Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Do you ever not go to a function because it's hard to deal with the food?

Last night we were invited to my cousin's to watch the USC/OSU football game. I didn't want to go at first because I wasn't feeling like I could deal with all the foods that go with a football party. But, then I said to myself that I shouldn't stop doing things because of food. I took healthy snacks for everyone to share. I did end up eating a little bit of this and that. However, I hopped right back on my plan today.

My original question - do you avoid social situations where you will be tempted with food - especially when you are not feeling 'strong'. What do you do?

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-13-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I used to at the beginning but it wasn't very fun! Now I will bring my own food....bbqs I bring my own turkey burgers with a few to share etc. I don't make my host go out of their way though.

I think you bringing healthy stuff to share is a great idea
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #3  

Great job on bringing healthy snacks! I did decline going to two buffet dinner parties because I was sure I'd stuff myself and regret it. I have that mentality to eat as much as I paid for, just to make the money's worth it, and even though I didn't pay for the dinner, I'd feel the need to eat so the money won't be wasted. :x But other times I do try to watch what I eat when I go to gatherings at friends' houses, like no getting seconds, no fried foods, etc.
Procrastinating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

No. When I'm on plan, I don't have a problem in saying no to all of it. In fact, it's sometimes easier to say no to what's already there than to something I make for myself.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

YES. Yes...a lot of them. Things at work, things at inlaws. I just avoid it because its just too much for me at this point. Maybe some day I will have more control. I guess you gotta do what is best for you at the time, whether to go or not to go.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

no, I go!!! I bring my own food or snacks and don't feel guilty about it. I bring stuff that the host doesn't have to cook though. No one's ever asked about it--I just say I'm on WW. Some people actually ask to try my food, lol!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

There was a close friend I had. She and I also always ate together--and plenty of the bad stuff at that. She was morbidly obese. When I began my new lifestyle I never shared it with her. Previous experience told me NOT to talk weight, nutrition or exercise with her.

I remember the first time we went to lunch. I ordered a dry salad grilled chicken salad without dressing. I took a salad spritzer out of my purse and used it instead. For some weird reason, you could have stirred the tension with a stick.

Well, I guess you could say she dumped me. I stopped eating with her and she suddenly found no use for me. She phoned for a while and emailed but eventually she stopped even that.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I used to avoid things ESPECIALLY the first two or three months. Now I just take healthy alternatives or make room for the food in my eating plan. It works for me.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I don't avoid social stuff, but I do often avoid booze at the social stuff. Not only do I get too many calories from the booze, but I find my judgement isn't so great after a couplethreebeers, so then I eat the wrong stuff, too. I do have a glass of wine when we go out for Italian, though, because I'm too cheap to buy more than one glass and I generally eat nothing but air before we go so I can enjoy the pasta and sauces guilt free.

When we go somewhere I take something that's good for me to munch on - like a lowfat version of veggie pizza. Of course, everyone else eats it, too.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote