclude them completely cos eventually u will want to eat them again and may gain
id say go with wholemeal instead but still cut back a small bit xx
ja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Good question. I was actually thinking about alternating Counting calories one day and carbs the next. It's hard to try and do both at the same time. Well, for me it is...My carbs have been horrible lately as has my blood sugar, so today I am determined to keep the carbs low.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I sure do have to cut carbs. Just in the form of grains, though. I have to consume bread and pasta very sparingly. I have to be more diligent with them more than my overall calories (although for me, cutting these carbs=overall calories defecit...usually).

I don't consider carbs in vegetables and fruit. I consume lots of those

It is what it is. I've noticed that I don't miss them if I stay away from them. Out of sight out of mind, I guess.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Nope - I love carbs and they are an important part of so many of the meals I enjoy eating (stir fry over rice, pasta sauce over pasta, toast, sandwiches, quesadillas, curries).

What worked for me:

1. Picking healthy carb choices when I can - brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, corn, polenta, quinoa, sweet potatoes, beans

2. Measuring faithfully - carbs are yummy but they have a significant calorie impact. After all these years, I don't trust myself to eyeball rice, pasta or granola. I use my food scale - always. I budget 200 calories of every dinner for my healthy carb.

I have had to significantly reduce empty, sugary carbs (chips, pretzels, cold cereal, baked goods, cookies) - they trigger me to eat more and more and sometimes give me an achey, hollow, hungry feeling that no amount of eating can seem to fill. I hate that feeling, so it isn't much hardship to avoid these foods.

Last edited by Glory87; 09-16-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

For me, I don't eat pasta or white flour foods. I do eat veggies and fruits and wheat bread though, every day. (Umm I think fruits and veggies are carbs or some are...yes? Heck I have no idea )
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I keep trying to convince myself that I can eat a reasonable number of carbs as long as I count the calories/exchanges, but what works in theory, doesn't work in practice. When I eat high carb foods, especially sugar or grain foods (even good, whole food, high fiber fruits and grains), I find it so much harder to fight my appetite/hunger.

I use an exchange plan, and have 3 fruits and 1 starch exchanges built into my plan, and an additional 600 calories I can spend on 8 optional exchanges.
I've finally decided to eliminate fruits and grains from my optional exchanges. We'll see how that goes.

I just find it so difficult to stay on plan when my diet is too high in carbs, especially grains and sugars. I don't plan on eliminating natural carbohydrates and sugars, but I do have to be very careful with those foods.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Not all carbs are created equal! You want carbs that take a while to digest (so oatmeal instead of cheerios, brown rice instead of white, etc.) It could be the kind of carbs which may be causing difficulty.

And when you say "cut back" what do you mean? I have had to cut back significantly--but that's just because that's where I ate nearly ALL my calories. (I barely ate veggies, never fruit, nor milk and minimal protein. In fact, I now eat 5oz a day which seems outrageous.) Carbs were probably 90% of my morbidly obese diet.

I portion control the carbs. When I'm not watching what I eat they're the first thing to balloon out of control--I've just gotten into a bad habit of "going to" something starchy when I want something to eat.

So, my plan allows five portions of starch (or "Bread) a day. One portion is 1/2 cup of rice, 3/4's of a medium potato, 1/2 cup of pasta, etc., --essentially any amount which is around 80 calories. (A slice of "regular" bread is 2, so is the whole grain wrap I have for lunch). So, in total, I now have 400 calories/day.

I distribute them through out the day--I even like to save one for an evening snack.

Right now, I'm actually tring to "expand" my options from potatoes, (whole wheat) pasta and brown rice to include quinoa, bulgar wheat, barley, millet and others as I become aware of them. There's a TON of wonderful healthy unprocessed food out there--it's an adventure to find it and eat it!

As far as the "other" carbohydrates go (the non-starchy carbs) I have 2 servings of fruit a day ( about 120 calories) and I aim for 4 servings of veggies. (100 total calories).

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-16-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added friut and veggie information
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My diet is about 70% carbs and I can lose very easily, if I count calories. I have PCOS as well and my diet is actually very complementary to that.

Anyway, what I have found is I have to eat certain carby foods very sparingly because they have a lot of calories and I can overdo them easily. I don't eat a lot of bread, pasta (really don't care for pasta anyway) or other processed carbs. I eat whole grains but very portion controlled. I eat a couple pieces of fruit per day but I could easily overdo it if I let myself. Otherwise, I indulge in lots of beans and veggies which are considered carby.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Nope. But as my calorie intake was already pretty decent, the only way I was going to be able to get enough of a deficit going for noticeable weight loss was to dramatically increase my exercise. I know there are many people who lose without a huge exercise committment, but I think that only happens if your "norma" calorie intake was way too high to start. Just one woman's opinion of course.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #11  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
(Umm I think fruits and veggies are carbs or some are...yes? Heck I have no idea )
The macronutients in food have been determined as follows:

Protein: usually dairy, cheese, eggs, meat, tofu, tempeh (and possibly other vegetarian sources I'm not aware of.)

Fat: monunsaturated, ployunsaturated, saturated, trans. so, all vegetable oils, nut oils, and animal fat and foods containing them.

Carbohydates: Everything else. Fruit, vegetables, grains, etc....
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Alana
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Excellent replies!

Yup, I'm another one that would have a mostly flour and sugar-based diet if left to my own devices. It's HARD for me to eat enough protein, veggies, and fruits. It's EASY to grab bread, baked goods, etc.

I also find that once I start on flour/sugar items, that's all I want for the rest of the day, and it never satisfies me. I could eat tons of them in a day and still never feel full.

Even though I'm 53, I'd say I still have a "kid palate"--preferring Cheetos, cereals, Reese's Cups, etc. to anything else.

Very, very bad, I know.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I am careful with carbs. I make sure they are whole grain and I portion control them or I could easily over eat. I count calories and work them in. I have PCOS like many of the other ladies here, and it seems to work well for me to limit the carbs. I don't limit my veggies. I think you have to find what works for you by trial and error. I can totally relate to your comment about having a kids palate, I love all that bad stuff too. Although, after a year and a half of eating like an adult I don't mind my grown up food. I actually like it and it makes me feel great. It just takes one bite of the bad stuff to bring out the two year old, though
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I tried Atkins years ago... wow what a nightmare. That whole "you will feel great after 2 weeks" thing was a load of crap. I was more and more drained by the day! At the end of 2 weeks I was going friggen nuts.. my brain wasn't functioning right, I had very little energy to even move, it was truely horrible.

I'm a calorie counter now, and will stick with this because it works for me. I don't restrict anything as long as it fits in my calories.. if I want cake I eat cake, if I want bread I eat bread. I do try to eat smart.. no whites (potatoes, flour, rice), limit junkfood, but I have to be able to live with my plan forever so I have to do what works for me.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote