Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Not ready yet???

People keep telling me that I must not be ready to "diet" if im not motivated but if thats true then when will I be ready when im over 400 pounds and I need surgery??? Im at 265 I never thought i would EVER weigh this much. Just typing that number makes me feel nauseous and teary eyed. If i dont get help soon I feel I may be unhappy forever.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Well, I don't think motivation has much to do with successful weight loss. Motivation is an emotion that comes and goes. I like to read the weight loss success stories here, and one commonality I see is determination.

The fact that you are even here means that you probably are ready to lose weight. But it won't be easy, which is why you cannot rely on motivation and need to rely on yourself.

Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

It's hard to tell if you are ready or not. Sometimes I think a person has to reach ROCK BOTTOM before they have the real desire to change. I personally think it does take motivation to get started. And I think motivation does lead to successful weight loss, but somewhere along the way perseverance need to take over. Motivation gets me going in many aspects of my life, perseverance keeps me going. There is a magic switch in many of us. The trick is finding it.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I think more important than motivation is building momentum towards a healthy life. I am sure others have told you this already but just take it one day at a time with small goals in between your ultimate goal. Don't think it's an all or nothing game. Make one small change at a time. Maybe it means parking the car at the edge of the parking lot instead of driving around to find the closest space. Maybe it's ordering a small order or fries instead of large. Just make one additional change everyday towards a healthier you. Eventually it will all add up and you will build momentum towards your goal.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's 8:05 pm here on the West Coast. What have you done to be ready to lose weight tomorrow? Are your healthy meals ready, is your gym bag packed, is your ipod loaded with fun workout tunes?

If not, quit spinning around and around in your mind about what you WANT and DO something.

It is not enough to want it, you have to take the steps to make it happen. Plan for one day, follow through. Plan for a second day, follow through. Plan for a week, a weekend, a month - KEEP DOING IT.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I love what Lori Bell said.
While I don't know your personal story of how you got to the weight that you're at, nor what brought you to this site... I wouldn't be able to say if you're ready or not. I can tell you how I knew it was time. I've been overweight (right around where I started on my ticker) for the last few years. I always knew I had a problem and always "wanted" to fix it. I say "wanted" because nothing would stick. I would diet for a week and be done.. or work out for a month and stop. I finally got to the point more recently when I realized, I'm doing nothing to help myself by doing one week here, one month there. I WANT to be thin and healthy and NOW. Not next year. I want to stop saying I'll lose weight for next summer. Because really, what's the big difference? A few more months of eating whatever I want? Isn't that food always going to be available? That's when it hit me - I am ready now. I need to do this today, not tomorrow, not after I finish eating this, NOW. I remember I started in the middle of the day and I can't even remember what I had eaten already. I'm not going to lie, it's been hard... but there's this thing inside of me that keeps reminding me that if I just get through today there will be a tomorrow... and if I don't get that cheeseburger today, it'll still be there after I reach my goal. I guess I just mean that every day I don't start is one more day I would be unhappy with my unhealthy weight. So I started and, well I slip here and there, but the point is - I keep doing. I will get there eventually - AND SO WILL YOU!! On our way to goal weight!!!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I don't think other people can tell you if you are ready or not. But I do understand the idea of wanting to lose weight without being ready; I spent the last 2 years there. 291 was my highest weight, I knew I had to do something. I was less than 10 pounds from 300! Like you, I never thought I'd let it get that bad (no one ever does). So I joined WW. But somehow I still wasn't ready. I was kinda trying, but not really. I signed up for a Biggest Loser spin-off competition at my gym. It got me exercising. The first week was great. Then I went back to binge eating, so I gained even with the exercise. It wasn't until 5 months after joining WW (the whole time yo-yoing the same 5 lbs) that I hit my rock bottom. I was binge eating 2-3 times a week. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I hadn't even heard of binge eating disorder before. But then I saw an article about it posted at my gym. It was describing me! I went home and researched more. I had a diagnosis but no idea what to do about it. Finally, I decided to tell a friend. Binging for me is so dependant on secrecy, and I don't allow myself to keep it a secret anymore. I talked to my friend about it for a long time. I cried a lot. But somewhere in that it finally clicked. I can't tell you why this made me ready when so many other things didn't; it just did. And this has been so un-like my previous attempts at weight loss. I'm not just motivated this time, I'm really truely commited.

I'm not saying you have to have some big breakdown to be ready. I really hope you don't. I guess the only advice I can give if you feel like you are at the point of wanting it but not being ready is "fake it 'til you make it." On days when I don't want to do it, I just look at it like a job. I don't want to go to work sometimes but I do it because I have to. And I stay on program because I have to.

*edit- and I agree with the above post about start NOW, not tomorrow. I also started mid-day. And if I go off program I will get back on track mid-day. That's been one of my big differences between this time and previous attempts. I no longer allow myself to put off starting til "tomorrow" or "monday." There are a lot of f*cking mondays, now is now.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-17-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Thanks ladies. I feel a little better now knowing its more than motivation. I think part of my problem is the big picture. I think of all the weight I need to lose and get scared. Im going to make it a goal to lose 10 pounds by 9/18. Thats a month. I can do it
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
Thanks ladies. I feel a little better now knowing its more than motivation. I think part of my problem is the big picture. I think of all the weight I need to lose and get scared. Im going to make it a goal to lose 10 pounds by 9/18. Thats a month. I can do it
Yes you CAN do it
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote