Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default For those who are dessert people

Right or wrong, we love desserts at our house. Baked goods are always a favorite--homemade cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc.

I was thinking this morning that maybe we'd be better off trying to figure out some fruit-based desserts, maybe some cobblers or crisps or something.

It would still be dessert, but might be a subtle way to wean ourselves off some of the baked goods.

What do you think?
What do you do for desserts when you're trying to lose weight/feel better?

I suppose we could always go "cold turkey" and skip desserts completely, but I know that wouldn't work here. Same thing with grabbing a piece of plain fruit--that just isn't "dessert".
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I am on the one bite plan...I allow myself one bite of dessert a day and just count the calories the best I can. I dont feel deprived by getting a bite of something sweet. I also keep mini candy bars in the house.It sure helps when TOM is causing me to crave chocolate.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

Diet pudding or sugar free Blue Bunny ice cream bars are good. Or I make a bowl of sugar free orange jello w/ cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm an ice cream girl so I save myself about 100-150 calories to use. I love skinny cow's chocolate truffle bars (and yes I eat one every evening)

There are some good desserts in the hungry girl cookbooks and in the weight watchers cookbooks. I've cooked a few esp for family gatherings and no one knew that they were "diet"!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 09-08-2009 at 10:39 AM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Thanks for the great dessert suggestions!
I'm not a big ice cream fan, but my dh is, so I'll look for some of these substitutes for him. (He wants to lose weight too.)

Dgramie, I'd like to say that I'm on the "one bite" dessert plan too, but unfortunately, I tend to be on the "one bag" plan, as in I can go through one bag of mini Reese's Cups so fast it would make your head spin.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Any of the Skinny Cow desserts are great. I love grapefruit with a sprinkling of sugar. Toast with honey and a little butter is great and leaves me satisfied as well.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

I am afraid that I can't eat just one bite of something.

My favorite dessert of the moment is Hunt's sugar-free pudding and low fat honey graham crackers. It tastes like chocolate pie with a graham cracker crust. The pudding is 70 calories and one sheet of the graham crackers is 60 calories. I dip the cracker in the pudding but you could make it look like a real dessert by spreading the pudding on the cracker, nice and big!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #8  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post

I suppose we could always go "cold turkey" and skip desserts completely, but I know that wouldn't work here. Same thing with grabbing a piece of plain fruit--that just isn't "dessert".
Blows my theory, cuz fresh fruit IS our dessert. Sorry.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

sugar free fudgecicles
fat free coolwhip on anything!
fat free coolwhip with 1 pack of sugar free jello mixed in (no water added)
use the flavored coolwhip you just made and put it between 2 reduced fat gahram crackers and freeze it for an "ice cream sandwhich"
light whipped cream cheese mixed with no sugar added cherry pie filling
strawberry shortcake
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #10  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

No Pudge Brownie mix is awesome!

I also like slices of apples cooked with a combination of smart balance, oats, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar. It gives me an apple pie/crisp feeling without all the excess calories and sugar.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I always finish my evening meal with a 'dessert'. My favorite is an individual meringue nest (55 cals) served with low fat greek yogurt (80 cals) and lots of summer fruits on top. This is my pavlova substitute. I'll also have skinny cows and WW do a chocolate brownie dessert here that's really yummy. Low fat custard with baked apples, pears or chopped banana. Low fat rice pudding. There's lots of options to round off a good meal!

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #12  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Tbh I like proper desserts - carrot cake and chocolate cake and ice cream and jelly. So I just get/make low calorie/fat versions of them, otherwise I'm not satisfied. I love the WW/Asda Carrot Cake slices, which are 1 point each. And I buy the WW chocolate/strawberry mousses and make sugar free jelly. I have a sweet tooth and need these treats unfortunately, but I just go for the WW versions.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My number one fave right now is Arctic Zero Ice Cream. You can eat the entire pint--and thats one helluvalot--for about 125 calories.

I also like the Jello Gelatin sugar free--I think they are five calories each. I put about 4 of them in a bowl with finely diced celery, a few almonds and some Cool Whip Light.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #14  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Breyers Fat Free French Chocolate ice cream, with 1 tbsp of Lite Hersheys syrup, and some berries. Even if I want a full cup, the ice cream and syrup come in right at 200 calories, 110 for a half cup. The berries are some extra, but they are healthy so I don't have to justify them, just count them.

Anyway - if I'm good (and sometimes if I'm not), I get this EVERY night for dessert. It keeps my sweet and chocolate cravings away, and keeps me from laying into the candy bars. Emphasis on the plural.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #15  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Sometimes I get a bit frustrated because I often can't have pre-made sugar-free or no sugar added desserts; they typically contain aspartame which I have a really bad reaction to.

So what I do is allow myself small amounts of desserts that have actual sugar in them, like mini candy bars. I love picking up a particular bag that has nothing but variations of dark chocolate, and I allow myself to have one every night. In the future I'd like to learn how to make certain desserts (like pudding) and substitute stevia as the sweetener.

I also drink fruit smoothies every day, and while those satisfy my dessert/sweet-tooth amazingly well, they're actually very healthy! So sweet and creamy too (I add fat-free yogurt for the creaminess). The frozen fruit is usually sweet enough on its own, although sometimes I add some stevia.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote