Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #1  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

Default My First 5k (maybe)

So, i've been going to the gym since last week. I started eating more healthy & adding more exercise on 06/08/09 and I've since lost 18.4 lbs (woo hoo ). Today, on the elliptical/stair climber thing, I totally did 3 miles in 39 minutes! And I have this dream (i can't believe i'm verbalizing this) to be a runner. I finally mentioned it to my husband last week & he was so supportive.

Then, literally 3 days after I started going to the gym (YMCA), a sign is posted that they are sponsoring a 5k race for cancer. Now, I've attempting running. I tried the C25K program & didn't make it through the 1st week because of shin splints. I'm wondering if this is due to my weight. The YMCA is also holding a class (much like a c25k) that I'm considering signing up for. It starts on 08/19. But, I am terrified! And I don't know why! I mean it's a 5k walk or run. I don't have to run. But part of me (a big part) wants to run it. Why is this freaking me out so much? I don't know. Maybe I just wanted to hear about other ladies first 5k & see if they felt the same way. Any stories to share out there?

Last edited by AbbySinthe; 08-07-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: i can't spell
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Well, ALL those signs sure mean something ..... 5Ks are so much fun, they really are, I don't think we ever forget our first race. And how wonderful is it that there's a class on how to show you how to do a 5k...

Go for it girl, the signs are all there.... and they're there for a reason.... you may not know the reason right at this moment, but there is a reason...

Have fun and let us know how everything goes...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

You should go for it!! Like you, I also used to dream of being a runner, and guess what...now I am! I can't say it was easy or happened overnight, but I've only been seriously running for about 4 months and I've literally been able to double my distance from running 3 miles to running 6 miles, so it's amazing what your body can do when you encourage it to work harder. I battled shin splints for a long time, so please be careful. I only run 3x/week, maybe 4 but rarely, ice after every single run (even now) and stretch before and after. There are a ton of exercises specifically for shin splints that you can google or ask your instructor if you take that class (which you should!).

This sounds like an awesome plan and a really great way to challenge yourself. I find that when I'm frustrated with the number on the scale, I use fitness goals and breakthroughs to motivate myself to keep going and it works like a charm! Good luck and have fun!!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Sign Up !!!!!! Last August I couldn't even run a full minute and now I am running my first 10k this Sunday. If you can walk 3 miles in 39 minutes then you are already there. You can do it and it is so much fun.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Yes, you can!! I decided after reading a post on this site that I would like to give the C25K a try, so I did, I found one on itunes to download to my ipod, and I'm still on week one, the music is not my favorite, very techo, but it does allow you to run or walk and prompts you to switch back and forth. I think your idea to sign up at your Y, is a great idea, I'm sure someone there will help you to avoid those shin splints. I make sure, I do the 5min warm up and then, I do 5-10mins of yoga for stretching after, they both are very important.

Good Luck and hope you enjoy your C25K also!
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #6  
Slow and Steady

You guys are really the best. I signed up today when I went to the gym. And I signed up for the beginners trainer class starting next Wed 08/19. It runs every Wed from 6:30-7:30 until the Wed before the race. I am super excited. And really nervous. Thank you guys so much for all the support.

Last edited by AbbySinthe; 08-10-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbySinthe View Post
You guys are really the best. I signed up today when I went to the gym. And I signed up for the beginners trainer class starting next Wed 08/19. It runs every Wed from 6:30-7:30 until the Wed before the race. I am super excited. And really nervous. Thank you guys so much for all the support.
you can do this
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I say go for it! I just finished the C25K program and am contemplating my first 5K race.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Shin Splints might because you don't have the proper shoes or took on too much too quickly. Sometimes the C25K program is a little progressive for some of us heavier runners but there are plenty of learn to run programs out there that take it just a wee bit slower.

You should totally sign up!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/199/125

Height: 5'3"

I jsut started the C25K after being lazy and not keeping up with my running. However, in 2007 I did my first 5K after not running in 11 years, and it was the best decision I ever made. Sadly, there was a family funeral the same day, so my hubby and daughter were not there with me. (He insisted I do the run- said I had worked too hard!) But just that sense of accomplishment- it was amazing!

Yay you on signing up for it! You surely won't regret it! And for the shin splints, I agree with the stretching and icing, and I go so far as to wrap and elevate them when they are really bad, but I also used Tiger Balm when I was playing soccer, as well as making sure for part of my warm ups I ran backwards. I would jog from the line to center field, then jog backwards. It really helped throughout the season.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #11  
Slow and Steady

Thanks everyone. Especially the advice on shin splints.
Ilene - Thanks
momof5k - Do it! Especially if you just finished the c25k. Good luck
Ideal - The training class starts tomorrow, so i'll check with the teacher and see if she thinks I need a new pair of shoes. Or if i'm just doing too much too quick
Smee - Congrats on completing your 5k. Great job! And thanks for the advice about shin splints. I'm going try that Tiger Balm and going backward & see if that helps, too.

My training class starts tomorrow & i'm super nervous. But I know how much I want this & I'm giving myself the same advice I would give someone else. If you want to do it, do it. Don't let anything stop you! Thanks, guys! xoxo
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #12  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

Good for you Abby!!
let us know how the class goes--i'm sure you'll do great and its a terrific motivator.
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #13  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

I started C25K on Tuesday. Since the beginning of the month I have been walking on the treadmill and I had shinsplints so bad I could not walk for 2 days. I read a lot on shin splints and started doing some stretches to target that area - I saw it on coolrunning. That worked and no more shinsplints. I make sure to do at least a 5 minute warmup walk and mild stretch before every workout and to stretch after every workout be it cardio or weight training. So far no probs.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #14  

Go for it! 5-ks are a blast!
fitnessgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #15  
Slow and Steady

5k complete! My time was 42:05 which I am so proud of! I never thought I could do this. I still have a bunch to lose, but I'm not going to let that stop me from doing things anymore. Thanks to all the supportive & wonderful people on this website, who act as such great examples of what IS possible when you put your mind to it. Thank you everyone! xoxo