Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Alternative Protein Sources?

Are there any alternative protein sources? I've never been much of a meat eater and I'm positively tired of chicken. I'm sure there has to be something they recommend for vegetarians like nuts?
funshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

i used to be a vegetarian, so here's what i ate to have enough protein: seitan, soy, tofu, legumes. people also eat eggs (i find them to be the most energy but it is not healthy to eat too much of them), cheese...

hope this helps!
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

SOY, SOY, SOY!

Theres TVP (textured vegetable protein) you can buy it dry and reconstitute it with cooking.

Theres the pre-made frozen tvp crumbles like Morning Star Farms. They make a ground hamburger, ground sausage, burgers, sausages, bacon, corn dogs, chicken patties, etc. And they are actually really good.

Theres soy protein powder you can add to your cooking dishes.

Theres soy milk which is loaded with protein.

Theres always eggs, the whites are low fat, low cal, and full of protein.

Theres nuts of all kinds.

Theres peanut butter.

Theres all kinds of different beans & legumes.

Dont let anybody tell you that you must consume meat in order to keep up on your protein. It just isnt true.

Good luck!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #4  

Thanks! I'm aware of all the TVP-type things, but I didn't know if any of it is okay to use on plan?

BTW - 97 pounds lost! You go! That's awesome

Last edited by funshine; 09-09-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/147/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshine View Post
Are there any alternative protein sources? I've never been much of a meat eater and I'm positively tired of chicken. I'm sure there has to be something they recommend for vegetarians like nuts?
funshine i swear i was just going 2 post the same problem!! i m not much of a meat eater .. chicken once mayb twice is week is pretty much my limit .. now its 2 times everyday & its driving me nuts!!! i checked with the counselor abt this last time n she told me that there was a veggie menu but if u do take that u have 2 follow it a 100% as u cannot switch between plans i was hoping 2 check with someone else at the center tomorrow so if they have suggestions will let u knw. lentils & legumes are a good source of protein but its on the 'starch' portion of our plan ..so that does not help ..
mountain gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #6  

anyone here on the veggie plan ??
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #7  
rip

S/C/G: 282

Height: 5 11

I am the same way. To help I have been having meal replacement shakes for dinner 3 times a week along with a veggie. For lunch everyday I have CC and fruit, no meat. It has helped that I am only eating meat 4 times a week and two of those days are shrimp. That is how I am getting around the problem.

Started MRC 5/9/09
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #8  

[QUOTE=rip;2918090]For lunch everyday I have CC and fruit, no meat. [\QUOTE]

Sorry, my brain isn't working...what's CC?

Last edited by funshine; 09-09-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #9  

[QUOTE=funshine;2918095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
For lunch everyday I have CC and fruit, no meat. [\QUOTE]

Sorry, my brain isn't working...what's CC?
cottage cheese i guess
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #10  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 225/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I think that we are so funny and need to pat ourselves on the back, for staying OP although we don't like a lot of the menu options.

I don't like eating plain ol' eggs, cottage cheese, cheese (I could drink the nacho cheese though) and meat. I forced myself to eat these things in the beginning and the more I eat these things anyway, the more I like them. I do try to be meatless for breakfast and lunch so I don't get too tired of chicken and shrimp. I do not cook red meat, so I eat a lot of chicken. I even buy the ground chicken breast. I prefer this over the ground turkey. I don't like the consistency of the ground turkey.

Last edited by learning2Bhealthy; 09-12-2009 at 12:17 AM.
learning2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #11  

doing the veggie menu for a week now .. so ur allowed to have 1/4 cup nuts/ soy burger -( 1 ) or any of the veggie chicken pattie/burger/hotdog/ 'lite' tofu/ tempeh. therz also low fat ricotta , brown rice, pasta ,whole wheat pasta & quinoa! just throwing it out there cuz i remember reading a thread where some1 asked if we cud have soy burger.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain gal View Post
doing the veggie menu for a week now .. so ur allowed to have 1/4 cup nuts/ soy burger -( 1 ) or any of the veggie chicken pattie/burger/hotdog/ 'lite' tofu/ tempeh. therz also low fat ricotta , brown rice, pasta ,whole wheat pasta & quinoa! just throwing it out there cuz i remember reading a thread where some1 asked if we cud have soy burger.

So, what do you think about the vegetarian option??
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl View Post
So, what do you think about the vegetarian option??
i was on the veggie menu for just a week - it definitely was a good break from all that meat! plus many more choices with starch and protein and i dint feel 2 the need 2 use any creamies. I think its bumped up my weight loss this week but will knw 4 sure tmrw at WI. thanks 4 the advice on mrc 6- Im buying it tmrw! howz it going with you?? the fat pants idea was good - i never thought abt that - although i still wear them . ive lost 11+ but my its not like my pants are falling off or anything! but any weight lost is better than no weight lost right..
Old 10-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain gal View Post
i was on the veggie menu for just a week - it definitely was a good break from all that meat! plus many more choices with starch and protein and i dint feel 2 the need 2 use any creamies. I think its bumped up my weight loss this week but will knw 4 sure tmrw at WI. thanks 4 the advice on mrc 6- Im buying it tmrw! howz it going with you?? the fat pants idea was good - i never thought abt that - although i still wear them . ive lost 11+ but my its not like my pants are falling off or anything! but any weight lost is better than no weight lost right..
I can't wait to see what you think after doing this (veg menu) for a few weeks. Do you eat a lot of soy? I might ask them to see the menu tomorrow when I WI. Hope all goes well with the MRC 6. I think it really helped me. Keep us all up to date on that wt loss, girl!
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote