Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Default And nobody knows it but me.

So aside from my boyfriend, no one in my personal life really knows that I'm trying to lose weight.

This past weekend, the boo & I went out to eat with his parents, and I haven't seen them since I lost the 12 lbs. Now, I know that most of that was water weight and I probably wont see a difference until 25 or 30 lbs, but I guess I just hope my face would look thinner or something.

As we are walking in, my boyfriend's mom asks HIM, "Are you losing weight???"

Sheeeeeeessshh.

I didn't let it get me too down. Just thought it was kind of ironic.
How much weight did you guys lose before people in your life started noticing??
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Why would you let it get you down ? You should be proud of losing 12 pounds. You don't have to answer her if you don't want to.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-17-2009 at 08:52 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Haha, so, you were not flattered by the question?

I was, actually.

Some people started noticing after around ten pounds, though most noticed after fifteen or so.

There were a few who didn't EVEN notice until I'd lost ALL my weight... then, they dropped their jaws and asked, "WHOA! Did you lose a lot of weight really fast? I just noticed how THIN you have gotten!!!" Like you, I didn't tell too many people I was losing weight until it was incredibly obvious. I wanted to see how long it would take for people to see for themselves.

However, with my weight loss came the return of styling my hair (when I was fat, I let it become a shaggy mess because I didn't care), the return of cute clothes, the newfound love of shopping, the return of make-up, and a buttload of confidence. Since I worked with a bunch of guys at the time (still do, but a different bunch), they all said I "got hot."
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #4  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

people didn't really start making comments until i lost 30... i tried not to tell many people, i just made sure i had a good support system (3FC) and just have been taking it one day at a time. congrats on the loss!!!
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Why would you let it get you down ? You should be proud of losing 12 pounds. You don't have to answer her if you don't want to.
Oh it was nothing like that, really.. She is so nice! I just wanted SOMEBODY to notice, and she was the first person I'd been around that hasn't seen me in awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Haha, so, you were not flattered by the question?
Well I was flattered that my good eating habits may have helped my boyfriend.. he is looking smaller!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6  

Thank you caliyah! Right back at ya!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Well, I was WAY bigger and a tad shorter than you and it took a good 50 pounds before a single person, (besides my immediate family) noticed. Boy oh boy though, do they notice now.

Funny story. Out of ALL the locals there were 2 people who I would consider pretty close friends that never, ever mentioned my weight loss. Not that I'm complaining, but it was just odd that they not once ever mentioned it where most people do. I have seen them at least weekly since starting my "diet", and they just never made an issue of it. Anyway last week I was at the hospital for a mammogram, and one of these people is a x-ray tech. She saw me from across the hall and her jaw literally fell open. She said, "OH MY GOSH LORI!!!, What happened to you, you have lost A LOT OF WEIGHT." She is practically yelling with excitement, like it was some sort of miracle. LOL Just thinking about it makes me giggle. I'm like, "I've only lost probably 2 pounds since the last time I saw you" Anyway, she still thinks it was some sort of over night divine intervention or something.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

If I am to understand correctly, she asked your boyfriend if he is losing weight, yes? Well, regardless, don't let it get you down in the least, just keep on chuggin along. I don't rightly recall when people noticed with me though.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I am a bit shorter than you, and started out heavier, but my weight loss hasn't been noticed by too many people who don't know I am losing... HOWEVER, almost everyone who knows me knows I'm losing weight, as I like the support and accountability of friends.

That being said, I received a lot of extra compliments on how much better I was looking by about 25 pounds, and I expect that to get more regular as I shed more poundage
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

Something else to consider is that quite a few people (guys mostly) are afraid of mentioning something like that unless it's really obvious. They're all so afraid we'll jump on them with comments like, "Are you saying I looked FAT before?" Then, they think we'll burst into tears or refuse to have sex with them or something.

Do women do that? All of my male coworkers seem to think we do, and that I'm in some sort of denial about what we are.

Of course, I think if you look good, it rates a mention, so "Good job!"
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #11  
Chaos in Action

S/C/G: 250/210/160

Height: 5'4

About the time that I had lost 18 pounds people started to notice and it was like it happened overnight. Which effectively, it had.

I don't know if anyone else has had this weird experience, but I apparently lose weight in chunks. For a while, I had started to look like a Swiss cheese. I would wake up and have what looked a bit like a pothole in some bit of me. My closest friend didn't even believe me, until I showed her one on my stomach and she blinked and said, "That is the oddest thing that I have ever seen." I didn't shrink, I just gained sinkholes. Then, at 18 pounds lost, my body started rearranging fat and I lost my depressions and shrank over about a week. Very odd.

Now, I'm gaining new sinkholes. Sigh.

Last edited by paradoxx; 08-17-2009 at 10:14 PM.
paradoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #12  

Thank you Onderchic!!

paradoxx.. I've never heard of that either!! Thats weird! Everyone's different, I guess!

and Lori.. how funny! You DO look great!

RMatS - I think some guys probably are like that.. but if anyone was to ask if I was losing weight, I'd be happy whether I was or not & just accept the compliment! Ha

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 08-17-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

ok...what I picked up on is the mother asking the son "are you losing weight??" as meaning "oh my gosh, nobody is feeding you! If you don't get back under my wing, you will whittle away to nothing". It's a mom thing more than it was an "ignore the gf is losing weight and focus on my son". I am a mom of a little man. I can totally see myself being worried about his eating when he moves out.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #14  

Jen, you're probably right
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

It took 20lbs.. I hadn't seen my mom in a few months (ok maybe more) and she came over with my step-dad to visit hubby and I. They stayed the night... then right before they left the next day, hubby went outside to water the lawn, step-dad was getting dressed and she said "you look like you've lost weight, in this (motioning to her belly) area". It was a major motivator for me. Although I seriously think you can tell more in my face, but w/e. I think people are more cautious with women and saying something might trigger a bad response, so they tend to not say anything. I fully anticipate my father waiting until I reach goal to say something. No biggie... I took photos when I started and I can see the difference, that's a big enough compliment for me.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote