Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default I need some Motivation/ Will Power

Hello everyone I have been on the roller coaster for a while now and I am getting dizzy and want to get off. But my main problem is getting motivated to get back into exercising and making those better food choices. I am currently boarderline on my sugar level and everything that comes with it. I have lost all faith in my self and I need some help to get myself back in the line of things. Anyone willing to help.

Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #2  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I think what I would do is just set it up so good choices are possible/probably/inevitable.

Go through your cupboards and get rid of anything that tempts you, anything you feel you can't control, anything that doesn't fit into your idea of a "good food choice".

Go to the grocery store WITH A LIST of things you need to fill in the gaps: fruit, veggies, maybe some whole grain breads/cereals, lean proteins, the foods that you can turn to when you need healthy choices.

Go through your clothes and find all your gym clothes. Make sure they fit, they're clean, and they're readily accessible. If you belong to a gym, pack a bag of gym clothes and put it in the car so that you can just GO without worrying about it.

Find some pictures of yourself for motivation. Or check out magazines. Put them someplace where you will see them, and let them remind you of where you've been and where you're going.

Sit down and write out some goals. Goals are very powerful when they're actually written down. Don't just hold them in your head--write them down! Put them with the pictures, where you can see them and review them.

And then...just keep taking the next step. You can do this!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #3  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Me too!

Hi Bonnie,

Just decide to get off. I am trying to get off the ride too!

If you try to do it most of the time, you will be better off. At least that is what Iam trying to do!

Good luck!

dmc
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Hello everyone I have been on the roller coaster for a while now and I am getting dizzy and want to get off. But my main problem is getting motivated to get back into exercising and making those better food choices. I am currently boarderline on my sugar level and everything that comes with it. I have lost all faith in my self and I need some help to get myself back in the line of things. Anyone willing to help Bonnie
Well you say here that your are borderline on your sugar levels and everything that comes with it - sounds to me like that would/could be your motivation right there! Your very life is on the line. Diabetes is a very serious disease with some pretty rough ramifications if not dealt with. The good thing is, that it's most likely completely preventable/controllable/reversible with the proper diet.

Losing weight and lots of it IS a doable thing for every one and any one. Yourself included. Doesn't matter how many previous attempts you've had. The only time you need to be "successful" is the last time - THIS time. KNOW that you can do this. You absolutely can. You ARE capable of this. You've got the ability to do so. Being fat is a choice. Being fit and slender is a choice. You just have to choose it. So yes, HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF. Rest assured that you CAN do this. Because you CAN.

People ask me all the time how I lost so much weight when they can't manage to lose 10 lbs, I tell them the simple truth - I lost the weight because I DECIDED to. It's that simple. I got sick and tired of being fat and all the horrible repercussions that come along with it. And that was that - I DECIDED to do this. I was DETERMINED to do this. DECIDE to do something and it SHALL be done. I made a vow, a pledge - a COMMITMENT to do this and that was that. No turning back. No stopping. No quitting. It was time to become mature, responsible, sensible, rational and reasonable with my food intake. My desire to be thin outweighed, outnumbered and overtook the desire for the high quantity/high calorie foods. I was WILLING to do whatever it took to get the job done. Because I no longer wanted to be fat. I wanted to be fit. And fabulous. And raise my quality of life and hopefully the length of it too.

I hope you too will decide to do this. Because losing weight is the best decision I've ever made, bar none and I know it will be for you too. I urge you to make that decision, make that commitment and then do what's necessary to get the job done. Don't dread this new and healthy lifestyle. Get into it. Get excited about the wonderful transformation you're about to undertake. Get excited, get going, make a plan, find/seek/discover ways to make this work and then MAKE it work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #5  
Very Determined Mom

S/C/G: 275/259/150

Height: 5'8"

right there with you....I am trying to get off the coaster but hoping to not to get shoved back on. Good luck!
Cleobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #6  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Make a list of everything that could happen if you don't get off that roller coaster. Make a list of what could happen if you do.
Which list looks better to you?
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Chickies this week advised me to try to go for 3 good days in a row, starting with just one. It really did help to concentrate the mind, it felt that 1 day leading to 3 days was doable. Also today (Day 4) I feel like I'm out into clear water again. I'm hoping that'll continue but if it slips again, I'll go back to the 3 day programme, it seems to help.

Good luck.

ps are you giving yourself too many decisions at once? I'm still mostly concentrating on food choices, not so much on the exercise. Sometimes we need to take things a bit at a time.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #8  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile Make some mini goals:

I have lots of mini goals and basically yes I have mini weight goals: like 5 lb. increments, but more importantly, have some mini daily goals. Example: Eat breakfast daily, eat 3 meals and two snacks today, eat at least 4 servings of vegies today, eat at least 3 servings of fruit today, drink at least one cup of green tea today, drink at least a half gallon of water today, more if possible. Drink one glass of fat free organic milk today, Eat one serving of fat free organic yogurt today, do some form of activity, even if it's just cleaning the house or doing laundry, Do something nice for someone today, even if I don't get a thank you, Tell my family I love them and give them each a hug and kiss today, etc... these are mine, but you can make your own, that way you are doing something good for your mind and body all day long. When you eat good healthy foods, you are doing something great for your body, when you eat dark chocolate in small quantities, you are getting a monounsaturated fat with antioxidants... I hope this helps, this is what I do.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hi, Bonnie, your kids are just adorable (I'm assuming that's who those two are in your avatar).

You've got good advice here. I know that scary feeling when the weight starts to effect your health. Sidhe's practical advice, and RRs always great tips to embrace the change, can't go wrong with that. If it takes small steps (more my way), do the small steps, if you respond better to a quick overhaul, do that. Listen to yourself and what works for you.

I'll just add never surrender, and that there's a solution to any challenge you encounter. Read the posts here, and post, when you're kicking behind and when you're struggling. It helps to keep me focused and my mind in the right place. And there's always something new to learn. And things you will be sharing to help us.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Bonnie, Hi!

We are all pulling for you. We want you to nip your health concerns in the bud. I can personally testify that blood sugar levels can dramaticlly decrease with weight loss. We can cheer you on, and hold your hand, but you have to take the first step. It's all up to you. You hold the only key. Getting healthy is SOOOOOO worth it.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #11  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

Hi Bonnie!

Congratulations on deciding to jump off the rollercoaster. I just did it myself.

I'm a list girl. Just writing things down helps me to get my head on straight. So when I need help with motivation I write lists. Healthy foods to buy, healthy foods I want to try and cook, exercises I want to try, activites I can't do now but WILL do in the future, reasons I want to lose weight, clothing I want to buy/wear, sometimes I'll write down why I failed before vs why I won't this time.

So that works for me...mayb it can work for you.
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #12  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Let me start off By Saying Thanks to all you who gave me words of encourgamnet.

sidhe what u say is right I need to clean house so to speak and I think I will pull out all my gym clothes and get my self togeather to start using them. Thanks you for the motivation.

dmc2009 and cleobaby I am offically planning to get started monday Come Join me.

Rockinrobin Exactly I have two months and have to go back to get rechecked and see how the tricor is doing for the triglycrides. I have been thinkin about my health alot expecailly in the last week since I found out my older sister had a stroke and isnt doing well on top of that she has diabetes and High blood pressure and chol and all It scares me now cause she is confined to a wheel chair cause her weight and has hurt her knees and she cant walk no more. I dont want t be like that I am gonna take your advice and get busy..

borntobefine I never thought of that but I am gonna do that soulds like a great reality check.

Rosinante and Ryanne I think I should have some small goals to start off I know once I get in the swing of things I will be great.

dragonwoman64 They r my grandchildren the pic is old I better update. Yes everyone here has given me great things to start and get back in to the grove. I cant wait I have already drug out all of my leslie sansone videos out and dusted them off. I think I am gonna drag my gym clothes out and start getting things in order for monday.

Lori Bell and c_laura Everyone one here has ben so nice and I do think I am gnna sit down and make a list of what I need to do to get prepared Like getting my gym clothes out and I already signed up with fitday looks like a great place to keep everything in order. Plus I will have my trusty note book for back up.

So I want to Say Thanks to all of you I am gonna get busy and start getting myself togeather I am gonna give myself the rest of today and Tomorrow to organized everything to get me motivated and have a happy start. I will let everyone know how monday goes.

Thanks Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Why wait til Monday? If you're ready now, start now, today, right this minute. You can totally do this. I weighed 350-something one year ago today. You can absolutely do this!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh, good. I'm EXCITED FOR YOU.

You keep mentioning your gym stuff and videos. How about the food???? You know that's probably 80% of the equation, right? Whatcha got in mind for that?

Make sure to rid your home of the junk. ADD in healthy, healthy tasty nutritious foods. Eating healthy won't happen on it's own. Plan it. Plan it. Plan it. AHEAD of time. IN ADVANCE. KNOW what you'll be eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner and each and every snack. Seek out/discover/create/find delicious healthy meals and snacks to eat. This way staying on plan will be a pleasure instead of something to dread.

Let us know how it goes! I look forward to hearing of your progress. Remember, you don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. CHANGE your life. Seize the opportunity. Do it now. Before disaster G-d forbid strikes. Give yourself the very best chance at the very best life. I know for sure you won't regret it for a single second.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Why wait til Monday? If you're ready now, start now, today, right this minute. You can totally do this. I weighed 350-something one year ago today. You can absolutely do this!
Yep...I was thinking the exact same thing!

Off Topic, and not directed to the OP, but to start dates in general: I wonder statistic wise how many successful weight loss plans actually started on Monday? (or New Years, or the 1st of the month, or Birthday?). I remember at least a 1/2 dozen friends where holding off to start their "diets" or to stop smoking last year on August 8th. "Oh, it will always be easy to remember", they would say, (08-08-08). NONE of them followed through. I guess they can all plan for 09-09-09, it's coming up quickly.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote