Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

Default Great explaination

I was looking into this whole plateau, fat cell, water replacement thing and here is what I found:

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter:
“Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of “proper dieting”, each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result – you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.”

This is what we have been telling folks. You lose inches but not pounds because your body plumps the fat cells. I tell them it is a complicated biochemical process that your body replaces the fat molecules with water and fluids until you exceed your bodies predetermined fluid level. Then your body will release a chemical that releases all this stored water and you get sudden overnight loss of several pounds. Then the cycle starts over again with inches gone and the scales lag behind.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It’s a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting. However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show.
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

I'm not fat, I'm just wet.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4FEwife View Post
I was looking into this whole plateau, fat cell, water replacement thing and here is what I found:

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter:
“Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of “proper dieting”, each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result – you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.”

This is what we have been telling folks. You lose inches but not pounds because your body plumps the fat cells. I tell them it is a complicated biochemical process that your body replaces the fat molecules with water and fluids until you exceed your bodies predetermined fluid level. Then your body will release a chemical that releases all this stored water and you get sudden overnight loss of several pounds. Then the cycle starts over again with inches gone and the scales lag behind.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It’s a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting. However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show.
I love it E4FEWife!! Can you share the website you picked this up at... I would like to print it to share with others... THanks!!
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #4  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by little edie View Post
this made me giggle
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Thanks for the reminder. It may come in extremely handy in keeping my motivation going on down the long road ahead.

Last edited by Joy2MeNu; 08-21-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/185/140

Height: 5ft 2 in

I would also like to print this info too. If you could post where you got it it would be great. thanks a bunch.
blissfulmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by little edie View Post
LMAO i am going to have a t-shirt printed with that, and the explanation on the back of it !!!

that was pretty darn funny!
Biloxibound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Ha! I've always said "I'm not fat, I'm just short for my weight"
funshine is offline   Reply With Quote