Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Interesting article- the truth about diet soda

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...6887&GT1=31036

just read this on MSN. This article says some things my dietican has been saying over and over this month. I thought it was interesting.

What do ya'll think?
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't drink diet soda- I don't like to take in so much of the fake sugar products because sugar is sugar to your body, it triggers cravings. If I drink a soda I'll notice I want more sweet stuff so I just stay away from it. I was never a huge soda drinker anyways.

I love how the comments underneath say this article is lame and wrong and how water ALSO has no nutritional value. LOL. I'm like just cuz water is 0 calories doesn't mean it's not good for you.

I think the problem is that soda used to be seen as a treat, you'd go to soda stand and a soda jerk would serve you a soda. Now people have it as their everyday staple. More and more "treats" have become everyday foods but unfortunately our bodies haven't gotten the memo to speed up our metabolisms to compensate for the dramatic change in calories.

When I was growing up we had soda ONCE a month when my parents would order a pizza. My parents ONLY drank water and I would have water or milk with dinner, occassionally my mother bought orange juice, but overall I grew up in a household where water and milk were the main drinks (and I wasn't much of a milk drinker either!).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I still drink my D. Coke on pizza Fridays. I only recently added it back into my diet at all though. I can tell my skin is better than it was a year ago and I have to think water drinking contributes to that.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I love how the comments underneath say this article is lame and wrong and how water ALSO has no nutritional value. LOL. I'm like just cuz water is 0 calories doesn't mean it's not good for you.
And you should hear what oxygen does to you! We wouldn't need all these anti-oxidants if we would just stop indulging in so much oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I think the problem is that soda used to be seen as a treat, you'd go to soda stand and a soda jerk would serve you a soda. Now people have it as their everyday staple.
That I think is the truth.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #5  

When all is said and done, I think our bodies were created to eat things like fruits and vegetables first and foremost. Meat eating came later. That worked for a few thousand years.

And then within the few decades we came up with way of stuffing chemicals and genetically engineered food into our bodies. And then we wonder where things like cancer and heart disease come from.

This is not to say I don't like a good soda pop from time to time, but I agree. The fact that we're bombarded with message and jingles 24 hours a day makes you feel like you're missing something if you don't partake. It's even worse for kids--if one parent gives their kids orange juice and 10 parents gives their kids orange soda or Kool-Aid, that kid's going to feel deprived.
hcl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
And you should hear what oxygen does to you! We wouldn't need all these anti-oxidants if we would just stop indulging in so much oxygen

Last edited by beerab; 04-22-2009 at 02:31 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'4"

I was raised on Pepsi. We had Pepsi with everything, lunch, Dinner, sometimes with breakfast. My parents LOVED it. We always had milk in the house, and orange juice, but the 6 of us would go through quite a few 2 liters of Pepsi a day.

I met my husband and he switched me to Coke but we still drank it all day, every day.

We had kids and amazingly, they hate soda. I don't offer it to them, but I never said no when they asked for it. We always have soda in the house but the kids won't drink it.

I am still a soda nut. I love it. But DH and I have made a conscious effort to eliminate it from our daily diets. I have a bottle of Diet Coke in my fridge but it will last a long time. I usually have one glass a day. If I am at work (I work at a restaurant) I have ONE glass there...maybe. My kids drink water and milk. Dh is mostly a water drinker now.

I try now to stay away from even Diet Coke because it triggers my want for real coke, which then makes me just want more and more.

I think Dh and I are lucky that our kids just never liked it. It saved us from having to wean them off. Really, I know soda, any kind, is not very good for me, but I can't seem to cut it out altogether.
micasa2grls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #8  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

I've never suffered from diet-soda induced cravings, and enjoy a couple a week. I was raised on tea, though, so soda is just another drink to me. I do try to buy diet sodas sweetened with sucralose or stevia rather than aspartame, though.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

I crave the carbonation so usually I try to drink seltzer instead of DC. Not quite as satisfying but does help with the pop consumption.
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I haven't had a diet soda in over two years and I rarely drink sodas in general. I probably have a cane sugar sweetened soda every couple months or so. I definitely view it as a treat. Honestly, for the calories, I'd rather have a beer or a glass of wine.

I avoid artificial sweeteners. I don't think there is enough evidence of their safety. Of course, sugar isn't all that great for you either and I'm working on cutting that out of my diet for the most part (except for occasional treats.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #11  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I have completely eliminated any type of soda from my diet. For me - it just triggers cravings for other things like salty snacks and bad food.
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Like micasa I was raised with soda, maybe at that time there was not a lot of knowledge about this things...My grandma would give me coffee for breakfast every morning, I'm not a coffee drinker at all since my grandma stopped making our breakfast every morning.

I'm trying to eliminate Diet Pepsi (that's the only soda that I drink) completely, I can go for 2-3 cans a day and I consider it not good for me. I also want to give the example to my 17m son. My husband is a regular pepsi drinker, I need to work on that as well.

Thanks for sharing the article, I found it very interesting.

P.D.I was reading it out loud to my husband.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #13  

Wow! Very interesting article. I quit drinking soft drinks whenever I started running cross country and now they taste really weird whenever I taste them. I could never go back.
fitnessgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #14  

Thanks for sharing Beth.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #15  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Their poison, I don't drink them anymore.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote