Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

Default Cleaning Tips

I thought this would be a neat thing to do each share our little cleaning tips or household ideas.

I'll start, I visit my neighbor on occasion and I always noticed her house has that fresh clean, not overpowering scent from cleaners and such, I am a neat freak don't get me wrong I spend tons of money on cleaning supplies, well I asked her one day what her secret was and she told me Baking soda and vinegar, she uses it for everything. I tried it today , and let me tell you it's cost efficient only four bucks where as it would normally cost me 30 to forty , it cleaned the soap scum off the shower tile and tub, shined the chrome in the bathroom and even got the mirrors clean. My carpet smells fresh not musty from the fur babies, just sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and leave for five minuets and then sweep up. It doesn't irritate the skin or leave a harsh residue and it's very inexpensive.

Last edited by TracyB73; 08-26-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Typos of course
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #2  

the magic of vinegar is amazing! When I get a build up around the kitchen faucet area, I soak a rag with hot water and vinegar and wrap the rag around the base of the faucet, leave for 10- 15 minutes and then just wipe away all the yuck.

another easy trick that saves money and the earth is using loner socks as rags. Instead of holding on waiting for the match to show up (i used to to this for months and months)-- I wait it out a week or 2 and if the match never surfaces, it becomes a cleaning rag-- stick your hand in the sock and wipe away!
milesofsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #3  

I do that as well with socks, and I use newspaper to clean windows and mirrors.I did that today with the vinegar and rag trick it worked thanks Miles!

Last edited by TracyB73; 08-26-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

The combination of baking soda & vinegar in clogged drains works as well.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #5  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I love vinegar and baking soda. My mother cleaned with it when I was little and I've used it most of my adult life. I can't right now because I have a crazy landlady who insists we use her preferred cleaning products (and that's just the tip of the crazy-iceberg... we are moving at the end of the lease)... but I'm absolutely going back to it when we're in our new place.

Instead of buying windex, just use some vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Not a cleaning tip but I read (haven't tried it yet) that if you have a bounce dryer sheet (unused) and tie on to your belt or have it around it that it repels mosquitos.

I take dryer sheets (unused) any kind and put them in my underwear and sock drawers. It makes my things smell so nice and clean.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's insane how can a landlord tell you what products to use? Pft she better be BUYING those products for me then!

Best thing I use for hard to remove stains is BAM! That stuff is AMAZING! I had this black spot appearing in the shower where the tub meets the tiled wall, I knew it was mold and I kept cleaning it and it kept coming back... one day I poured some BAM on it and NEVER had a problem since!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvied View Post
I love vinegar and baking soda. My mother cleaned with it when I was little and I've used it most of my adult life. I can't right now because I have a crazy landlady who insists we use her preferred cleaning products (and that's just the tip of the crazy-iceberg... we are moving at the end of the lease)... but I'm absolutely going back to it when we're in our new place.
She's nuts! I think I'd use what I want, and pour a little of hers down the drain so she thinks it gets used
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #9  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

My mom taught me the vinegar trick. It's especially helpful if you have animals. I have 2 dogs & would hate to clean my floors with anything harmful. Especially since they're always eating whatever I drop on the floor

I always keep an old toothbrush by my kitchen sink to get into the little nooks & crannies around the faucet that sometimes can't be reached.

You can cut up old clothes that don't fit anymore to use them as rags. We keep them in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage. It is a little weird seeing my husband using pieces of an tube top to clean the grease off one of his tools but it's cheaper than buying them.

Also, 5 gallon buckets can be used for tomato or pepper plants. We got this tip from my Father In Law who was a huge gardener. The buckets are great to use when you don't have enough space for a garden (like in an apartment) but still would like some fresh veggies in the summer.

If you're having trouble getting the remaining candle out of a jar or holder, just stick it in the freezer for about an hour or so. Once you take it out, just use a dull knife around the edge and it usually pops right out. It helps if you put a drop of water into the bottom a holder before you put your candle in. But it'll still work if you didn't do this.

I know I have more of these, but for some reason I can't think of any more right now. I'll post an edit if something else pops up. Great idea for a thread, Tracy

Last edited by AbbySinthe; 08-26-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: i can't spell
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

The absolute easiest way to clean a microwave: Nuke a bowl for water for a few minutes and then let the steam work it's magic for a few minutes. The crud wipes right off. Best things ever since a dirty microwave grosses me out, but I still hate to clean them!
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Here's an interesting thread you may want to check out too

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ecleaning.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Deb View Post
The absolute easiest way to clean a microwave: Nuke a bowl for water for a few minutes and then let the steam work it's magic for a few minutes. The crud wipes right off. Best things ever since a dirty microwave grosses me out, but I still hate to clean them!
I will have to try that one as I can never get the crud out all the way
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #13  

Thanks for the tips guys , I hope we can keep going with this thread.