View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
nelie
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgetfitNStrongforme View Post
I heard Jillian Michaels talk about this on her radio show, how Bob Harper's cholesterol drop low when he became a vegan but hers didn't move more this 5 points when she gave up meat and the reason the BL shows doctor said is that Bob family is predisposed to have very high cholesterol, strokes and heartaches, in fact his mother died rather young from a heart attack. Jillian' family doesn't have that risk factor. Personally my mom makes bad cholesterol just by looking a butter and my Dad naturally has very low bad cholesterol and high good cholesterol, it's all genetics's.

I hope that helps.
Genetics are a factor but also just giving up meat versus going vegan is quite different. All the studies I've read regarding giving up animal products and cholesterol had to do with a vegan diet. What I was amazed about is the fact that in parts of the world where a whole foods vegan (or mostly vegan) diet is eaten, American 'good' cholesterol numbers are still higher than even their worst cholesterol numbers. Of course the studies also addressed those who are living in the US from the same cultures and they are still as likely to get high cholesterol as other Americans.