Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Exchange plans - support thread

Introduction

I know several of us have talked about starting a thread for those of us who follow exchange plans, and so I thought I would get the ball rolling.

I debated whether to place the thread here or in the Calorie Counting forum, as exchange plans are calorie-controlled, and so I consider them a form of calorie counting, but some people do not, so I opted for this forum.

For anyone unfamiliar with exchange plans, there's a very good explanation of the basics on the hillbilly housewife website (here's the link):

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.co...tiontoexpd.htm

One of the strongest advantages of exchange based plans, is that they tend to be quite similar (at least in terms of the exchanges). The American Diabetes Association and The American Dietetic Association first developed the exchange plan in the 1950's to make meal planning more convenient for diabetics. The exchanges have not changed much over the years (although various plans vary in terms of the distribution of exchanges, the exchanges themselves are quite consistent). This means that cookbooks written for one exchange plan is probably interchangeable with other exchange program cookbooks).

Some plans that are exchange-based
Many diabetic food plans (check cookbooks - some count only carbohydrates instead)
Weight Watchers (until 1997)
Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal and Food Mover plans
Joanna Lund's Healthy Exchanges
(her cookbook recipes do rely heavily on name brand and processed foods)
First Place (a Christian program)
TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly)
The Duke Diet: The World-Renowned Program for Healthy and Lasting Weight Loss (the book lists two different carbohydrate levels)
Hillbilly housewife website, diating on a budget
(lists three carbohydrate levels at four calorie levels (12 plans)
http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm
__________________________________________________ ______

Last edited by kaplods; 05-31-2009 at 01:53 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #2  

I didn't want to muddy the introduction post, so I'll put my personal post here.

I LOVE my exchange plan, but I've been very lax in following it, especially recently. I started getting out of the habit when I was diagnosed with the pneumonia. At the time, I was too sick to care much about documenting, and not really eating much, so it seemed rather pointless (and yet, I didn't lost a lot of weight, as I wasn't moving much - or often even awake, for that matter. It seems like I was hibernating, not sleeping).

But, hibernation is over, and Spring is here, so it's really time to begin rebuilding the good habits I let slide a bit during the winter.

My personal plan is loosely based on my experience in pre-1997 Weight Watcher's, and the information I found on the Hillbilly Housewife site and in the Duke Diet book I referenced in the introduction post. Through the years, I've heard a lot of people criticize exchange plans for being outdated and carb-heavy and at the time I thought and sometimes said, "why not trade some of the carb exchanges (bread and fruit) for protein exchanges, then," but before reading the Duke book, and finding the Hillbillyhousewife website, I hadn't known anyone else to make that suggestion.

Exchange plans are also sometimes being criticised for being less flexible than calorie counting, and, for the most part, I disagree (particularly if you add a flexible exchange component as I have). For my plan, I took the 1200 high protein plan I found on the Hillbilly Housewife website and added about 700 - 800 calories of flexible exchanges (up to 80 calories of starch, fruit, dairy or protein), because I had loved that when I was a member of Weight Watcher's when it was an exchange plan.

It's true that I can't (if I'm following my own rules), eat 1800 calories of chocolate, but I find that the forced balance of minimum (and maximum) servings of vegetables, fruit, dairy, protein, grains/starch, and fat are ways to make healthy eating a habit. There are, within the exchanges, healthier and less healthy choices (e.g. 80 calories of sweet potato being generally a healthy choice than a slice of white bread), but overall I find the flexibility and structure of my plan to be perfectly balanced. So, now all I need to do is USE IT.

My goal this week is to use my food journal/exchange checklist every day.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-31-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214.6/206.6/150

Great minds think alike! Yesterday I dug out all my information I had from WW when it was the exchanges. I had much better results from the exchanges than I have had with points. Figured I would have to go it alone as I never heard anyone wanting to do the exchanges anymore.

Congratulations on your weightloss!
caroldakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

I had seen Ms Kaplods success so far and will start Richard Simmons Foodmover plan on June 1st. I am debating which calorie card to use 1600 or 1800..I want to learn to eat in moderation. I will bring my foodmover to the nutritionst tomorrow for face to face support.

I will be posting on a weekly basis, since I don't have acess to the net at the boarding home..I do come see my family during the weekends.

Thank you Ms Kaplods for starting this thread up. You are doing awesome and I know the exchange plans works.

Have a great day and week!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

This is timely!

I followed the WW plan pre-1977 and had great success, too. This time, I'm opting to use Bob Green's Best Life Plan which is potrion based--and from what I can tell, fairly compatible with the Exchange plan. I like the versatility too without all the number crunching of counting calories.

Lilianne--try 1800 first. You can always come down to 1600 if it doesn't work!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
I had seen Ms Kaplods success so far and will start Richard Simmons Foodmover plan on June 1st. I am debating which calorie card to use 1600 or 1800..I want to learn to eat in moderation. I will bring my foodmover to the nutritionst tomorrow for face to face support.

I will be posting on a weekly basis, since I don't have acess to the net at the boarding home..I do come see my family during the weekends.

Thank you Ms Kaplods for starting this thread up. You are doing awesome and I know the exchange plans works.

Have a great day and week!
Hi Lilliann (such a pretty name)

I weigh more then you do......over 400 pounds and I am eating 1800 calories a day. I just upped my calories yesterday from 1600 as I was feeling too hungry....probably from my increase in activity.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Through the years, I've heard a lot of people criticize exchange plans for being outdated and carb-heavy and at the time I thought and sometimes said, "why not trade some of the carb exchanges (bread and fruit) for protein exchanges
When I first went on Deal-A-Meal back in 1996, I found it to be a carb heavy plan as well so I exchanged some of the carb options for protein ones. It must have worked as I lost 27 pounds the first month.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #8  
M2B

S/C/G: 160/156/130

Height: 5 ft. 1"

I'm using TOPS. Once I had it figured out, it's easy to follow. One thing I find though is that "one carb" does not necessarily equal one carb in the exchange system. I really have to watch the calorie count on bread, for example.

I'm trying to be more dilligent in journalling because I KNOW it helps.. but it's something I'm terrible at doing.
M2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #9  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

M2B--Howdy neighbour!

I'm having a great time on my second day of being on plan! But I am starting to run into a bit of difficulty with how to count certain things. For example, my homemade Lentil soup is packed with carrots and tomatoes--but daily plate says lentil soup is 150 calories for one cup. So, on my plan I counted it as two "grain" and one veggie. This is the "inexact" bit that I have to consciously decide it's not going to drive me nuts.

How is everyone doing?
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #10  

I agree that bread and combination foods can be tricky - unless you have the nutrition label or you weigh it, but not really trickier than other exchanges if you remember not to confuse exchange with serving. Half a banana, 3/4 cup of raspberries, 17 grapes, or 1 1/4 cups of strawberries all are one fruit. You've got to know what a small apple looks like, or you have to weigh it.

Below is a helpful chart in determining how much of a food is equivalent to an exchange. In the book Exchanges for All Occasions (at least the 3rd edition, which is the one I have), there's a section on how to calculate the exchanges from a nutrition label by using the ingredient list and a little fairly basic math.

Bread Group: 80 calories, 15g carbohydrate and 3g protein
Vegetable Group: 25 calories, 5g carbohydrate and 2g protein
Fruit Group: 60 calories and 15g carbohydrate.
Protein: 55 calories, 7g protein and 3g fat.
Milk: 90 calories, 12g carbohydrate, 8g protein and less than 3g fat.
Fat: 45 calories and 5g fat
Other Carbohydrate: 80 calories, 15g carbohydrate and 3g protein. This category is used to replace a bread exchange.

I believe I've seen an exchange calculator online, in which you can plug in recipe ingredients/amounts, and the number of servings and it will kick out the exchanges. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

I did lousy yesterday. Didn't eat crazy, but didn't journal. Today, I've done much better. I did have to do a little math to figure out the exchanges for my share of a frozen pizza. We buy the Adi's frozen pizzas fairly often, at least once amonth, but I keep forgetting to write down the exchanges, so I end up re-calculating them every time. They're really a fairly good bargain, both $ and diet-wise, because they're $2.50 for standard-size frozen pizza, and around 1500 calories for the entire pizza, so if I cut it in 8 pieces, that's only about 200 calories a slice. Hubby and I can each get a couple meals out of each pizza (if we're eating the pizza for breakfast or lunch, it's a little skimpy for dinner for hubby. I don't mind as long as I have a nice salad to go with).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #11  

Thank you for sharing the exchange equivalents that will come in handy. I am doing wonderful with the exchanges so far. One thing I have noticed is that my cravings have been virtually nonexistent and it also seems that I'm not hungry between meals. I know I'm eating much better and foods that are more sustaining. I hope this feeling lasts!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #12  

Smile weigh in day

My weight is down 8 pounds this first week, I haven't had success like that with the points. I am following the personal choice program from 1990 and incorporating the diabetic exchange information. My older sister was diagnosed with diabetes and guess it kind of scared me into thinking I better do something now.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #13  
M2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroldakota View Post
Thank you for sharing the exchange equivalents that will come in handy. I am doing wonderful with the exchanges so far. One thing I have noticed is that my cravings have been virtually nonexistent and it also seems that I'm not hungry between meals. I know I'm eating much better and foods that are more sustaining. I hope this feeling lasts!
That's great!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I became a lifetime member of WW back in 1995 and thought the exchange programs were great. I was very disappointed when WW thought they had to change things up with "Points." One thing I liked about exchanges is that it forces you to eat from all food groups in appropriate amounts. It's too easy to eat your Points with Snickers bars and such.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #15  
M2B

Well crud. Up 1/2 because no matter what I did.. I was bloated. But, I got through 20 mins of Kathy Sansone today, and am keeping track of exchanges. I've saved myself a couple of carbs so I can have a full burger ( complete with bun) for supper. They'll be BBQ'd and don't shrink much.. fat content is "OK" as far as burgers go.

I'm finding lately that carbs are the tough ones to stay within exchanges. Fruits/veg are easy to get in.. so are the meats. Carbs are tough to keep in line!

eta: Howdy back Alana! Looks like we're finally getting summer like weather.. walks may be possible again.

Last edited by M2B; 06-11-2009 at 03:06 PM.