Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default The Crazy Voice In My Head

There's an argument going on in my head right now. You know, it's the argument between good and evil. I've got the evil trying to tell me it's alright to go eat what ever it is that is going to sabotage my success. And the good telling me to resist the evil temptation.

I'm so tired of the sabotage. How do I turn off the evil temptation? I have asked myself this question many times. I really don't know how.

There are many times when I have given in and ate mindlessly in a binge. Then after I was stuffed till almost the point of vomiting that I would realize what I have done and then the guilt sets in. Then, I have a feeling of worthlessness and self pity.

There are times when I have been able to resist the temptation by doing different things. Like I'll get my mind busy doing something different until I just forget about the evil temptation or I'll eat something healthy instead in an attempt to somehow replace the the food that is calling my name.

I really need to start doing some different things though. Mainly because some of the things I have been doing in the past don't work as great as I want them to.

Right now I'm writing this post to help to redirect my mind. I know I'm not hungry because I just ate lunch about an hour ago. But the evil temptation is telling me that I do need whatever it is and it's ok because I can just get right back on track at my next meal or even tomorrow. But I know that's not true because the last time I got off track I stayed off track for 4 months and I gained 20 lbs in the process.

SO tell me, what kinds of things do you do to redirect yourself when you're having the battle between good and evil going on in your head?
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I try to do something to keep myself busy... Heck even sometimes I'm like if I'm feeling like I want to eat I go grab a large glass of water, then go work out half an hour.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Take a walk. call somebody on the phone, come to 3FC and read inspirational stories or play games. Anything that will distract me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I learned a technique where you imagine a thermometer in your mind. It's set to red if the craving is really strong, yellow if it's moderate, and green if you could take it or leave it.

Picture the thermometer and then decide to distract yourself for ten minutes (by the clock.) After ten minutes, check the thermometer again. For me, I can almost always dial it down to a yellow or even green.

Once I bought a donut and put it in the car planning to eat it one the way home (one of my favorite bad habits.)

I KNEW I was going to eat it, but did the thermometer trick.... No lie, I dialed down the craving to the point that I actually forgot about it. I found it a couple of days later, all stale.

I have no clue why it works, but it does help me a lot.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #5  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

This is a little weird, but when I get those temptations, I go in the bathroom, lift up my shirt, look at my stomach. That is all it takes for me to ward off those demons calling me.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Oh man, I have so many of those conversations in my head. I call her my "inner brat." She has tantrums if she doesn't get a candy bar in the checkout line! I mentally put her on "time out" and try to imagine myself being the in-control, mature parent trying to get the inner brat to behave.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #7  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Then after I was stuffed till almost the point of vomiting that I would realize what I have done and then the guilt sets in. Then, I have a feeling of worthlessness and self pity.
Remember that feeling! Whenever you are tempted.. remember how you would feel an hour from now if you give in.

One trick I have done that works.. mainly because I hate telling myself "no".. is to tell myself "YES.. I can have that. I'll have it tomorrow." The temptation is long gone by the next day. But just being able to say "Yes" to myself seems to help tremendously. If the temptation isn't gone, then you should be able to work it into your plan for the next day. I find that if I PLAN for things, I stay on track. It's the knee jerk decisions that can really mess me up.

Good luck to you - you can do this!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

I get out of the house. Go for a walk, bike ride, garden....whatever it takes at ll cost to just be away from the food lurking in my cabinets!!!!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis427 View Post
This is a little weird, but when I get those temptations, I go in the bathroom, lift up my shirt, look at my stomach. That is all it takes for me to ward off those demons calling me.
I don't think this is weird at all--in fact, I think it's a great idea...I'm going to start using this technique! (although I suppose there's the possibility of seeing that, then feeling worse and eating because of it...we'll see!)
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
Oh man, I have so many of those conversations in my head. I call her my "inner brat." She has tantrums if she doesn't get a candy bar in the checkout line! I mentally put her on "time out" and try to imagine myself being the in-control, mature parent trying to get the inner brat to behave.

Yep, mine is my Inner Two Year Old. Sometimes she flings herself on the floor and screams, holding her breath, hoping that I will buy her a bag of Doritos or some chip and dip or maybe some chocolate covered peanuts. I give her a piece of gum and tell her to hush. She kicks up quite a fuss when we walk through the bakery department at Safeway because she really insists that just ONE square of carrot cake won't cause any harm. I just tell her "Maybe we'll get that next time" and keep right on walking. Sometimes, like last night, she whispers that cutting back isn't doing any good anyway. When she gets like that, I take her to the bedroom and scare her by getting out my fat pants and putting them on. That usually shuts her up!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote