Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #1  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm facing WLS - but want to try one last time

I am a few months away from having a revision to a RNY weight loss surgery I had. I weigh 283 today. I thought I would give it one last whole hearted try. I am scared because I am 57 and facing an extreme surgery and want to try again to lose the weight without surgery. Okay, here is my plan...
What do you all think?
For Breakfast:

cup of yogurt, half cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of Fiber One, 1/4 cup soynuts
stirred altogether....been eating this for a year so it is a habit.

For Lunch:

A Lean Cuisine OR a six inch veggie patty subway sandwich with tons of veggies

For Supper:

A protein shake (Nutramet meal replacement)

Now, IF I go through with the surgery, which I have already been handed the post surgery manual, I will be restricted to eat 600 calories a day for year or until the weight is lost.

I have gotten rid of all the bad food as I honestly have no control if it is in the house...if it is here, I will eat it. I am that much of a noodle.
I can't go out to eat because it is too much temptation...I am also a sweet tooth person, so I have to just stay away from the bakery section of the grocery also. I ate too much after RNY and ruined my stomach. The next step is the Duodenal Switch...meaning you only absorb half the calories of what you eat, but you also gain a lifetime of keeping up with vitamins and labwork. I joined to YMCA to go swimming and I plan to walk everyother day. If anybody has any advice, lay it on me. I want to be able to lose this....wondering at my age if it is possible...I need to lose 133 pounds!!
Thanks for listening Pat in Kentucky
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Everyone here will have a different opinion, however, those calories look very low. I still lose weight on 2000 cals a day. In my own case, trying to lose weight on too few calories sends me looking for anything I can get my hands on. I realize after a WLS you are to eat very low, however, I would give a shot at eating in an entire new way. Breakfast looks good, lunch I'm assuming is based on convenience. I'd go with a higher protein dinner, with lots of veggies. As well, I'd plan on a couple of snacks based on when your hungrier times are.

I know, as someone who used to eat all the time, but don't be afraid of food. Sit down and plan your meals for tomorrow, and then stick to it. Just for one day... then repeat.

Good luck!

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-23-2009 at 08:57 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Well I'm not quite your age... but I am 33 which is not very spring chickenish. I have lost 142 pounds in 11 months. You CAN do this... if you stick with it.

I would eat every 2-3 hours, get in lots of protein and veggies and drink tons of water. Make sure you move your body lots and STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Journal every single bite/lick/taste and account for them.

Losing weight is mental. All mental. You can do this if you really want it. But you have to be willing to put in the work as well.

I wish you the very best of luck!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Since you have already failed at WLS , why would you want to take that risk again ? Many of the members of 3FC have lost over 100 pounds by diet and exercise. My own son has lost over 200 pounds without surgery, he did it all by diet and exercise. I hope you don't think I am scolding you., call it tough love. You can lose on sensible diet and exercise. And I don't mean 600 calories a day. Just some things for you to think about.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi! We are all here for you! You should be able to eat at least 1,800 cals and lose. I know after those surgeries that your calories have to be very low, I couldn't imagine having to live on so few, but I know many do.

I just had my 4th and final baby. My "rule" for myself was after I was finished having babies I would give myself 2 years to be at goal. I breast feed so I won't do anything drastic before that 2 year limit. If I don't at least put a huge dent in my weight by then, then it's surgery for me... something I DO NOT want to do, so I'm working my butt off, learning how to control my portions and eat smarter. So far it's working
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincrazyinky View Post
I am a few months away from having a revision to a RNY weight loss surgery I had. I weigh 283 today. I thought I would give it one last whole hearted try. I am scared because I am 57 and facing an extreme surgery and want to try again to lose the weight without surgery. Okay, here is my plan...
What do you all think?
For Breakfast:

cup of yogurt, half cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of Fiber One, 1/4 cup soynuts
stirred altogether....been eating this for a year so it is a habit.

For Lunch:

A Lean Cuisine OR a six inch veggie patty subway sandwich with tons of veggies

For Supper:

A protein shake (Nutramet meal replacement)

Now, IF I go through with the surgery, which I have already been handed the post surgery manual, I will be restricted to eat 600 calories a day for year or until the weight is lost.

I have gotten rid of all the bad food as I honestly have no control if it is in the house...if it is here, I will eat it. I am that much of a noodle.
I can't go out to eat because it is too much temptation...I am also a sweet tooth person, so I have to just stay away from the bakery section of the grocery also. I ate too much after RNY and ruined my stomach. The next step is the Duodenal Switch...meaning you only absorb half the calories of what you eat, but you also gain a lifetime of keeping up with vitamins and labwork. I joined to YMCA to go swimming and I plan to walk everyother day. If anybody has any advice, lay it on me. I want to be able to lose this....wondering at my age if it is possible...I need to lose 133 pounds!!
Thanks for listening Pat in Kentucky
I admit to not knowing much about weight loss surgery - but you are having surgery to prevent about half your calories from being absorbed and they want you to eat 600 calories a day? Doesnt that mean your body will only get 300 calories a day? That sounds insane - to me.

As far as your meal plan, to me, it sounds restrictive and punitive and not much fun. It sounds hard to stick to. It sounds like the kind of meal plan that used to make me binge, until I decided to change my mindset and lose weight by eating delicious, healthy, whole foods and practice portion control. After that change, it got about a zillion times easier and here I am - a 4.5 year maintainer.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Glory87; 08-23-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Perhaps it might be helpful to understand why you are scheduled for a revision -- is there a medical urgency that needs surgical intervention? Or is this to make things smaller so that you can again lose weight?

This info might be of help, cause if you are going to have the surgery in any event, then the advice given may be different from having stretched out your original surgery...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't know much about your exact situation, and I hate to sound like a downer, but it sounds to me as if surgery number one was not successful for you, why would surgery number 2 be?

Losing weight and lots of it any age, at any time IS possible for any one and everyone. Yourself included. PEople ask me all the time how I lost so much weight when they can't even lose 10 lbs. I tell them that I decided to. So you can lose weight as well - if you decide to. I remember you from a while back and you had trouble sticking with a plan. If you set your mind to it, and decide to, you too CAN stick with a reasonable, sensible plan.

Quote:
As far as your meal plan, to me, it sounds restrictive and punitive and not much fun. It sounds hard to stick to. It sounds like the kind of meal plan that used to make me binge, until I decided to change my mindset and lose weight by eating delicious, healthy, whole foods and practice portion control. After that change, it got about a zillion times easier and here I am - a 4.5 year maintainer.
As for your plan, I'm with Glory, just switch out 2 year maintainer instead of the 4.5. So yes, I think it's important to DECIDE to do this, but I also think it's important to make this interesting and exciting and delicious and satisfying, thus making it EASIER to stick with.

Have you considered going to a nutritionist or a dietician? Perhaps they can come up with a sensible plan for you and they can help keep you accountable.

I hope you find what works for you and that you find something that you are willing to make work, whatever that may be.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-23-2009 at 10:29 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #9  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Oh, and to add the age thing. I'm 43 at the moment and although I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure that I'm currently lighter than I was 20 years ago (I remember after college being 280). In my teens I was pushing 200 (if not higher as I think at some point I just stopped looking). So I do truly believe that it is possible to change a lifetime of bad habits.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I understand what you are going through. I never had WLS but I started on this journey at 53, weighing 281 pounds. Since I am 5'2" my BMI was 51.4. You are taller than me so I calculate your bmi to be 45.7. Anyway, my point being that I was just a little younger than you and my BMI was higher.

Before starting I became desperate. I looked into WLS but my insurance did not cover it so I would have to find a way to pay. Going to the seminars on WLS, I was struck by one thing. After WLS, I would still have to change my way of eating. I was not sure that hunger was my real problem so WLS might not work. If I could not stick with an eating plan before, why would I be able to stick to the WLS diet either? It sounded more extreme than anything I had ever tried.

Anyway, I was desperate enough to decide that I was going to whatever I could. Unlike some on the forum, like Robin, I was not sure from the beginning that I would succeed. At least not that I would succeed to the point that I would get to a healthy BMI. I thought that surely I could take off 20 pounds though. I saw a doctor that specializes in non-surgical weight loss and a nutritionist.

My original diet had me eating 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I lost 25 pounds the first 4 months, slow but steady. More importantly, I was conquering my demons and came to believe that I can really change my life. In my opinion, I had to kick an addiction. Mainly to sugar but also to food in general. I have gradually dropped my daily calories while increasing my exercise and have lost over 60 pounds. I do not have the cravings that I used to have. I still have a long way to go but feel so much better. I did not have to go to extremes to get here either.

I am afraid to advise on your diet because I am not sure how your previous surgery effects you. Before more surgery reach out to the professionals that can help you without surgery such as doctors, nutritionists, and/or psychiatrists/psychologists. This forum has been a huge help to me. Hang out here with us awhile. Seeing others succeed here has really helped me.

I hear the desperation that I felt in your posting. Please know that this is possible at your age. Don't look at the end goal, it can be too overwhelming. Do everything that you can do today to lose weight. Then repeat it tomorrow. I don't know about you, but I am finding that every year passes faster and faster. If you start now, you will see a major difference in a year.

We are here for you. You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I understand what you are going through. I never had WLS but I started on this journey at 53, weighing 281 pounds. Since I am 5'2" my BMI was 51.4. You are taller than me so I calculate your bmi to be 45.7. Anyway, my point being that I was just a little younger than you and my BMI was higher.

Before starting I became desperate. I looked into WLS but my insurance did not cover it so I would have to find a way to pay. Going to the seminars on WLS, I was struck by one thing. After WLS, I would still have to change my way of eating. I was not sure that hunger was my real problem so WLS might not work. If I could not stick with an eating plan before, why would I be able to stick to the WLS diet either? It sounded more extreme than anything I had ever tried.

Anyway, I was desperate enough to decide that I was going to whatever I could. Unlike some on the forum, like Robin, I was not sure from the beginning that I would succeed. At least not that I would succeed to the point that I would get to a healthy BMI. I thought that surely I could take off 20 pounds though. I saw a doctor that specializes in non-surgical weight loss and a nutritionist.

My original diet had me eating 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I lost 25 pounds the first 4 months, slow but steady. More importantly, I was conquering my demons and came to believe that I can really change my life. In my opinion, I had to kick an addiction. Mainly to sugar but also to food in general. I have gradually dropped my daily calories while increasing my exercise and have lost over 60 pounds. I do not have the cravings that I used to have. I still have a long way to go but feel so much better. I did not have to go to extremes to get here either.

I am afraid to advise on your diet because I am not sure how your previous surgery effects you. Before more surgery reach out to the professionals that can help you without surgery such as doctors, nutritionists, and/or psychiatrists/psychologists. This forum has been a huge help to me. Hang out here with us awhile. Seeing others succeed here has really helped me.

I hear the desperation that I felt in your posting. Please know that this is possible at your age. Don't look at the end goal, it can be too overwhelming. Do everything that you can do today to lose weight. Then repeat it tomorrow. I don't know about you, but I am finding that every year passes faster and faster. If you start now, you will see a major difference in a year.

We are here for you. You can do this!
Awesome advice!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

All Y'all.....WLS is only a tool, just like any other diet/exercise/healthy eating plan, if you abuse it, it will NOT work for you. It is a tool to a healthier you and way of eating that you must continue the rest of your life. Just like healthy eating and exercise, it has to be a life change forever.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #13  
Pat is in KY

S/C/G: 283/283/150

The Duodenal Switch is a metabolic surgery. Yes it does cut half your stomach away, but you all know that can be stretched, I did that with my RNY. It is what they do to your intestines that causes extreme malabsorption whereby you absorb only 20% of the fat you eat, 50% of the protein and complex carbs your eat; however, you absorb 100% of the refined starches and sweets. So, I was told this would cause me to lose the weight, but it also means bloodwork every 3 to 6 months and keeping up with the vitamins or you could die from a vitamin deficiency. Everybody that has it does not gain their weight back, BUT, they have awful gas when they eat carbs. I have been to dieticians twice and I do know what is healthy and probably South Beach is the best diet plan, but it is my brain....I get really dedicated and try really hard and good for a couple of weeks, on top of the world and I can do anything attitude....then...I will mess up and for no known reason I will eat that piece of X and do it because I want to then feel guilt, etc. I tried to analyze WHY do I do this? Why can't I stay 100% on plan all the time? It is the sweets, that hot bread, you know, when you are at a restaurant and see someone else eating it and all of a sudden I cannot control the urge and I eat it. I need to find some way to fight back when I feel that urge coming on. It starts with seeing it and the first thought about it.....I have to figure out how to stop the thought process.
After the Duodenal Switch, you have no choice. It makes you thin, and if you eat carbs or fatty foods, off to the bathroom you go and there is nothing you can do about it. But even tho people rave about it....I am thinking......I am the kind of person who would be very embarrassed having gas all the time or bathroom issues would be difficult. The first year, until you get to goal, you eat protein first, then a green veggie and only 2 bites of a carb. IT is 600 calories a day, 90 grams of protein until you get off your weight. Then after you reach goal, you can experiment with what you can eat. I have talked to women who eat on the average of 3,000 calories a day and not gain their wt. back. One lady is out of control and a food addict who went from a size 28 to a size 16 and can't lose anymore wt., because she binges all day but has gas all day. That seems weird to me. I know I have to do something because I could have a heart attack carrying this weight at my age. My husband is 315 with severe diabetes and he is going to have surgery...he can't for whatever reason stay on a diet and he doesn't like sweets. He has been big his whole life. I know it is a mind thing. I wish somebody would drop me off in a wilderness so I could lose this weight and not have to deal with it. I hate to cook and I like convenience which is why I guess the lean cuisine idea. I cooked for my kids and then my grandkids and one day I just hated cooking...I know...that is weird too. I sure appreciate your support. To KNOW that there are people who CAN do it give me great hope.
goincrazyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Welcome! I have no more good advice to add to all of these smart posts. I will say good job on getting rid of all the junk from your house. I am a "noodle" too and just can't have it around!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #15  

I commend you on considering not having surgery.You really can do this.There are amazing stories on this board that prove it is possible.Have you read any books on overeating?The end of overeating is a great book and might help you evaluate why you do this and might give you some tools to use as you overcome you struggles with food.Good luck to you.Keep us posted.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote