Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Anxious, anxious: what can I do?

Other than exercise: I can't do that every moment!

The situation is this: hubby is on strike. I am a sahm and homeschool.

We're hoping things aren't going to go longer than a couple of weeks. (They walked out--and were locked out Monday.) If they do, then we'll discuss other options, like sending me out to find work, but for now, things are status quo.

I find that while hubby has calmed down and is in the rhythm of "being on strike" though he's tired and worn out (he didn't want to go on strike and it was against the Union's recommendation, actually, so it threw everyone for a loop)--it is now my turn, it seems, to be a bit freaked out.

I'm having trouble concentrating, I'm staying up late when things are quiet to read and regroup (I'm a big time introvert) and I'm eating! For the last two night's I've had a sleeve of soda crackers each night--and tonight I actually invented an errand so I could go out and get a BIG chocolate bar. Well, the chocolate bar was just sugar--it was awful--and I decided this is NOT how I want to handle my anxiety.

But I've no clue.

So, I'm asking, chickies, what do I do in my down time? Eating has always been a "part" of my relaxation routine: obviously that's really not a good life long strategy. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-11-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Do you have any hobbies? I knit. I bead. I can preserves. Anything to keep those hands busy!

Lots of time, cleaning helps me too. My house is never cleaner than when I'm stressed.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #3  
Starting over

Quote:
My house is never cleaner than when I'm stressed.
I wish!

No, unfortunately, my house is falling apart, too. In fact my 11 year old son did a sink load of dishes today just so he could have lunch. I felt really guilty but didn't get off the computer!

Thanks Amanda. What do you do when it's time to relax, though? (Don't answer if that's too personal.)
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #4  

I agree, find something to keep those hands busy! Try to limit your computer time, otherwise, you'll just feel guilty for wasting time. If you home school, then plan field trips with your kids to get out of the house.

If you have free time, maybe try planning out your meals for the week and making a grocery list. I know that sounds silly, but it always takes up at least an hour of my time.

Best of Luck to you.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Usually, tea, bath, repeat. But I get very soothed by repetitive motions (knitting, polishing, beading...all repetitive).

Sometimes, if I'm really having trouble getting out of my head, I escape into a good fiction book (or even a non-fiction book - I can get very involved in books about food politics and other strange topics). Books can be very helpful with escapism.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Bath, GOOD book (I'm into this awesome adult vampire type book now...) and tea. In that order. Often the tea while I'm in the bath with some yummy bubbles too!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Try some emotional journaling or creative writing. Not only can it provide an emotional outlet but you'll feel better for it.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Bath.
Computer game.
Early bed.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

--spider solitaire, mahjong (computer games), they relax me
--knitting
--crossword puzzles
--reading, I found this book on a park bench called Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, fun, sexy, historical, loooonnnggg ha! It's like a soap opera set in the middle ages
--movies (our library lets you check out DVDs, so if you don't want to spend the extra cash, get them there for FREE, my favorite price). Nothing like a light hearted or silly movie to relax me. Even a spy flick.
--walking in the park relaxes me too
--one last thing, when I have trouble falling asleep, I count backwards from 100, just keep repeating it, works well for me
--ok, one more thing after I said I'd reached the last thing, connect with family and friends, send a letter to a cousin you haven't touched base with in a while, call or email a sibling, chat with a neighbor, all stuff that focuses your mind in better places and helps you realize your part of the web
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

To totally relax usually a hot bath will do it for me...other than that reading a really juicy romance novel, meditating, sitting outside on the back porch & listening to my surroundings.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

First of all I too am a SAHM homeschooling mom. One income sucks to begin with, but then when that income is cut it really really sucks. Thanks to this wonderful economy here in the US, hubby has only worked about 5 full weeks this year. We are constantly thankful that he is still working, but we are struggling right now to keep our heads above the water and are trying hard not to ask for help from the public assistance office.

I constantly feel that anxiety these days! I feel guilty for not helping the family financially.. and then that leads to a spiral of horrible habits. My house is a nightmare, we are behind on school (to a point anyway... we aren't doing much english because I don't care for it and don't want the stress of it right now), and I could go on and on.

I try to find ways to keep our costs down... I make my own diapers for the baby.. that takes time and keeps me mentally occupied as well, I knit and crochet (and of course sew).. I'm planning out my Christmas presents for the kids because it's obvious that we will have nothing under the tree unless they come from things we have here at home already... heck we aren't even sure we will have the money to go for a tree! These will take up plenty of time and I'm going to make myself not think that I'm making them because I have to, I am making them because I don't want my kids to continue to be sooooooo materialistic.

I also do things like suduko, play games on the computer, hide in a bubble bath or just veg in front of the tv for a bit. Oh and I will sometimes read a book.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #12  
Starting over

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions.

Funny about the bath: I don't do baths. It's to be my reward when I reach under 200lbs--but I'd rather avoid the unpleasantness of sticking to the sides of the tub at the moment. No, the joy of baths left a long time ago.

I think I'm over the worst of it, now, I hope. (I'm beginning to think my reactions were TOM related, too. I was feeling quite depressed and sleeping lots--when I eventually did sleep!)

I don't know what to do.

I did pick up the Omnivore's Dilemna (Michael Pollen) from the library last night: but I wanted to eat another sleeve of soda crackers--or popcorn--or something while I was reading it. Instead, I came downstairs and made myself a BIG veggie omelet, instead. (Hadn't had enough proteins for the day.)

Eating while reading is an old, old childhood habit. I even used to eat my buttered popcorn with a spoon so I wouldn't get grease on the pages.

Sigh.

I cannot seem to figure out hunger cues when I'm stressed, it seems, either. I mean, I guess I was hungry when I had those inappropriate foods the other time. If I'd just taken a few minutes and picked out something allowed on my plan, like I did last night, maybe I would have been OK.

I don't know. It's a journey, right? And I really, really am not not enjoying this bit right now.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate it.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-11-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Cannot concentrate!