Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/237/???

Height: 5'8"

Default Work in or out of the home poll

I am thinking that people who work outside the home have different problems losing weight than people who work from home. Which do you do and what are the problems or benefits to it?

I'll go first: I work from home, mostly as mom and housewife, but I also am the business manager for my husband's one man remodeling business (a few hours a week). I think the biggest bad part is that I am right here where all the food is! And since there is no one else here, no one will ever know that I had some cookies. The benefit is housework and gardening and running errands is probably more physical than office jobs. And of course I can have a lot more time to look for new recipes or walk.
Serephina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #2  

I think both groups have different challenges. Those who work need to plan more - what to pack for lunch and plan ahead for dinner and how to fit in exercise - especially if you have a family. Some people that stay home (like me) tend to put things off - I'll exercise LATER or I'll plan dinner LATER - some days I work much better with a deadline.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I work FT outside the home, and I find it easier to stay on track when I'm at work. I've always brought my lunch from home, so I control how much food I've got here. Today it's veggie soup, half-sandwich, 2 plums, etc. When I'm at home, I find it so much easier to eat the not-so-good when I have free range.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I work both from home (writer) and out of the home two days per week.

I am much more relaxed when I'm home and so I find it easier to stay on track.

At work, I have access to the work cafeteria with lots of bad choices, and I'm also more stressed and (used to) want to reward myself with food. Also, because I work a long day and have a long commute, there is no way to fit in exercise on those days. If I had to work outside the home every day I would find that hard.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I find I do ok working at home running my own business You just need to figure out ways to either curb the kitchen visiting habits if you work at home and if you work out of the home and esp in an office setting you have to combat what others bring in to share. Either groups have their drawbacks but it's something you need to evaluate and plan for.

Now knowing when to stop work is my biggest hurdle!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

i'm a stay at home mother, and i find it very hard to stay on track the days i dont have errands to run or anything. i get so bored at home, theres only so much cleaning and playing i can do all day! i only have one child, so when he is happy i have nothing else to do and i tend to reach for anything at all to keep me busy. its a bit easier to exercise, because i can find things that my son can do with me, but in all its pretty difficult to stick to the plan!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I am a full-time telecommuter for a healthcare administrator. I miss working from the office as I now have the opportunity to graze in my kitchen at any time. I don't have structured lunch and break times and I can eat at my desk. Since I left the office for telecommuting, I've gained 70 pounds.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'4

I am currently unemployed! (ugh)
when I worked FT outside the home, fast food was too accessable, and i worked in a mall...so there were lots of temptations. I started gaining weight then. i never exercise however...so that has improved since my job loss. I do however 'graze' more as one poster stated...and i tend to bake more, also.
btw...anyone have a good home based buz op?
I am thinking about taking some online courses also, in paralegal, but I wonder if starting a new "career" at just outside of 40 is even possible!!
thistime140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #9  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I work full time outside the home. M-F 6:30am-3:00pm
I find it way easier to stay on track during my weekdays M-F than on the weekends. I think it's the structure of my work day.
Get to work 6:30-7:00am breakfast by 8:30
Go home at 11am to feed dogs & eat lunch at 11:30am
Gym after work at 3:30pm & Fiber Bar snack on the way home
Dinner by 6pm, water, water, water, read, watch tv sleep.

But during the weekends, it's all so loosie goosie. Wake up whenever, eat whenever, whatever.... If my weekends are any indication as to what I'd do if I worked from home, I'd have a much harder time losing weight.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Let's see, for 19 years, I worked outside the home. I managed to pack on the pounds up to hovering around 250. For the last 2 years of my working, it was done from home and I put on another 80 pounds. It wasn't working or not that did it. For the past year, I have been a stay at home..girlfriend..and I have lost almost 140 pounds. I think for me, it is just about being determined and committed and I should have been all the years I was working but hey, I am now and that's what counts.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote