View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
nelie
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

IgetfitNstrongforme - I think there are many factors that compose a healthy or an unhealthy diet. My concerns with animal products are many which include environmental effects, health effects and overall abuses in farming techniques. Animal consumption has a large effect on our environment and even animal product manufacturing is having a large effect. Factoring out the environmental effects, I think we've proven that it is bad for people to live with lots of stress, how is it for people to eat animals and animal products that live with lots of stress? Beyond whether someone cares about an animal should be treated, it would seem that excessive stressed caused to animals would affect those who consume the products from that same animal. Also, factory farmed animals are pumped full of hormones in order to grow faster and also antibiotics in order to control disease in the unnatural nature they are raised. Then at animal proteins itself, the countries with highest incidence of diabetes, heart disease and cancer are also the countries that eat the most animal products.* This is simply correlation but there are certain things that are known such as dairy being linked to diabetes type 1 in children and prostrate cancer in men. The fact that your chances of heart attack and the fact that your cholesterol increases dramatically after eating red meat. The fact that mercury levels in fish is continuing to rise but the message still put out there is 'eat fish'. The animals and animal products eaten in the US are from animals fed an unnatural diet. Corn is cheap but corn isn't what cows, chickens or other animals would live on naturally.

So then what about other factors? The fact that corn is huge, whether it is the feed given to animals that people eat or if it is the fact that corn is in everything, it is definitely an unnatural state for humans. Transfat/hydrogenated oils are definitely an issue. Both of the above though can be avoided through a whole foods diet.

So yes we have genetics in play but we also have whatever else we do. I wouldn't dismiss genetics but I was originally trying to point out that even though we may be disposed to something via our genetic code, we may be able to control it greatly by our actions.

And also I am aware of the difference between vegan and vegetarian. A vegan diet (no animal products in food) and vegan lifestyle (no animal products in food/ or in products buy/wear) are how I would differentiate the diet of the vegan and the overall lifestyle of a vegan. The real difference is those that follow a vegan diet are usually only concerned about health while those that follow a vegan diet are generally concerned about the environment, animal welfare and possibly health.

*I am aware that there are 2 distinct cultures in the world that have a large amount of animal products in their diet and have low incidence of disease.