Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #1  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Default Which Tom Venuto book do you suggest?

I'm sure most of you (if not all) have read Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle book by Tom Venuto. I'm thinking of getting this book. But Amazon does not carry it and neither does B&N. It seems I might have to get it via his site. I was hoping to get an actual book instead of an ebook.

Also, I noticed his new books is out - The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscle, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight.

Have any of you read both books? Which one would you suggest reading first? Or should I read both?

Thanks

Last edited by pintobean; 08-26-2009 at 10:15 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm just reading The Body Fat solution right now. The BFFM books is an e-book only.

Have you checked your library? They might have The Body Fat Solution. From what I've read so far, he has tried to make it more approachable. Although BFFM is good, I think it can be intimidating to some.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #3  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Thanks Nelie
I did check the library and they don't carry it as of yet. I did make a suggestion to them for purchasing it. So, lets see if they get it or not.

Do let me know once you finish it how you liked it. I'm glad to hear so far it is approachable.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I have read both. BFFM was my turning point, so it holds a special place in my heart. BUT, The Body Fat Solution is the one I would go with. It has the same info, plus more, and is easier to understand the exercise/weight lifting part - not as intense on that as in BFFM. It's very much geared toward all aspects of weight loss - the nutrition/exercise is only part of the picture. He really has a way of getting you to see what is really going on with you in both.. but like you, I wanted a hard copy of something. I consider the actual book a more polished & updated version of BFFM.

It is here on Amazon if you can't find it where you are.. $17 hardcover & eligible for the free shipping over $25:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fat-Solut...1304161&sr=1-1
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Has anyone seen the new "The Fat Burn Files?"

He is offering the BFFM package for $39.95, and a "deluxe" package that adds "The Fat Burn Files" for a total price of $59.95, which is supposed to be a great limited time deal because he will offer the "The Fat Burn Files" separately for $39.95 allit seems like a crazy price to me. I was wondering if its content was really worth the extra cost or if it's mostly duplicate of what is in BFFM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #6  
Meg

BFFM is great, but I second Hot Wings' recommendation of The Body Fat Solution. It is the single best weight loss book I've ever read.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #7  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Has anyone seen the new "The Fat Burn Files?"

He is offering the BFFM package for $39.95, and a "deluxe" package that adds "The Fat Burn Files" for a total price of $59.95, which is supposed to be a great limited time deal because he will offer the "The Fat Burn Files" separately for $39.95 allit seems like a crazy price to me. I was wondering if its content was really worth the extra cost or if it's mostly duplicate of what is in BFFM.
I have not read "The Fat Burn Files", but honestly I really feel like everything you need to know is in The Body Fat Solution - and for a lot cheaper - unless maybe you are going for bodybuilding. As Meg put it.. it is the single most complete and best weight loss book I've ever read (and I've read a lot over the years!).

Here are the contents of "The Fat Burn Files":

Quote:
THE FAT BURN FILES TABLE OF CONTENTS
# Chapter 1: Mission Abdominals – Training and nutrition secrets to burn fat and chisel your six pack abs… plus the telltale warning signs that instantly expose all the diet and weight loss frauds (pgs 8 – 50 – note: A few “insiders” have already seen this interview, and anyone who has already read “mission abdominals” is going to go bananas over the other 9 interviews!)

# Chapter 2: Superstar fat loss tips – Diet, cardio and weight training secrets to get you leaner, faster… learn fat loss tips, fat loss mistakes and Tom’s fat loss advice for getting an overweight actor ready to be a Hollywood action hero (pgs 41 - 58)

# Chapter 3: Extreme and controversial fat loss techniques – Uncover the pros and cons of aggressive, advanced fat loss tactics and hear critiques of current fat loss trends (pgs 60-70)

# Chapter 4: Succeeding in fitness, in business and in life – An exciting new viewpoint on motivation that could hurl you towards total success – more career success, more fitness success, more life success (pgs 72-94)

# Chapter 5: The fat loss guru’s guidelines – Fat loss simplified for daily life… forget the confusing scientific stuff, this is what you actually have to do every day in the real world to get lean (pgs 96-115)

# Chapter 6: All natural bodybuilding and fat loss secrets – how to get a movie star, fitness model or bodybuilder physique without drugs, pills or plastic surgery (pgs 118-144)

# Chapter 7: The bodybuilder’s method to maximum muscle and minimum fat – What every man and woman can learn from bodybuilders about losing weight and gaining muscle (pgs 146-166)

# Chapter 8: Overcoming fat loss and muscle building challenges – How to triumph over adversity and achieve your biggest fitness goals, this year, no matter what! (pgs 168-192)

# Chapter 9: Inside the life and mind of a natural bodybuilder – Street-smart diet, training, lifestyle and mental toughness strategies - a fascinating look at how an elite-level body is really developed (pgs 194- 222)

# Chapter 10: A Dissertation In Muscle Mass Construction – a PhD exercise physiologist picks Tom’s brain for his best nutrition and training strategies to pack on the lean muscle (pgs 224 – 249)
Maybe when I get to my goal, I can use this for toning/working specific areas? Interesting... but I don't think it is for me at this point. It looks like it is more for bodybuilding?

Oh .. and here is a link for "The Fat Burn Files" if anyone is interested in checking it out:

http://www.tomvenuto.com/reviews/the...esreview.shtml

Last edited by HotWings; 08-26-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added link
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I have not read "The Fat Burn Files", but honestly I really feel like everything you need to know is in The Body Fat Solution - and for a lot cheaper - unless maybe you are going for bodybuilding. As Meg put it.. it is the single most complete and best weight loss book I've ever read (and I've read a lot over the years!).
Thanks.

Some of the reviews I read for The Body Fat Solution thought it was a dumbed down version of BFFM and thought it wasn't as good and detailed as BFFM.

I'm also inclined towards an e-book right now, as I am trying to pare down my stuff. But me trying to pare down on books is probably a lost cause. But argh, I don't have any more room.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-26-2009 at 03:03 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #9  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I can't give a comparison or review, but I just bought Body Fat Solution at Books-a-Million for $7.95.
If you have a store close to you , you might want to check there. It was in the section of bargain/marked down books.
I also got The Beck Diet Solution for $4.95 (I'm reading it first).

Last edited by ddc; 08-27-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #10  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Thank you so much girls
My decision is made...I'll get the body fat solution book. And, I do have Books-a-Million close enough to me. I'll check it there first. Thanks again

Last edited by pintobean; 08-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #11  
Meg

Beck is another outstanding book. Highly recommended! If I had to pick out the five best diet and fitness books I've ever read, both Beck and the Body Fat Solution would be on the list.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #12  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
I can't give a comparison or review, but I just bought Body Fat Solution at Books-a-Million for $7.95...
Thank you for this tip . I went to Books-a-Million on the weekend and bought Body Fat Solution for $7.95. List price is still $25. I also bought Beck Diet Solution for $4.95. For any future buyers, if you have Books-a-Million in your area then ask an associate for the bargain books aisle. I just started reading BFS.

Thanks everyone for the input.