Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Diet Plan question

I have been looking a alot of different plans and I am wondering is it better to find a plan and work it or make a plan yourself and count calories.

Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/237/???

Height: 5'8"

I am sure the ladies that have lost big will have much to tell you, but I will pass on one thing my doctor told me. "The best diet is the one you will stay with." So, as a complete beginner here, all I am doing right now is eating foods from a list of good stuff and recording it all so that I can stay under 1800 calories. Oh yeah I am also trying to think about the size of the portions I eat too. Good luck and I hope you find one that works for you. (Guess you can always try another right?)

Last edited by Serephina; 09-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Serephina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

I like counting calories best. It gives me the feeling that I have choices.

I know that I can eat whatever I want as long as I count it in my calorie total.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I agree with finding something that fits your lifestyle that you can stick with on a daily basis.

I count calories. For me, it is fairly simple and flexible.

Good luck with your goals
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Like Serephina said, stick with what you can do. Do you think you can cut out carbs? Become vegetarian? Eat pre-packaged foods like medifast? And so on?

For me I couldn't cut out carbs or meat, and I decided to stick to calorie counting. With time I have learned how to make better choices and eat healthier. I try to eat as little processed food as possible and I've upped my fiber intake as well. Before I'd eat 100 calorie packs and then not really lose, but now I see packaged foods just aren't beneficial, they are full of sodium and fat and making things from scratch is the best food IMO

Sure there are some things that are packaged that I do eat, but overall most of my diet is food I make myself (I love to cook- I just do it healthier now).

Good luck with whatever you choose.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  

A combo of South Beach and calorie counting is really working for me, although I agree that you should find a plan that kind of fits your lifestyle = something you can stick to.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree....you need to find something that you can fit into your life. I started with weight watchers first because I needed that extra support and I was familiar with their system (I started off with the old Core since I wanted a list to outline what I needed to eat)...now I calorie count. I'm secure enough to know I'm doing what I need to do & I found counting points is just like counting calories
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

For me it's a combo. I count calories but they can't just be any calories. They really, really matter. Wait a sec. I'm gonna go search and pull out my oft used "my plan" post.

Okay. Got it. Brace yourself, it's long and I didn't bother editing it. It's got some other stuff in there too.

I knew the only way this weight loss thing would *work*, permanently that is, would be if I could find something that I could stick with LONGTERM, forever in fact, because not only do I want to lose the weight, but I want to keep it off - forever. It simply won't *work* if you dont' stick with it. Consistiency, consistiency, consistiency. STICKING with it is of course the key. Lifestyle change. Creating a new normal. No going back to the old ways. Permanent, sustainable lifetime changes.

So of course finding something that I could stick and was willing to stick with was essential.

Things I needed/still need to be on my plan:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Just not for me. I despise that feeling and need to AVOID it all costs. It would only set me up for failure.
- I need LOTS of food, volume that is.
- I love food, always will and need to get enjoyment from it. So eating delicious, very tasty, satisfying foods was a MUST.
- I am terrible with portion control. I have no boundaries. My intuitive eating button is totally broken or just missing completely. So I need to fake it. I need something that forces me to set limits.
- I want not only to be thin at this point, I want to be healthy. Strong bones & muscles, good vision, healthy hair and nails, low cholesterol, normal sugar levels, high vitamin count, lower my risk of cancers.

So therefore, let's see if I can do this with one breath - I eat frequently, every 2 hours or so, choosing low calorie/high volume items (veggies), lots of protein and fiber (to keep me full longer), I count calories (forced portion control/accountability), I eat foods with high nutritional values, I've found foods that I LOVE, not *diet* foods per se, food that any one and every one can eat.

I also set myself up for success. By ridding my home of the junk (very crucial in the beginning, and still is). I got rid of the sugar, the rice, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... Sure I love the stuff, but I have no control with it. I figured I can not have it both ways. I simply can not have those foods in my life (very strict with it especially in the beginning, cold turkey in fact) and be that healthy, fit person I so longed to be. I have no control over them and realized I was just better off without them.

I keep my home fully stocked with tons and tons of veggies. I discovered fabulous ways to prepare them and now enjoy them more then the other garbage I was eating prior. Amazing how ones tastes change when you stop feeding it junk. Fruits and low fat proteins are my other main foods. I cook fabulous meals that my whole family enjoys. So finding yummy recipes that you like is essential. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good.

I also prepare ahead, as it is the ONLY way to succeed, IMO. Eating healthy does not happen by accident. Therefore it MUST, MUST be planned out in advance. I know what I'm having for my meals and snacks days in advance. I pack food with me, taking it with me wherever I go, leaving nothing to chance. It's just THAT important.

I drink lots of water. It's something to do with my mouth; a delaying tactic and it keeps my tummy full.

And of course, there is the calorie counting. Would be nowhere without it. Nowhere. Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer. Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check. Period.

Exercise has now become part of my life and is a big part of "my plan". I started out slowly and built up. Cardio & strength training. I make sure there is some kind of daily movement going on, 7 days a week.

Probably the biggest part of my plan though, was making a commitment. Deciding once and for all that I was going to "do this". I told myself enough is enough. I realized, once and for all that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was something that I did indeed have total and complete control over. No reason on earth for me to waste another second of my life being miserable, worrying about my health and not living up to my full potential. Not being the very best ME that I could be. So I made a commitment to good eating and good health.

And that, in a nutshell (albeit, a VERY large one) is *my plan*.

I do want to add though, that yes it's about finding a plan you can stick with, but you also have to be WILLING to stick to it. Or stick to SOMETHING at some point, you just can't keep on going on and saying this doesn't work, this doesn't work either and neither does this. There has to come a time when you say enough is enough already and BE WILLING to MAKE something work. Does that make sense?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-02-2009 at 11:59 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Personally, I need a LOT of structure. I love counting calories. On the rare occasion that I am unable to record for the day, I eat tons of unhealthy stuff (as opposed to eating reasonable amounts of healthy foods).
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #10  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Smile I don't count calories.

I mean, I have a "General Idea" about how many calories are in foods due to all my research over the years, and I think that it's a good idea to have some knowledge, but the way I eat, there is no need to really count calories. Basically, I eat for Heart Health, which I talked to my doc and read up on Mayo Clinic.com. I have certain health issues that I need to take care of and reverse.
However, If you are eating good healthy foods, and taking small bites, and chewing your food thoroughly (Until Masticated), and stop eating when you are satisfied and don't drink too much with your meal, maybe a half cup of water with fresh squeezed lemon, there is no real reason to have to count calories.
Plus I make sure to be active daily. I also make sure to get enough sleep. I don't think you need a certain "plan" but discover what you really want to do. I incorporate my favorites into what I eat, so no food is off limits, even though I am eating for heart health, I still tell myself I could have a greeeezzzzy ole hamburger if I really want it. I never do really want it, but I could have it if I wanted to. That way I don't feel deprived. In the long run, it is about taking care of our bodies, but also enjoying life is what's most important.
I hope this helps.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanne View Post

However, If you are eating good healthy foods, and taking small bites, and chewing your food thoroughly (Until Masticated), and stop eating when you are satisfied and don't drink too much with your meal, maybe a half cup of water with fresh squeezed lemon, there is no real reason to have to count calories.

That is a huge IF you put out there.

You see for many of us, and yes we're all different, but for most folks that have hit the 250 lbs mark +, stopping when satisfied doesn't work. I had no satiation point. I just kept on eating and eating and eating. That's where the tracking/monitoring/counting of calories came into play. THAT'S what told me to STOP. If I had waited till I was satisfied I'd probably be over the 300 lb mark by now - or dead. I needed the built in accountability and forced portion control and set limits that counting provides.

We all have to find what works for us.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

What Ryanne is describing is intuitive eating. Unfortunately, intuitive eating doesn't work well for me. My internal sensors are off and I've never felt satisfaction to the point where I know that it's time to quit eating. I can..and have many times...overeaten on my healthy whole foods. For many of us, structure and planning along with some mental changes are the key. I've recently regained some weight. My problem? I stopped planning and reverted back to my old way of thinking about food.

I began my journey on Southbeach. This healthy way of eating helped me to reverse my insulin resistance. Now, I like to combine the Southbeach way of eating with calorie counting. Throw some walking and journaling into the mix and I seem to have my perfect combination.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-02-2009 at 12:44 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #13  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
That is a huge IF you put out there.

You see for many of us, and yes we're all different, but for most folks that have hit the 250 lbs mark +, stopping when satisfied doesn't work. I had no satiation point. I just kept on eating and eating and eating. That's where the tracking/monitoring/counting of calories came into play. THAT'S what told me to STOP. If I had waited till I was satisfied I'd probably be over the 300 lb mark by now - or dead. I needed the built in accountability and forced portion control and set limits that counting provides.

We all have to find what works for us.
You are absolutely right in what you are saying, if someone doesn't have control, and this is a "relearned" behavior...Most babies and children have this ability, and when I first started to learn to eat when hungry and stop when satisfied and not "full", it took me a couple of days to even "get hungry". But now it is second nature. I guess that a person needs to find what works for them by trial and error...and just learn what works. That is what we have to do, is learn what works for "ME" and not what is for someone else. This is NOT a" one size fits all".
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #14  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks for all the responses. I have been counting calories this is my fourth day. So far I have been doing good .Though I have noticed that my carbs out weighs my protein and I want to change that. I jest have to learn about portion control and How much is good and what not good for you. Boy am I in need of help. I dont want to fail I want to continue doing good. I like the fact that I can eat things and as long as I log the calories I will be fine. It is jest determing the good carbs / bad carbs and and so on.

I did the zone a couple of years ago and I did good lost 50 pounds . I dont like the fact that they dont have alot of choices on food. expecially ones I eat. I went on the web site and I had to add my weight and hip and Belly size to tell me recommended amounts and the computer came back exceedes our limit check numbers again. Its not like I can hold my breath and make my Belly and hips smaller so gave up on that.

6 years ago I did 6 week Body makeover and I wasted 125.00$ on that the plan was soo limited I felt hungry alot and didnt like that. To me you should not feel like you are starving on a plan.

So this time I want to do it on my own counting calories and making the right food choices. I know it is gonna be food I like and I will be more able to stay with it. Jest getting all the fine deatils worked out.

Any Help will be appreciated .

Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #15  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

I like calorie counting and have found it works well for me. I tried Weight Watcher for a month or two and just found I was doing double work because I didn't trust their point system and entered everything into The Daily Plate anyway.

For me, it's free and it's easy (to understand if not easy to follow 100% of the time). I can't give up carbs, or meat (esp red meat) or chocolate completed, but counting calories forces me to control portions on some of these less desired items and bump up my intake of veggies and fruit.

I agree with everyone else though who's said find something you can stick with. I know people who have gotten to their goal weight on WWs but I never would have.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote