Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 11:17 PM   #1  

Default 10 LBs at a Time: #162 Thanksgiving is Coming!

Thought I would start a new thread. 4 Pages is an awful lot!

I was having such a great morning. I was talking with my Dad on the phone about a surprise 70th bday party for my Mom, when she got on the phone and told me that she didn't sleep last night because when she saw me yesterday it looked like I gained alot of weight (fyi - i am still holding at same weight). She went on and on and on! Arthritis, diabetes, etc. My husband isn't supportive, blah, blah, blah. I finally told her that she was hurting my feelings very much, and that I was hanging up, and that she should not call back if that was what she wanted to talk about. She just can't let it go.

Anyway. I had a GREAT OP day! - and, just so we are clear, it had nothing to do with the phone call. I have been OP all week, with the exception of Mexican food on Friday night. I think I started on Wednesday, so I have been doing pretty well.

I even got out my weights, and lifted for a 1/2 hour. Then I did 20 minutes on the elliptical - with the arms. I normally have the arms stationary, but I figure that if I am going to get serious, it is time to move a bit more.

Dan and I did a total house clean. In the den (where we have 9 computers - can you believe it?) we can actually see the floor...it was that bad.

On Saturday morning we leave for a week to visit the in-laws in Florida. I hope Dan's parents don't realize how much I have gained. I am a little embarrased.

Hope everyone is well and is doing well. Oh - and by the way, I am not weighing myself for a while. I am have been driving myself crazy. This IS a lifestyle, and I need to just keep at it. It will come.

Thanks for listening....

Meg
Old 11-18-2002, 03:31 AM   #2  
Theres no stopping me now

Morning from a dark and dismal morning, where is ths sunshine for those cold but crisp autumnal days. All we seem to be getting is rain, rain and more rain.

Meigg - don't worry about what anyone else thinks, it is what you think that matters. Just hold you had up high and be yourself. You are worth it, and if they don't appreciate you for you - thats tough luck for them, not you.

Eating went great yesterday until about 9pm, when Ray came in with a bottle of wine. This time round I am beating his(our) bad eating habits of going out to the chippie a couple of times a week. He still goes, but I have started making something quick for myself when he goes. But when he just turns up with a bottle of wine for sharing, fresh out of the chiller in the shop, it is harder to say no. A new challenge to be faced I think.

Am struggling along at the moment, think the healthy eating is just about winning over the rubbish I eat. But the big down fall is the exercise. I used to get up at 6am and work out - when I was very motivated. I was also losing then, so prehaps I need to reconsider lying in bed until 7 ????

Lots of things to think about today. Wine and exercise. One I love the other is a necessary evil.

Cut my finger making soup yesterday and still have the plaster on, you have no idea how difficult it is making it to type.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:42 AM   #3  

Sal, from your end a rainy day seems horrible., but for me, I hear about it and I remember the long weekend I spent in Scotland with my boyfriend in 1990 and it did nothing but rain. It seemed so romantic at the time. I am sure you must be SO sick of hearing stuff like that!

Wine is a hard thing for me also. I don't think any of us wants to count the calories in liquor!

Thanks for the words of support. I try not to let what my mom says bother me. Hopefully it will be a while before she says anything else.

I am sitting here in my lovely, CLEAN den, and all I want to do is type, but alas, I must finish getting ready for work. I hope everyone is OP - or making an effort. Talk to you soon!

Meg
Old 11-18-2002, 12:59 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies,

Come on everyone, lets keep in touch. It's so important for us to stay motivated and encourage each other! We can't do this alone, BUT WE CAN DO IT TOGETHER!

Help - I need encouragement to keep exercising. Its is so easy for me to keep putting it off. I don't like to exercise, I would rather sit in my recliner. But I know I can't - Not just because I need to lose more weight but because my arthritis will only get worse - if you don't use it you lose it - That is so true for people with arthritis! Don't you agree Dalhia, I know you have arthritis bad too. Did your dh fix your treadmill yet? I have a good one and I don't use it enough. I'am BAD BAD BAD I think I may have figured out one of the problems with my left foot. It may be a bunion. I tried a remedy I saw in a book for a bunion - putting a foam pad around the joint so the shoe doesn't constantly rub on it and irritate it when walking. The new shoes I just bought are wide enough to give me room to do this. It seems to be helping some. Maybe now I will get back to the treadmill! Not maybe - I will get back to my treadmill!

It's a good thing I am able to stay op with eating most of the time or I would never lose any weight! I think one of the things that has helped me the most is that all of my beverages don't have any calories in them, or very few! only water and decafe coffee with equal and low fat creamer.

Karie, I saw something on tv last night that reminded me of you. When you described your art, if I remember correctly, I think you said it was glass art and something about beads. Well on Modern Masters last night a man was working with glass. He first made different colored glass beads and arranged them in a pattern, then taking some clear hot glass on a rod he rolled it over the beads melting them into the glass and forming them into different shapes - dishes, windows etc. It was just beautiful! Is that anything like what you do?

Meg, I understand what you mean about a rainy day. I have always loved a rainy day, or a real snowy day if I don't have to go out. If I am free to just take the day off, be really quiet and curl up with a good book. Of course your idea sounded good too!

Hi, Sal, Pam, Floridachick, Terry, and anyone else I've missed. Goodluck all for an op day! Goodluck to all of us for an op day

Now I am going to get on my treadmill!! I am, I promise

Last edited by Grandma G; 11-18-2002 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:33 PM   #5  
Ginny

Hello ladies,

The sun was shining this morning when I was out, now it is going behind the clouds, they are talking maybe SNOW (ugh) hope not.
I have re-affirmed my committment as of yesterday.. and as of now I am doing good. Have to go babysit this afternoon so supper will be late, one good thing about that is no time for snacking between supper and bedtime. On Wed. DH has his surgery, have to keep busy so I don't succumb to snacking with him while he is laid up...but with the holidays and company coming, I should have plenty to do...

Meigg, I feel for you lady. I really do.. My mom used to do the same thing to me.. when I was young and thin, she kept telling me I needed to put some weight on so I'd look better, then when I gained weight, she kept telling me I was fat. Then when I lost 40 pounds and started looking thinner, she never made a comment, so one day I told her how much I lost and why didn't she say anything, she told me she hadn't noticed. Well, she is gone now, and I miss her even if she hadn't noticed..

I know it's hard to ignore such things, but for your own sake you have to. Just do what you are doing, and do it for YOU.. for you are the one who matters. And all of us here care for you no matter what.. and we are here to encourage and support each other... I am counting on that

Grandma G., yes I know what you mean when you say use it or lose it.. I really find when I keep moving I do feel better. The longer I sit the harder it is to get moving again. And no my DH has not fixed the treadmill yet, he has till tomorrow, he promised to do it tonight. at least get the belt off so he can try to find one tomorrow. I told him I must have it... it is a necessity for me.. walking will help me de-stress as well as give me some exercise and time to myself in these next couple months with caring for him and my ds after their surgeries.

Well, hello to everyone else. I hope you are all having *op* days.

So till next time. and take care.

Dahlia
Old 11-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #6  
Gym'll fix it!!

Afternoon Ladies...Grandma G..i have vowed to get back to my treadmill too and i WILL..this afternoon
Meg..how insensitive of your mother to keep going on but..deep down..she only has your best interests at heart
Carol..hubbies can make it difficult..can't they? mine is around all the time at the moment and he eats like a horse..i have to make him a full English breakfast every morning so my normally once a week (sunday) breakfast is fast becoming my everyday breakfast ,
i've told him that i'm trying to cut back and he just say's "well.. don't have any then" he has know idea how hard it is to make someone a huge breakfast and not have any yourself..especially when it smells so good but i'll win in the end i don't know why but i have a craving for tomato soup think i'll have a bowl after i've treadmilled
Old 11-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #7  

Can't beat bacon in the morning cathy - don't envy you haven't to live the delicious smell every morning
Old 11-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #8  

We are doing great ladies - alot of action on the board today!

Cat - is there anyway you could stop making your hubby breakfast every morning? Part of the weight gain for me was my husband cooking for me - I ate the same portion as him, and started gaining. Now we each fend for ourselves. I make my own breakfast, he fends for himself at work. I make my own dinner, and he makes his own or doesn't eat. It actually works great - we rarely eat the same meal, and when we do, it is for my lifestyle, not his.

Dahlia - hope your husband's surgert goes well!

Grandma G - I know times are tight right now, but can you go to a foot doctor? Sounds like you are on the right track about the bunion. I know how hard it is to exercise - but remember, anything is good. Why don't you try getting on it and not going as fast, or doing it for half the time. Getting on the machine is the hardest part!

So far so good today. Had about 10 M&Ms, but I am not worried. Going home for dinner soon...

Talk to you soon!
Meg
Old 11-19-2002, 09:54 AM   #9  

Weighed in this morning, lost the weight I gained on Saturday plus another pound. Was very surprised, as I had last weighed in on Saturday, I wasn't expecting to see a drop.

Am a happy bunny again
Old 11-19-2002, 10:14 AM   #10  

Remember when we used to 'reward' ourselves for losing 10 pounds - well I still do it. Have lost the first 10lbs again, and the 'reward' is a bottle of babadas bubble bath and a long soak in the tub, with a good book and lots of time for me and me only.

Next 'reward' is a good body lotion - still a long way away yet that one. Will enjoy the first one first.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:27 AM   #11  

Sal - GREAT news on the loss - and a wonderful choice of reward! NOT FOOD BASED! That is the key. I am going toward that great big shopping spree - let's hope I get there.

They say that after the first week in the Zone your clothes feel different. Dress pants don't feel as tight today, but could be my imagination. But - I think I will just go with it!

Talk to you later!
Meg
Old 11-19-2002, 02:16 PM   #12  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hey Carol...Congrats on the loss what a great reward i forgot about the treats Meg..there is no way i can get out of cooking for hubby..his mother waited on him hand and foot and i have to do the same..not that i mind..he's the worker and i'm the homemaker i'll figure something out...i finally hit the treadmill yesterday..just 20 minutes but a start going to do the same today
Old 11-19-2002, 03:25 PM   #13  
Ginny

Hi ladies,

Good to see more action on our board.

Carol, giving yourself a reward after a loss is a good idea.. think I'll try that.. think of something I really want and tell myself I can't have it till I lose my 10 #'s...now what do I want that bad...

Grandma G.. my DH did it, he fixed my treadmill, it not only runs smoothly now, I can walk faster.. had to go try it out already. Only walked 10 minutes today but will add time each day...felt good to get back on it...couldnt' get the speed/miles to show up, but as long as I can walk,, I'll go by time,, will work fine. Maybe if I play around with the controls I'll get it working again...

Had a wee bit of snow on the ground this morning.. but the sun took care of it real quick. I suppose it won't be long though and we'll get some to stay.. not that I want that.. I could go all winter without any, and I'd be just as happy as a lark...

Two of my boys got a deer this year. My oldest is out there right now cutting them up.. the younger one had to go back to college. The oldest and youngest got one..my ds in Calif. couldnt' come home for hunting this year, so he is living the hunt thru his brothers this year.. driving us nuts waiting for the pictures.. good thing I have a scanner.

Well, just checking in... hope you're all having a super day, and being *op*.. so far I am doing ok..I baked 12 dozen cookies this morning, and only nibbled on one... so that is doing good in my book.. after all as one of you said earllier this is a way of lliving, not denying...all I have to bake yet is the sugar cookies which I roll out and cut into shapes and decorate.. I'll do those later, and I have to make some heath bars yet... am shipping out a box of gifts and treats to my dil who is still in Okinawa.. she should be going home in Jan. some time.. she's been gone since July...

I am really proud of how my son is doing with his 2 yr. old son. He is taking care of him all on his own, and doing a great job.

Ok. well, I best get moving here.. will check in tomorrow evening when we return from the hospital.

Dahlia
Old 11-20-2002, 04:42 PM   #14  

Is very quiet around here today. I haven't done anything special, took the boys swimming, didn't go in myself. Now that they both have lessons one after the other. Messing around with me for 30 minutes + their lesson time is too much for them, mainly Sean who is in the later lesson.

Am saving points to go out for a curry on Friday, but am struggling to eat my 20 points today, thank goodness I don't have to eat the full 24 today !!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:30 PM   #15  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Ladies i've decided that i my treadmill..now..i just need to keep telling myself that when i can't get motivated to get on it i'm going to do a stint when i've finished posting here and watch "bad girls" its a repeat as usual but i've not seen all of them so thats o.k. Eating has been good so far..just see if i can keep it up this evening..my 'danger' time...making good use of the popcorn maker i was feeling peckish at 11.30am so i had a bowl to take the edge off and now i'm fine
Closed Thread