Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I know I'm not the only one lately but...

But I'm about to throw my scale into the street and pray a passing semi smashes it to isty bitsy pieces!!
Last week was a "rough" week for me. I did my exercise, got in the minimum, bare minimum and had a few days where my calories were over my goal (not by a ton, but maybe 200 and like I said only a few of the days). None-the-less I lost 3lbs lost week which put me at 265.6. I was pretty astonished. Now wait cause here's where the frustration comes in...
This week, as of Monday, I've been rocking my weight loss plan. I'm working it out, 5 days so far this week, 30min one day, 40 or more the rest, watching my calories, not going over...and now, now that I'm doing so awesome today my scale comes back with 267. I seriously almost started cussing at it. I did bang it around with my foot and re-situated it to re-weigh...same story 267. It seems backwards to me. Its like the worst sort of discouragment...do it wrong, loss weight, do it right, don't. I'm sticking with it anyways, which for me is HUGE. Before, something like this would've backslid me to the point of no return. Now, I'm just angry at the weight loss fates and am damned and determined to prove them wrong...I WILL LOSE!!
TY...just needed to vent.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Maybe your body needs a few extra calories...in order to feel comfortable losing.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Maybe you're not eating enough calories. With the reduced amount of exercise and additional calories you were eating, that could be your optimum calorie amount for weight loss right now.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. That's why it's so important to look at your progress over a month or two. If you see a downward trend then you are doing great. You are probably just retaining water, that happens a lot. So many things can cause a bump up on the scale other than actual fat gain. Take what the scale says with a grain of salt. Stick to your program, it will pay off.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Hit it with a hammer. If nothing else it will make you feel better
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #6  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

well, maybe the extra exercise made you gain water weight?

when you exercise, esp if it's new/more your muscles will store glycogen and I read that 1 lb of glycogen is packed in 3-4 lbs of water at times.

I weighed today out of curiosity cuz I have ROCKED my plan this week and last, and I GAINED 4 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, also, I have been exercising 2+ hours a day for 6 days a week, so I"m SURE my muscles are retaining massive amounts of water, I mean, I know I haven't eaten anywhere close to 15,500 or whatever calories it would be to make me gain 4 ridiculous lbs of fat!

So, for the FIRST TIME, I'm not sweating it. and it feels pretty good. I'm drinking TONS of water today trying to flush it out.
entioned.

Last edited by lottie63; 08-29-2009 at 10:59 AM.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #7  

Yeah, my calories vary depending on the program I use. Sparkpeople has me maxed at 1800 where freedietplan has me at almost 2200 so I've been going with the lower on the idea that lower means greater deficit and therefor greater loss... maybe that was wrong to assume.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I've been going with the lower on the idea that lower means greater deficit and therefor greater loss... maybe that was wrong to assume.
Oh, I don't think it was wrong to assume that - at all. Others may disagree with me, but I think 2200 calories is quite a bit on the high side. Quite a bit. If you're not losing with 1800, *chances* are you won't lose with 2200. Those calculators are only guesstimates. They're highly inaccurate, especially when they start factoring in activity levels. I would DEFINITELY stick to that 1800. I'd stick with it though for a good solid 2 weeks. Really, really, REALLY stick to it. Then you will see what happens at the end of that time period and then you can re-assess from there. It's all trial and error and no one or nothing can tell you what will produce a loss for you, as we are all individuals.

On a side note, it's not your scale that's doing anything - it's all your BODY. The scale is simply a tool that we use to tell us what we, ummm weigh. What our BODIES weigh. Everyone gets upset with the scale when the scale is just an innocent piece of equipment. It's our bodies. Not that I want you to get angry with your body and throw it somewhere or hit it with a hammer, just to recognize that the scale, well it's not it's "fault".

Our bodies are not machines. There's a lot going on in a body. There's blood, organs, tissues, bones, joints, water, muscles, fat - and yes that's going to change/fluctuate from day to day.

Stick with your program. Give your body a chance to adjust to the changes. You're creating a calorie deficit, so the weight WILL come off - just not always in a straight line. You've got to learn, I know it's not always easy, but you've got to learn to be patient and not let that scale upset you. This is your body we're talking about here. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Take a peek at the scale in the morning. And move on. Learn to recognize what's normal for your body.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #9  
unabashed

oh my. the 4 lbs I gained yesterday are gone. I drank 128 oz of water!!!! YAY! I'm sure you will lose soon too!

and agreed, I'd stick with 1800.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #10  

Thanks Lottie, that is reassuring, and I am definitly sticking with 1800, maybe less, I'm going to look at what my calorie intake was 2 weeks ago cause I think it was 1800 than; because it might just be time to cut it down by 200 and see.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #11  
unabashed

yeah that's what I did. 1700 wasnt' working so I did 1500 and now it's working out.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #12  

Awesome...I'm going to try that then....today was last day of this week anyways. I'll start with 1600 tomorrow and keep the workouts. You're probably right about the muscle's retaining water, I started doing the Biggest Loser Boot Camp which is circuit (cardio weight training) so I'm working my muscles a lot more...bonus it burns more calories!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #13  

How's your writing going BTW?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #14  
unabashed

I got about 23 pages written and then stopped to wait for the girl editing me to get around to editing the first of what I sent her, I'm waiting on that to come back now.

thanks for asking!

also, drink a ton of water to get rid of that extra exercise water. Like I said I drank 128 oz. I'm gonna try and make that a 'usual' because I almost always feel bloated. I just think at my size I require more water than most!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #15  

Good for you! How exciting!
Defiitly down the water today then. I thought I had been but maybe because I don't generally drink a lot of water it just felt like a lot to me, LOL.
TOM starts next week too. I've never had bloating this badly the week before but between that, the exercise and calories flucuating I shouldn't be suprised.