Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #1  
Keep on Swimming!

S/C/G: 293/See Ticker/Healthy

Height: 5'6"

Default Quick Eater?

I was wondering how many of ya'll out there are (were) fast eaters and if you were, how did slowing down and taking your time change your body?

I was reading a website and this lady controlled her portions, ate slow, and took a drink between each bite. She said that she got full quicker, ate less and lost weight.

Do any of ya'll have any experience in this?

Angela
Nursie2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's how I was- I used to gobble up my meal in less than 2-5 minutes. Then I started watching how thinner people ate. They put down their fork between bites, they sip their drink, they talk, and so on.

So I started purposely putting down my fork, purposely sipping my drink, and now it's more second nature- I do eat a lot less than I used to and have lost over 20 lbs.

Last edited by beerab; 08-28-2009 at 05:20 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

I'm a rather quick eater...on the other hand my DH is quite slow. I try to take sips of my drink when he does and try to pace myself like him. I find I still eat a tad faster than him, but not as fast as I used to.

I try to put less on my plate than his and I'm trying to keep cutting down my portions bit by bit. I can't eat like him...I definitely don't have his quick metabolism.
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #4  
Keep on Swimming!

With my 3 meals today I have taken smaller portions, put my fork down between bites, and drank in between each bite. I was really surprised at how much more quickly I got full. Today for lunch I had a WW meal. It used to take me maybe 3 minutes to eat one and I would still be hungry. Today it took me 11 minutes to eat and I felt like I was going to explode I was so full . I did the same with supper. We were out shopping so I took the kids to Taco Bell and ordered 2 Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos. They are so yummy! First time I had tried them. Anyways, I just about didn't finish the second taco because I was so full.

I really hope this helps me. I know that it is better for the digestion as well if you eat slower.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #5  
Keep on Swimming!

beerab: Congrats on the 20 pounds gone! I hope to see you there soon

Wifey: I sware my metabolism is so slow that I don't have one. At least you are cutting down your portions. Every little thing helps, I say.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

I used to eat fast and now I'm slowing down. I find it helps as well. my eating schedule is off as I can't eat every two hours, this helps to speed up the metabolism and it was working when I was on track, but at work I just can't do that so I gained two pounds but am loosing inches still, I'm blaming TOM as she hasn't came yet this month.
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #7  
Keep on Swimming!

TracyB: That is encouraging to me that it has helped you lose as well. I feel dumb because I am a nursing student and didn't realize that eating small meals often sped up the metabolism. It makes me even happier and excited about changing my eating habits!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #8  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

I was a quick eater up until a year ago. I would usually eat while standing and when I finally had time to sit down it was as if I were eating another meal! I now make sure I have had a bottle of water and take the time to savor my meal...salad first!
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Thank you Hoping to be out of the 200s soon
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 284/tickah/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
I think it's all the water you sip between bites that fills you up so you eat less, plus you get extra water in. It's hard and a constant battle with me. It also makes you think about what you are eating and you actually taste your food and enjoy it vs. forgetting you ate so your brain still thinks you are hungry.

I am a nurse too and my friends and I have talked about this also. We worked in a high pressure unit and all learnt to eat fast in case you had to run to help someone. If you didn't get called for help, it was a bonus, you were done eating and then could relax. Good luck!
me1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #11  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

I almost always eat lunch in front of my computer, so I tend to shovel it in. I'm going to try to savor it more!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #12  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I almost always eat lunch in front of my computer, so I tend to shovel it in. I'm going to try to savor it more!
Hehe, I know exactly what you mean. I was a desk jockey for over 10 years and conditioned myself to eat as quickly as possible at my desk. I was never a fast eater until I entered the IT field. Now, I take my time and drink plenty of water with each meal.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 143/136/120

Height: 5ft6

I am definitely going to try this today. I really need to appreciate the food I eat more, especially if I am going to be eating less of it
twisterella is offline   Reply With Quote