Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Free Meal

Does any one give their self a free meal? When I dieted before I allowed myself to have one meal and not count calories . Jest wondering if any one else does this.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Some do but I am not one. I am the type of person that if I allow myself to do that then I go way overboard and so I just refuse to set myself up for a failure but this is just me, I am not speaking for everyone.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #3  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I think I structure my eating plan a lot differently than most here, as I have not counted any calories because I *hate* doing so. I do read labels, check nutrition info ahead of time for restaurants, etc., so I am aware of what I put in my mouth. I'd say I do stay with my OP foods 90% of the time, and whenever I treat myself to something I'd call "free" (which would basically be any food not on my normal plan), I just make sure I eat a moderate amount. Seems to work for me ok, and allows me to have pizza, cookies, cake, etc. without feeling any guilt.

Maybe my plan will sound out of whack to some here and I know it wouldn't work for everybody, but no matter what your plan is, I think there should be some way to occasionally treat yourself without going overboard. And as long as you handle it in such a way that you don't set yourself up for failure, I say go for it.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Not I, I always account for every bite I take.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Nope nope nope and nope. I find it REALLY hard to get back on plan after I've allowed myself a free for all... I only did it once for two days at Christmas and it took 10 days after to get all of the water weight off and get back on track. Not worth it for me!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

I find it an unrealistic expectation of myself to log my calories EVERY DAY so I just have a goal to log my calories MOST days of the week. Even on the days that I don't log calories, I don't go overboard. Now that I know how much food I NEED everyday versus what I USED TO I have a little bit of a free meal but not a free-for-all.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

I lose control if I don't stay on plan.
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I do not and haven't during my journey. I want to be concious of my choices. I am a calorie counter and if I want something badly enough I will plan for it and work it in. I would only be cheating myself if I chose to go off plan. No thanks! I am tired of being fat.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #9  

I knew a guy in college who was on a 6 day diet. He followed his diet during the week then on Saturday he could eat whatever he wanted. He said that knowing he had a cheat day made it easier to stick to a diet... and then when Saturday came around, he craved healthier options, didn't want out of control portions, and would always think about how hard he had worked during the week. At the most, he'd go overboard on alcohol (hey, it was college!) He lost a lot of weight. It worked for him.

At the most, I allow myself a chocolaty treat during my TOM.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #10  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I do! It's very nice to have ONE meal per week for times when you need to go out to eat, for example, due to a family commitment or something. BUT, you need to be very careful of portion sizes when you do. So.. I call it my "free meal within reason" It is helping me to see what size of portions are "normal".. I really consider it a practice maintenance meal at this point. I also log the calories in every bite for that day. It gives me a good reality check. However, if I was the type of eater that was a binge eater? NO WAY would I do it. My problem is and always has been portion sizes.

OH .. one other thing. I never do it a whole day - only one meal. It's part of my plan, so I do not consider it a failure (key for me because I tend to be a perfectionist and at the first sign of trouble, beat myself up).

Last edited by HotWings; 09-08-2009 at 11:16 PM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #11  
wants that Louis Vuitton!

S/C/G: 300/203.4/170

Height: 5'5"

for the most part...no.

However...when I reach a milestone I will reward myself with something that I've been craving...that way it's out of the way until the next milestone. lol

For instance...when I lose 25lbs, I am treating myself to a Chipotle Burrito! No calories counted!!!! lol.
StellarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #12  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I'm also in the camp of "If I allow myself a free meal, I have a hard time regining myself in". Frankly, for me, to many 'free' meals is what got me fat. I don't want to see food as a reward or treat, but something I simply need to survive. Like air. Yes, it should be pleasurable and enjoyable. At the same time, I'd rather give myself a non-food treat as a reward. Having said that, if I want something, I budget it into my calories, afterwards, I realise it was a big waste of calorie dollars as I spend a good portion of my day filling up on water, since I don't have spare calories to use for snacks. No thanks.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Sort of.....I'm doing a meal delivery program and they deliver 7 lunches and 6 dinners with the idea of you having a 'free' meal. We are cautioned to eat within reason. So, yes I have a 'free' meal once a week but I exercise portion control. Like someone else mentioned, just knowing that once a week I can have a FEW fries and half a burger keeps me on the straight and narrow. Or maybe 2 slices of pizza. And because there are no forbidden foods I don't feel deprived. I guess I'm a bit rebellious-tell me I can't have something and then I HAVE to have it..sigh. All I know is that in the past forbidding myself from having certain foods ever again made me snap. And before I knew it, I had put on all the weight I had lost.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

We're not talking about forbidding certain foods... we're talking about having a free "no calories counted" meal.

I eat pizza. I just count it. I eat a hamburger or ice cream... I plan for it and count it. I don't have to have a "free" meal to eat the foods that I want. I just have to plan and account for it.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #15  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
We're not talking about forbidding certain foods... we're talking about having a free "no calories counted" meal.

I eat pizza. I just count it. I eat a hamburger or ice cream... I plan for it and count it. I don't have to have a "free" meal to eat the foods that I want. I just have to plan and account for it.
Exactly. Nothing for me is forbidden or not allowed, I simply choose to fill up on quality food, which frankly, I get more quantity, as opposed to smaller portions of food thats of lower quality. If I can have anything I want, then I never really crave anything, because I know it's available. One thing I learned, is portion control, sure, have that piece of chocolate cake Ang, it's fine, but watch the portion, because those calories WILL show up later in the week. If I budget for them, I can have a piece of cake as large as I want, I just no longer want to have a free binge day. I think thats the biggest part of changing a lifestyle, in my opinion, its no longer a diet, not for me, it's a daily choice I make on how I want to continue to live my life. I no longer want food to control me, so that at the end of the week I'm salivating over all the stuff I denied myself throughout the week and get into a vicious cycle of being 'good' all week just to have a free meal/day/whatever, and spend the rest of the week making up for it.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote