Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over Fifty -- #27

Hey! Did you all make it over?

-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

I hope more of our regulars check in again soon...

Is anyone here a Nevada Barr mystery fan? Her protagonist is a park ranger named Anna Pigeon.

See ya!
Jay
Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - Jay, I've not red Nevada Barr - I will check Audible for her books though - sounds interesting!

I just started a new Tess Gerritsen book today, so far - so good.

I'm beat - the week was a long one, and now I need to get started on the presentations for church on Sunday. DH is working all day tomorrow, so at least I can have some quiet time. Well, maybe not - I'm not sure if they are working on the roof tomorrow or not. They started on Tuesday, and are progressing nicely! But, it is a bit noisy.

I am very impressed with the crew. They are extremely polite and helpful. Not my usual experience with construction crews.

Anyone have any fun planned for the weekend? Mine is all work, I'm afraid. DH pulled the Michigan Waterfalls book out of my car, so maybe I willl spend some time picking a few to visit in October. Virtually all of MI falls are in the UP.

Gotta fly, the dryer is buzzing.

Laurie
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi, folks!

CD, if you start with Nevada Barr, you might want to begin with her first one, Track of the Cat. But, you could also go with her second one, A Superior Death, which has to do with Isle Royale NP.

I hadn't heard of Tess Gerritsen, but I looked her up--sounds like the kind of mystery I would like!

I hope your roof is coming along. It sounds like you have a good company.

Well it's the kind of day here where more coffee seems like a necessity... I didn't sleep well the night before, but last night I was a log. Today looks like it will be cloudy and breezy--there's a tropical depression passing by 90 miles off the Gulf coast. We won't get much from it--but then, it rains every day.

I am trying to get back on track with eating. I'm having to ban certain foods again because once I start with them, I don't stop. Nuts for example.

Our grocery store is having a big sale on honeydew melons, though! And I picked out a perfect one yesterday.

So, all you readers, are you gonna come on in and post?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-16-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4  

It is going to be a hot one today - already 81 degrees with 70% humitity - UGH! I'm glad I got most of my chores done yesterday.

Church went well this morning, and grocery shopping yielded some GREAT fruits and vegetables. I love buying local produce this time of year.

Meijer had 25% off their clearance stuff for today - and I picked up some great buys - a short sleeve sweater (black and white), a knit top (black, white, and brown), a belt (copper), a pair of wedge sandals (brown) and two pair of black tights. My treasures came to $17.00 The belt and sandals were much needed - my feet dropped a size when I dropped the weight. I got rid of all of my sandals. And, I didn't even own a belt at my high weight. Elastic waist pants and skirts don't require one. And I NEVER tucked anything in

I'm off to peruse fruit bar/crisp recipes since I went a little wild in the produce department.

Hope you all are having a GREAT Sunday!

Stay cool!

Laurie
Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Jay,

I know what you mean about certain foods. I also have certain ones that I can't eat at all as I can't quit. I do eat the Cocoa almonds though as they are a little more pricey, and so I can limit myself, knowing that I can't get anymore for 2 weeks, until payday.

CD,

The fruit crisp / bars sound yummy, do you have any good recipes you would like to share.

As far as reading, I am a quilter, so my books are usually quilt related. I have been reading Jennifer Chiavaretti lately, and I also do like a good mystery on occasion, so I will have to check these books out also.

Have a great day everyone.

Wilma
Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170

Height: 6'2"

Smile Our band is contesting

I am in the Unley Concert bnad , one of the best in South Australia (pushes out the chest, and falls over!)

We are practising hard now for our contest day on 29th.
We are about 55 strong, and equally divided amonst sexes, with some excellent young people, who show us oldies how its done much of the time.

Will keep in touch.
Keeps my mind off food
Keep smiling!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

slim n up,

Yeah, Wilma, I wish the price of a food item worked for me as a deterrent to overeating, but alas... it does not. Better not to start with those foods at all. I do so much better if I just make them off limits for awhile.

Alan, cool about the band! I went to the website,

http://www.ucb.org.au/

And I think in the "photos" section I saw you--in one of the pictures at Digger Memorial? Are you on the back row, corner? And I think I also see you in the bottom picture, next to the guy in the suit?

CD, you really SCORED on all those clothes for $17! I need to do some clothes shopping--and we just discovered that we live really close to a "real" mall. Sometimes all one can find in Fla. are strip malls, but this is a big one, with a Sears, Penneys, Macy's, Dillards, and everything in between. I should be able to find SOMEthing.

How did it get to be Wednesday already? Jeeeeezz...

Jay
Old 08-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #8  

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm on the westcoast of BC and the sun is shining today. I'm off to get a new shorter haircut which should help with the hot sticky feeling on my neck. My exercise today is going to be lifting and moving boxes over at my daughter's place as they are getting ready to move and b/c of car accident injuries they can't do much lifting so hubby & I will help get things ready for the movers.

btw...I've read Tess Gerritsen and love her books. I love mysteries/thrillers/horror and contemporary romance and always have a book on the go.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #9  

Hi all! Too busy to post yesterday. DS2 went with us after work. We took a walk, went to the wine tasting at a favorite restaurant, and then had dinner. We finished the evening off with a fire on the patio. It was really, a beautiful summer evening - and a great stress reliever.

We saw lots of folk we knew at the restaurant - which isn't uncomon when you live in a small town

The guys are making good progress on the roof - thought the replacement window where the skylight used to be is quite a bit smaller. It is going to take some creative trimming to make it look OK. I need to do some idea research before I decide on what to do.

Hope you are all having a fun day!

Laurie
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi I cleaned out my classroom yesterday after 23 years of teaching. There is no position for me this year. I officially joined the unemployed in MI. It doesn't look good for any kind of teaching job, so I'll look for something else. I've always believed that when God closes one door he opens another.
On a positive note, I'll now have lots of time to spend on the computer. I'm leaving for upstate NY to see my Dad for about a week. I'll catch everyone when I get back. Lori
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Hi Everyone,

I'm bumming here was supposed to have a 4 day weekend, but do to circumstances beyond my control, I have to work tomorrow. Had to change my pacemaker/defribulator check appointment, and everything. O'well that is was happens when you are a supervisor.

DH has been painting the walls, and ceilings. They are starting to look really nice. I think my nephew is on his way home from Iraq, as I type this. I hope so, as I have been worried about him.

Have a great night everyone,

Wilma
Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #12  

Lori I DO believe that things WILL work out for you - you are in my prayers! Education in MI right now is a MESS! They are talking $225 per pupil cuts in the foundation allowance - and maybe even more. We already cut $2,000.000 from our budget - and now, maybe another 3/4 million will need to be cut.

It is really , really ugly - I am truly thankful to be employed - even with 19 years in the district.

Wilma - sorry about the change in work schedule! But, see above - there is a silver lining! Wonderful news about your nephew - prayers continue for ALL serving in our military!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 170

Height: 6'2"

Wink Still going and blowing

Hi Jayell,

You sure did your homework, and I believe you might have picked me out from the crowd.
Anyway I am the one with the short beard, and if I am tall and carrying a trombone...that's me

I will keep you informed of the results when they arrive...we play in about 10 days on Saturday afternoon.

In the meantime I am still working on my blogsite, and practising blowing, and gardening and walking and....you know how it is when you are retired...your time just gets eaten away!
Oh yes, not forgettiing 3 FC
Keep smiling!

Alan
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry! It must have been a sad day clearing out your classroom. Listen to CD, she knows the territory better than we outsiders... Things will change, things will turn around.

bcgal00, welcome! Glad to see you posting! I hope you took it kinda easy on that lifting...

slim n up, crossed fingers for your nephew's safe return. What kind of work do you do?

Well, about a month ago I had gone to the doctor complaining of feeling tired and having pain in my lower back. So as some of you know, I went through all these tests. Some posters here have been interested in my results, so, I'll give you the brief version. Basically I'm healthy as a horse. BP 104/60, fasting blood glucose 84 and A1C normal, cholesterol 192, HDL 59, LDL 121. And so on. The only problems are, vitamin D is a little low, and I have elevated thyroid antibody (but not by much). No anemia. Iron is fine, too. Muscle is fine, heart is fine.

The main issues are the arthritis in my spine and the osteoporosis in my lumbar spine. But, I show no fractures or anything severe. Also, my Rheumatoid Factor is normal. So... back pain requires OTC anti-inflammatory drugs. Need to take 1500 mg calcium per day and 1000 mg vitamin D.

I don't like the bisphosphonate drugs, e.g., Fosamax etc.

So I guess it's a matter of helping my back to stop hurting without giving up my exercise program! Core exercises are a good thing, as long as they don't make things worse. I'm to consult with my chiropractor.

And that's it for the report!

Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #15  

Alan - I checked out the website for the band - very cool!

Jay - thanks for letting us know your results. I'm glad it is nothing worse.

FYI - when I started this journey, I had a lot of lower back issues. I found that doing a lot of my core work on the balance ball really did help. In fact, for core, pilates, even some yoga - I really like the DVDs that use a fitness ball. The curve of the ball, and the extra support really helped me.

Another good day here - a wonderful jazz concert in the park this evening. The weather was brisk, but at least the rain has passed. We are blessed that, while we got a lot of rain and wind this afternoon, we didn't get the severe storms that others in the Midwest did!

Hope you all have a FANTASTIC Friday!

Laurie
Closed Thread