Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Default I've reached the "How long can I do this?" Phase

I sat down to have lunch and can't help but think, "How long can I continue eating these kinds of foods?" I know I feel better eating healthier foods, but I just do not enjoy eating them anymore. I found myself eating Brussel Sprouts today as much as I hate them, because I am just totally tired of eating the same old foods (brown rice, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beans, etc...)

Granted, I have lost almost 80 pounds total since starting my diet and 20+ lbs. since restarting my diet, but I had to take an extended break (2 months) from it for this very same reason. I don't want that to happen again, I am having excellent progress with my diet and don't want it to take any longer than it already has.

Also, this week I have started having severe hunger pangs. I try to keep my calorie count at 1500, sometimes going over by 200 calories when I feel I need more to eat. I feel full when I eat my three meals and two snacks daily. However, shortly after I feel hungry again. And i do eat plenty of fiber and protein. I just don't understand it. The past 5 weeks have been great, and now I feel like I did when I started my diet, like I am starving to death. I do add calories to my intake from my exercising. If I didn't, I would pass out ;-(

And I just wanted to add, it's not thirst I am mistaking for hunger. I drink a gallon and a half of water daily. My stomach will feel full and content even, but my stomach growls and pangs. Make sense?

Does anyone have any ideas??? I am so exhausted and getting very annoyed with this. My personal trainer has me going to the gym 6 days a week and I can barely make it through my workouts now. Before, I felt SO energetic and was so gung-ho (sp?) about it all.

Last edited by jefferzzzz; 09-03-2009 at 02:50 PM.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #2  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Sorry to hear this but the first thing is that you should listen to your body! Dont let one day or one week dictate your entire weightloss progress. On days when you are hungry eat more it doesnt have to be bad foods but satisfy your hunger without going over board. If your working out six days a week you may just need to up your calories depending on how long your workouts are. Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda08 View Post
Sorry to hear this but the first thing is that you should listen to your body! Dont let one day or one week dictate your entire weightloss progress. On days when you are hungry eat more it doesnt have to be bad foods but satisfy your hunger without going over board. If your working out six days a week you may just need to up your calories depending on how long your workouts are. Good luck
You're right... I realized after posting this, how silly I was being. I guess I needed to vent, and thanks for listening lol.

I think you're right, I do need to increase my calories I think. According to my bodybugg, I burn about 600-800 calories at the gym, depending on the day, and do add the calories back into my diet. But, I think my calories were too low to begin with. I try to stay at a 1,000 calorie deficit. I'm just gonna have to reduce that somewhat and eat more filling foods.

While I do miss certain foods, it just kind of disturbs me because I know I will have to eat these things for the rest of my life unless I want to blow this and gain weight back. I also think it's time to try new foods and recipes.

Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #4  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

Sorry to hear you're having problems...

For me, variety IS the key, but I have to plan my meals big time! If I try to wing it, I'll end up eating the same old things every day. I also cook what I can for the week on Sunday so I don't have to deal with it after work every day.

Are you on a particular plan or are you simply calorie counting?

Sherry
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #5  

Hi Sherry and thanks for the advice!

I am calorie counting and I do sort of wing it menu wise. I am the type that wants certain things sometimes and if I planned it ahead of time and don't want it at that particular time, I won't eat it. Not all the time, but sporadically. I do make certain things and freeze portions so I can just defrost, heat and eat. I love eating the salmon, whole wheat pasta, turkey, chicken, etc... I think it's moreso the veggies that I am getting tiresome of.

Normally I have a cheat meal per week, and eat anything I want (one meal) within reason and not overdo it. This last week, I didn't want the cheat meal and stuck with my diet meal. Maybe that has something to do with these sudden pangs, I don't know.

That's what I don't understand, it seemed to come out of nowhere. One day i don't even want my "cheat meal" and the next I am tired of all the veggies. Maybe i'm just having a bad day and will get over it tomorrow, or at least hopefully soon.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #6  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I am trying to eat a "whole foods" diet - brown rice, lean chicken, veggies, etc. I have previously been on diets where I get tired of the food! What I am doing differently this time because I am finally seeing it as a lifestyle and not a diet - is keeping a few Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine, etc. frozen meals in the freezer. Then once or twice a week - when I am wanting something other than the "usual", I toss a Smart Ones Lasagna Florentine or something in the microwave for dinner. I have found I am preferring the Smart Ones brand moreso than others. I feel like I am eating something really yummy - like a treat - without even going anywhere near over on my calories. That has helped me to keep about 85% or so of my meals "whole foods" .. so I am getting healthy, losing weight and "treating" myself at the same time.

I also have one meal per week where I can eat anything I want as long as I keep my portion sizes under control. A "cheat" meal. But, as I found out last weekend, definitely need to keep the portion sizes within reason - my cheat meal made my stomach hurt - I ate TOO large of portions. I found out that a "normal" meal for me before I started losing weight was now just entirely too much food.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #7  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzzzz View Post
Maybe i'm just having a bad day and will get over it tomorrow, or at least hopefully soon.
So how are you doing there, jefferzzzz???
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrybwc View Post
So how are you doing there, jefferzzzz???
Hello Sherry!

Well, that day I upped my calories for the day but I didn't have fast food or anything so I did stay on plan. And the next morning, I felt a lot better. I think between the exercise and the very low calories it was just too much of a deficit. I went to Barnes and Noble and got a few low calorie cookbooks so I can change my foods up more and try new things. And I told my personal trainer that I was cutting back my exercise this week. She wasn't too happy about it, but it's my body, not hers lol.

I am back on track and although I only lost 2 pounds this week (usually lose about 4 per week), I am happy about it! I just know if I continued to feel like that I would fail. I would rather lose slowly than take that risk. Thanks for asking!

Jeff
Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I am trying to eat a "whole foods" diet - brown rice, lean chicken, veggies, etc. I have previously been on diets where I get tired of the food! What I am doing differently this time because I am finally seeing it as a lifestyle and not a diet - is keeping a few Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine, etc. frozen meals in the freezer. Then once or twice a week - when I am wanting something other than the "usual", I toss a Smart Ones Lasagna Florentine or something in the microwave for dinner. I have found I am preferring the Smart Ones brand moreso than others. I feel like I am eating something really yummy - like a treat - without even going anywhere near over on my calories. That has helped me to keep about 85% or so of my meals "whole foods" .. so I am getting healthy, losing weight and "treating" myself at the same time.

I also have one meal per week where I can eat anything I want as long as I keep my portion sizes under control. A "cheat" meal. But, as I found out last weekend, definitely need to keep the portion sizes within reason - my cheat meal made my stomach hurt - I ate TOO large of portions. I found out that a "normal" meal for me before I started losing weight was now just entirely too much food.
That sounds like a really good plan! I will definitely go get some Lean Cuisines or something similar to break up the monotony on days I don't feel like cooking. I too am eating mostly whole foods and I guess my body is just getting use to it. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #10  

just look at ur old before pics and that will keep u motivated. i wish i had ur weightloss. i would definitely stay motivated to keep it up. i just need help to take it off fast. good luck.
slimgirlwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #11  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Hey Jeff! Way to go for recognizing the problem and figuring out the solution before you gave up. 2 pounds/week is a reasonable and healthy weight loss. Good job!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #12  

Hello Slimgirl and Judy Lynn!

Unfortunately, I don't have any old pictures, I lost them all in Hurricane Katrina and haven't had many pics taken since then. When I need motivation I just grab a fatroll from my belly and shake it around a little LOL. Believe me Slimgirl, if I can do it (lose the weight), you definitely can too! The time will fly by before you know it, and believe me I am the most impatient person i've ever known ;-)

Thank You Judy! I appreciate the support... I will definitely return the favor sometime ;-)