Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default The next step

I have reached a place in this journey where I think that I need to step up a bit, go to the next level. Food-wise, I am working on cooking. I am going to do a little experimentation, try recipes, etc.... I will expand my little box of foods that I eat.

I think that it is time to ramp up my exercise. So far my primary exercise is walking and throwing in some work with resistance bands. I looked at a couple of gyms but felt pretty intimidated, both by the price and the clientele. I felt like I would stick out like a sore thumb.

Last night after using the walking track at our county's Wellness Center I picked up their brochure. I am surprised that I have not thought of this before. For $30 I can get a pass good for 10 exercise classes or for $50 I could get 20 classes. The pass is good for a year. They have Zumba, aerobics, step aerobics, pilates, jazzercise, cycling, even belly dancing. It is an assortment that I could try to see what I like, without having a large commitment and investment.

They also have a gym area. It is not as big as the gyms I have visited but have several types of machines and free weights. This is totally foreign territory for me and I could not even tell you what the machines are. Membership for the gym area is $175/year and I have to pay for a full year.

There is a personal trainer that is not a staff member but an independent consultant that they recommend. He charges $40/hour unless you sign up for 5 or more sessions. Then the price goes down to $30.

I saw more diversity in the people here, all ages, shapes, sizes, and colors. They have a large senior citizen program. I will qualify for that program in a year when I turn 55. (Kind of depressing but kind of exciting) Then the membership will go down to $120/year and include 20 classes and a session with the personal trainer once a month.

Since they have such a large senior citizen program, I think they must be accustom to dealing with people with bad knees, bad backs, etc. Does that make sense? I am not as afraid that the trainer will push me to do something that my body can not handle.

One of my big pet peeves is getting passed by little old ladies when I am walking. I mean they look like they are 80 to 100 years old and they pass me on the walking track and at the mall. I want to be one of those little old ladies!!

How does this place sound to ya'll? I know some of you belong to gyms. Does this sound like a good deal? Has going to a gym really helped you?

Maybe I should try the classes and wait on the gym and personal trainer... Hummmmmm Belly dancing could be interesting.

Last edited by time2lose; 08-26-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: belly dancing!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I belong to my local YMCA and I'm SO glad I do. There are lots of people of all shapes and sizes there, and when I first walked in the door, I noticed that I lot of the regulars made a special effort to smile and say hello.

I was very embarrassed at first, but now, I feel pretty invisible. I swim laps for now and though I live in dread of arriving at the wrong time and finding every lane filled with buff swimmers in skin tight speedos, so far, that has never actually happened. In fact, now that I'm into my third month, I occaisionally am not the slowest person there!!

Have not screwed up the courage to try the personal trainer yet, but that's on my goal list...

If you found a place with a variety of people, I think you'll soon feel right at home.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

That place sounds awesome! I wish we had places like that here! We have pretty much nothing. There is a small gym in town in an old falling down house (yes you read that right) with a few weight machines that look like they came off of the Titanic and 2 treadmills that look like if you turned them on the belt would just snap from dry rot

I would jump on a place like you described, and the price is awesome.. this run down crap hole we have here charges $32 a month!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I admire your ability to recognize that a change is needed. We've got to keep this interesting, we've got to keep on growing and expanding. And it sounds to me that that's what you're doing. Afterall, this is an incredible journey of growth and self-discovery. You will astound yourself at what you are capable of and what you can achieve. I'm sure you're already pretty astounded, being that you've come so far!

I think the gym sound FABULOUS. All those different classes and choices. Very exciting. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine.

And yes, the cooking. Be creative. Become passionate about healthy cooking and all the fabulous (on plan) foods you can create and EAT. Make it a hobby! I did.

Ooooh, I am excited for you! Let us know how it all works out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on not letting yourself get stale, I'm convinced that's a big key!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

That sounds exciting! Especially the Zumba classes. I would love to do some dance classes with the husband, but he's not into it. No partner needed for Zumba. Changing things up is a great idea!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #7  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

$175 a year! WOW!!!

My place charges $65 a month.

The gym sounds great but it'll only work if you go.
Which has been a problem of mine in the past. Actually going there. But @ 65 bucks a month, you'd better believe I go regularly.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for the input everyone. My one year anniversary is coming up and I think that is a good time to evaluate what further changes I need to make. My plan is undergoing constant change. As I change, it changes. I am going to join the gym and probably sign up for 5 sessions with the trainer.

Thanks!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Awesome!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think it sounds like fun. I am actually thinking to go around to every gym in my area and get my 2 week trial membership at each of them. There are 4 gyms total. LOL. That's two free months right there!

I think your idea of getting into your cooking is a really good one to. I have always been a foodie but now I focus on whole foods and getting the most "bang" for my calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote