Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #1  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Default Anyone succesfully gotten a dog to lose weight?

Please tell me how you did it.
My mum has pembroke corgis that I sort of consider mine too, because we used to all live together and I see them all the time and walk them too. One of the three sisters is really fat. Partly it's because she has a tiny frame (we call her a mini-corg) but her belly is too big and she weighs a ton when you pick her up. She has lost a bit since moving to a more rural area just because they all have more room to run around, but she is very greedy. She watches food like a hawk, steals bits from the others after wolfing her food in about two seconds, hoovers crumbs, begs from everyone, and gnaws on bones all day long. It doesn't seem fair to take all their bones away just because of her. I love this girl to bits, she's only 1 1/2 and is really funny, clever and cute. I want her to live a long healthy life. Advice plz....
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I reduced my dogs' weights just by - literally - giving them less. Not all of them but when I feed them, just twice a day, I supervise so that no-one nicks food from the others.
I shouldn't think bones would matter much to her weight, and they're great for the teeth.

Although they hoover, I don't ever give them treats; and I measure their food - it's dried - to the gram. In fact, the last time I lost weight it was realizing that I took better care of them than of myself.

They're all 13+ now, and fit and healthy, although they've slowed down and sleep a lot.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Give her less food. Measure the amount you give her. The bag of dog food will tell you the correct amount to give her. Feed her once a day and don't feed her table scraps . It is not healthy for her to be overweight anymore than it is for us.

Last edited by bargoo; 09-08-2009 at 09:06 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I would consult your vet. My vet recommended that my dog lose weight. She is on a special "diet" dog food. I make sure she gets enough exercise from walks and I limit any table scraps I feed her. I have to say that now that I'm eating only 1350 calories a day there is not much scraps I give to the dog LOL! My dog is 9 and has lost weight over time she has so much more energy too now that I have her walking more.
jayjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #5  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Yes...I worked w/ my vet--I have two beagles one was the perfect weight, one was way overweight...finally figured out that one wasn't eating all of her food and the other was eating hers and finishing the other one's!

We cut down on their dry food and mixed in green beans to help fill them up (we measure both the dry food and the beans). At first we needed a teeny bit of wet food to mix it all together (they wouldn't eat the green beans by themselves....now they love them!)

BUT!!!! Check w/ your vet...I have heard veggies are not good for all breeds. I can only tell you what we did.

Beagle #2 is now the same weight as Beagle #1!!!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #6  

My dog is and has always been the perfect weight (lucky dog.) But I remember my vet saying that ice cubes were the perfect dog treat. If your pet likes to eat them, they are good for hydrating, and zero calories so they do not affect his diet. Sometimes, I will mix the water from a can of tuna with just plain water and freeze it in an ice cube tray. My dog thinks they are heaven.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a very food loving beagle and a corgi mix. I separate them while eating or else the beagle would steal the corgi's food. The beagle was starting to become overweight so we cut back on his food. To help him feel fuller, I supplement his food with veggies, mostly green beans but other things including lettuce, tomatoes and pumpkin puree.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #8  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I have 2 dogs. A yellow lab and a mixed breed lunatic. I love them both terribly and only want the best. I saw the lab was getting a little waddle in her walk and when we took her to the vet she was up 6 lbs! My husband and I are very regimented with their food. We measure using measuring cups and they only get 2 treats a day. When they get up and when they go to bed. So I was totally perplexed. It turns out my dad who'd visit my dogs on his lunch hour was feeding them practically 1/2 his sandwich: ham, cheese, mayo, bread. I let him know, food was not a way to show them love.

I'm going to tell you the same thing: FOOD DOES NOT EQUAL LOVE.
Advice: Until her weight gets under control, I'd forgo the daily bones to all the doggies. I know it sucks to "punish" all the dogs just because the little needs to lose weight, but really they won't miss them too badly. It's probably best to segregate them during feeding if she's stealing food from the others.

Also, it's important that everyone in the house is on the same page. If you're trying your hardest to keep her healthy but your mom or someone else is sneaking the dog treats, everything your doing is a waste of time.

You didn't mention exercise. Does she get regular walking?
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #9  
Geek and like it.

Thanks so much for the replies!
I love the idea of replacing some of her meat with vegetables. We did ask our vet before about giving them veg, and he said go ahead, it's good for them. I think that will work better than just giving her less quantity because she'll have something to occupy her mouth a few minutes (ok seconds) longer whilst the others are chowing down. I'm going to talk to my mum about this, and be more regular about monitoring them eat. One is not very interested in proper food, only treats (I say she's like a kid who only wants sweets not food) and if I'm not careful she'll let Little Chubby finish hers.
AbbySinthe, they all get 2 walks a day, a long one in the morning and a shorter trip at night. She loves her walks, she's just my little greedy one .
Yeah, I need to keep asking people not to give her bits. I'm afraid they do all come and sit in a ring around people, wagging and looking cute. It's very true that food doesn't = love. I could ask people to tickle her tummy instead.
Quote:
Sometimes, I will mix the water from a can of tuna with just plain water and freeze it in an ice cube tray. My dog thinks they are heaven
You know the mind of the dog, my friend. My dear departed GSD Una was aka Una the Tuna

Last edited by Me23; 09-08-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #10  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I have a very food loving beagle and a corgi mix. I separate them while eating or else the beagle would steal the corgi's food. The beagle was starting to become overweight so we cut back on his food. To help him feel fuller, I supplement his food with veggies, mostly green beans but other things including lettuce, tomatoes and pumpkin puree.
Hah, same here. My beagle wolfs down her food, but she's basically learned that she's not allowed to go after the corgi's food. We watch them eat and if the corgi doesn't finish before moving away from the the bowl, we pick it up and call him done.

They eat the same food (high quality Natural Balance), but we watch their weight. For a while, the beagle seemed to be gaining weight, so we reduced her from 1 cup/day to 2/3 cup/day (split into 2 feedings). She also jogs with me three days a week plus play time and nightime walks. She seems pretty stable at a healthy weight right now.

My cat is also on a diet, but because he never finishes his food in one sitting and is fairly sedentary, he's on a "diet" cat food.

It's more of a long term thing, because they eat so little to begin with that you just have to watch for appearance trends.

Last edited by rocketbunny; 09-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #11  
Geek and like it.

I knew it had gotten bad my mum referred to 'Little Fatty' and the dog looked up and wagged.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

The vet I work for recommends feeding twice a day, a reduced calorie/diet dog food, preferably a script, such as Science Diet R/D, cutting the amount of the dog food and supplementing with green beans.

We had a Golden Retriever lose 30 pounds on this diet. The owner also kept a can of green beans open and used them as treats.

Last edited by shcirerf; 09-29-2009 at 03:56 PM.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #13  
Geek and like it.

I'm glad to report that our Little Fatty is slimming down a bit. Her ground clearance has visibly increased (and she has 2-inch legs). This has been a combination of less biscuits (cough *mum* cough) and vegetables. The other night I was at my mum's place and she was eating leftover stir fry veg (albeit reluctantly, after realizing that nothing else was on offer). Seriously, she is such a great dog. She has an awesome sense of humour and if you want to 'mad' her (mess her up) she plays along and pretends to go crazy and play-bite you with this wicked look in her eye. It's the cutest thing ever.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I forgot to mention I have Corgi's too! Love'em. Ruby has gotten a bit tubby, due to my DH feeding her tater chips.

We've cut that out, cut back a bit on dog food and we're going walking during my lunch break.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #15  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

My dogs have dropped twenty pounds each by switching them to a grain-free formula and reducing their food by a third. My vet told me that bagged dog foods' feeding charts are for active to highly active dogs - which mine, well, aren't. He said that in general, giving them about 2/3s the minimum amount is plenty for a fairly inactive dog.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote