Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Re-birth of old frustrations

So today I made the choice to start writing down everything that goes into my mouth. I stopped writing everything down for awhile because I thought I didn't need to. But after a couple weeks I realized that because I was writing down the food intake anymore, I wasn't really paying any attention to what I was eating. Anything I could get my hands on, was going into my mouth. That's what got me in this situation in the first place. So this morning, I wrotw down my breakfast, and my snack... I am hoping that this will help me to get off this plateau and back into the 260's....still not a great number, but I haven't been in the 260's probably since my freshman year of high school (5 years ago). Also, I am making a choice not to drink soda any more...which I had stopped doing for awhile. But when I'm at work, I get free drinks...so the pop is so easy to drink I just do it. But I'm going back to water, and occassionally tea. But with the water, after awhile it gets boring. So what do I do to not make it so boring? And the scale....when I firsat started on my life styl change, I only got on the scale once a week...but since I gained about 10 pounds back I get on the scale it seems like every 2 hours...how do I break that habit? I know that it will only discourage me... yet I keep doing it. How did any of you stop looking at the scale all the time? Whether at the beginning of your journey, or anytime thereafter? Any advice? thank you
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #2  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

If I find myself obsessing about the scale, I put it away for a while. Someplace too inconvenient to pull it out every two hours, like the rafters of the garage.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

throw your scale out!!! Seriously...do you belong to a gym?? you could use theirs once a week when you go in to check on your weight...i dont personally own a scale...to me, it is just a number and i know on any given day, at any given TIME of day i could be up or down a few pounds!! i go based on how i feel, and how my clothes feel.....beside i am much more interested in what my BODY FAT is, rather than weight......
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #4  

I like weighing frequently.
For me, it helps me be in tune with my body. The almost rythmic predictability of the fluctuations are actually comforting to me. I know the fluctuations are normal, because they happen all the time. The scale isn't emotional for me.

But, if you are using the scale to punnish yourself and it only makes you feel bad. Then do not use the scale. Measuring tape or the fit of your clothes are just as good at assessing your progress.

There are no rules-do what makes you happy. It all works.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #5  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

I used to do the same thing...it was SO frustrating! I now weigh on the first day of the month about 6PM.

It's hard, but just do it...you'll feel better when you step on the scale every 30 days and see a real loss.

S

Last edited by sherrybwc; 09-01-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: edited for typo
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #6  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I weigh every day, but the only one I truly pay attention to is the one on Monday morning. For me, it's a self check. If I notice a huge increase overnight I look at the food journal and how much water I'm getting. Sometimes sodium will sneak in, in the form of Dt Dr Pepper<my personal fave food>, and processed foods, and my sleep habits. For me, if I dont get enough sleep, I seriously, just don't lose weight.. It's also just a cheerful thing in the morning, to see that small loss, in ounces.

I know for osme, and it sounds like this for you, it can become obsessive, especially if you recently gained some back. Keep in mine, NOONE absolutely NOONE sees that number. But you. Noone writes it on your forehead and there's no flashing neon sign over you telling the world what you weigh. What we notice is how you feel and how you carry yourself, and yeah ok, your weight. But not the exact number. Put it away for a bit, as difficult as it is. If you need to weigh yourself often, try just once a day.

Water...add lemons, lime, orange slices. It flavours it naturally and you can nibble on the fruit if you choose. I also drink alot of unsweet tea, being from the south, like a huge no no, but I finally got used to it, and now find sweet tea ridiculously sweet.

Good Luck
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 284/tickah/180

Hello,

I agree, put your scale somewhere inconvenient to retrieve so that you have to work to get it if you really need to weigh yourself. You will weigh different throughout the day and could unnecessarily stress you out. Weigh yourself at the same time everyday if needed to get a true picture. I have heard the best time is first thing in the morning. As hard as it is to quit pop, I understand that if you do, you will loose 10lbs. Pop can have alot of salt in it which causes water gain. For water tips; the usual, lemon slices, cucumber, etc. I like a slice of lemon, orange and lime together. Good luck and stick with it!
Heather
me1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 259/230/155

My doctor told me to get on the scale first thing each morning, after using the bathroom and before dressing, which is when you are lightest. I followed his orders because why would you ever get on the scale when you're not at your lightest of the day? It will only serve to frustrate you.

I have to be honest, I feel like you are looking for reasons to fail - you want to fail so you have an excuse to eat whatever you want to. Or you want to lose weight but you don't want it badly enough. Here's why I say that:

* you know that constantly getting on the scale will frustrate you, yet you keep doing it. Why are you willingly doing something that YOU KNOW makes you feel discouraged?
* you complain that water is boring and the sodas are free. So skip the water and have the free, interesting soda because you clearly care more about a beverage providing you with some sort of stimulation than you care about losing weight.

I know that sounds harsh, and some here may be angry with me for "attacking" you, but LISTEN to yourself. Everything you're saying in this post can be boiled down to "I wish I was thin but it's easier/more fun/more interesting being fat." So go ahead and stay fat then. Losing weight is hard, and anyone who tells you different is deluding themselves, or has just forgotten what they went through. It's hard, and in order to do it you have to decide to do it and keep deciding to do it. If drinking free, non-boring sodas at work is more important than losing weight - do it! But if you want to lose weight you have to choose it every single minute of every single day. You have to drink the water instead of soda without complaining. Why on earth WOULD you want soda - full of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup and sodium - over clean, clear pure water? (If you just said, or thought to yourself, 'because it tastes better' then you're not ready to start losing weight.)

The point is that you have to convince yourself that the more healthful choice is the BEST choice, and the RIGHT choice and, what the heck, the ONLY choice for you.

The most important weight loss tool is between your ears. I wish you the best, I really do.
matafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Thank you all for your ideas and help with my concerns. I have only been looking at the scale once a day, but the only number that I really am going to pay attention to is the number on Sunday morning. I have been doing better with the water, I put lemon slices in it at work, and put a few extra slices in my cup to take home for my water at night. Writing down all my food this week has been helping me too. Also, I tried a new class this week at the gym. I have discovered that I love kickboxing!!! It's a great workout, and it helps me to relieve my stress with life. I know that I can do this, and although there are going to be a few bumps in the road, I am strong enough to do this. I want this, for so many reasons, and for those reasons, I will stick with it. I have already lost 43 pounds, and I will continue to lose. I am determined to lose the 7 pounds I have gained back, plus the other 80 I want/need to lose. Again, thank you all for your help. I look forward to getting advice from you all in the future.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #10  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirenity View Post
If I find myself obsessing about the scale, I put it away for a while. Someplace too inconvenient to pull it out every two hours, like the rafters of the garage.
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 259/230/155

That is awesome!
matafleur is offline   Reply With Quote