Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Ruby

I am not the biggest fan of her show but I was watching it tonight. She was at a kids "fat camp". At the presentation she gave, she had the kids to write out a dream list and come up to share. They were saying things like traveling to other countries, joining varsity teams, etc and then this one young girl said "I'd like to be able to cross my legs when I sit." Boy oh boy did that get the water works going!

Okay, that's it for now.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I'm not there yet. I am so behind in Ruby. I'm watching the episode where her ex takes her to the Boxing Place. He gets on my nerves with that whinny voice he's sporting. And they way he left her because of her weight and now wants her back? Whateve...I'd be kicking him to the curb!

Edited to add: I also think he is in it for the TV fame.

Last edited by Diva; 09-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

Amen!!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I think a lot of Ruby is staged - including her relationships. I also think she can get really annoying with that constant whiney thing she does..

But, that said, I am so darn proud of her and I just love the show to bits! What a gorgeous woman, inside and out.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

Her whining was really bugging me for awhile but last week was really sad when her little dog was sick. I think she really is a lovely person and I am not so bothered by her old boyfriend showing back up. I think it's entirely possible that he does love her and is becoming more attracted to her as she is losing weight. (I freely admit that is a big reason why I want to become slim--because I want to increase my chances of attracting a man).

Hey, my DVR is recording now--I bet it's my Ruby episode from this week! (I'm in the Pacific time zone so I haven't seen the camp episode yet).
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Did you guys realize that was the season finale?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, I was kind of guessing that becuase it was called "Final Weigh-in" and because it was a full hour. That seemed like a short season! I really can see a difference in her face; it's much slimmer. I felt compassion for her when the scale was up; she's going through the same struggles that we all do where we feel that we are doing the right things and the scale doesn't always reflect that.

I do wish her well. She seems very sweet.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
...I think it's entirely possible that he does love her and is becoming more attracted to her as she is losing weight. (I freely admit that is a big reason why I want to become slim--because I want to increase my chances of attracting a man).
This might make sense if he had met her when she was thin and she had subsequently gained weight, but that's not what happened. From the timeline, and things she has said in previous episodes, it sounds like he met her near her highest weight (over 600 lbs). To me, it sounds like he is a closeted "chubby chaser." She was "fine" so long as she was virtually housebound, but after she lost some of the weight and then wanted to go "out" and DO things with him, he didn't want to be seen in public with her, so he made the excuse of not being able to be with her because of her weight.

That her friends not only dislike him, but despise him suggests to me that he wasn't just a nice guy who couldn't cope with her weight problem, but was abusive in some ways. I think his giving her a gift of beautiful, expensive embellished jeans in a size far, far too tiny for her to wear (a size that could be too small for her, even at a healthy weight), as a "motivator" shows how off-kilter his relationship with her is.

He fancies himself a "personal trainer," which may have been his motivation in the first place. He may have had fantasies of dating a hugely fat woman and "transforming the ugly duckling into a swan." When she didn't change fast enough for him, he dumped her. I could be wrong, but that's certainly my impression of him, given his current behavior. The too-small jeans is a crappy gift. It says "you're not good enough for me now, but one day you will be, if you do as I say." It doesn't acknowledge all of the progress she has made, instead it shines a spotlight on how far she still needs to go, in order to be acceptable to him.

No one needs that kind of person in their life.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
one young girl said "I'd like to be able to cross my legs when I sit." Boy oh boy did that get the water works going!

Wow do I relate to that wish! I did get a thrill yesterday when I was able to put my foot up on my desk in front of me and paint my toenails.

Ruby annoys me but as I've watched the show I do believe she is a good person. She just needs to stop with all that whining.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #10  
Resident Pixie

It is a wonderful feeling, huh?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #11  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Lightbulb Perfectly Stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
This might make sense if he had met her when she was thin and she had subsequently gained weight, but that's not what happened. From the timeline, and things she has said in previous episodes, it sounds like he met her near her highest weight (over 600 lbs). To me, it sounds like he is a closeted "chubby chaser." She was "fine" so long as she was virtually housebound, but after she lost some of the weight and then wanted to go "out" and DO things with him, he didn't want to be seen in public with her, so he made the excuse of not being able to be with her because of her weight.

That her friends not only dislike him, but despise him suggests to me that he wasn't just a nice guy who couldn't cope with her weight problem, but was abusive in some ways. I think his giving her a gift of beautiful, expensive embellished jeans in a size far, far too tiny for her to wear (a size that could be too small for her, even at a healthy weight), as a "motivator" shows how off-kilter his relationship with her is.

He fancies himself a "personal trainer," which may have been his motivation in the first place. He may have had fantasies of dating a hugely fat woman and "transforming the ugly duckling into a swan." When she didn't change fast enough for him, he dumped her. I could be wrong, but that's certainly my impression of him, given his current behavior. The too-small jeans is a crappy gift. It says "you're not good enough for me now, but one day you will be, if you do as I say." It doesn't acknowledge all of the progress she has made, instead it shines a spotlight on how far she still needs to go, in order to be acceptable to him.

My husband has always liked me for how I am...he's been losing weight with me, (guys tend to lose so much faster with minimal effort! Kinda cheeses me a little, okay a LOT! I plan and prepare the meals and I exercise, he doesn't... all he needs to do is eat the foods I put in front of him...arrghhh)! I digress...but the other day marked 10% of my total body weight gone, and he says "Congratulations, what's your NEXT GOAL?" I told him, "Jeesh, would you just let me enjoy THIS victory???? I have been looking forward to this almost four months!" Makes me wonder if now that he is losing weight, that he expects me to look like a supermodel? I don't know if this is the case, but I do know ONE THING...Even if I have very little body fat, I ain't gonna look like no supermodel! I am 43 and 5'2" and muscular... so even though I may look good, It may not be "good enough" for him, but it will be good enough for me. I may not be losing fast, but I am losing slow and steady. Kinda makes me wonder about some things though.

Last edited by Ryanne; 09-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I really want to see that show, Ruby, but I only recently heard about it (here). I hope it comes out on dvd because I have it 'saved' in my netflix cue.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #13  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Yup...yup...
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #14  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Quote:
I also think she can get really annoying with that constant whiney thing she does..
I have not watched the show often due to this...with that much support, I wish her the best.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #15  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Ryanne, you know him better than anyone here, but I'd give the guy a pass on that one. Some people are very goal oriented and the best thing about achieving a goal is planning the next one. I'm sort of like that.

As to Ruby, I've only seen a couple of episodes because I don't have cable and I've only watched it when my sister TIVO'd them, but I thought she made a darn good tour guide. I would have loved to have been on one of her tours!
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote