Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile EZ's "GO BROKE" CHALLENGE

I mailed out a couple of checks today to Paralyzed Veterans of America and World Vision. I had a stack of mail asking for donations. I was unable to donate to all of them today. I debated on a couple of them and got to thinking of how much need there is in the world today.

Which gave me, I feel, a great idea for us here at 3FC....

What about a CHALLENGE where we give for our losses

I was thinking, at first, a dollar a pound to your favorite charity. It could be after goal or every week....month.

Then I thought of "time" given for each loss....volunteer work at the local school, hospital or library....the list is endless.

Or maybe a can of soup to the "families in need" pantry of your church.

I am not sure what I want to "challenge" myself with at the moment....but I will come up with something....

How about you?

The needs are endless....can you dump a few pounds to help someone out?....of course you can!

I challenge all of you to help me keep this thread going forever....

Last edited by EZMONEY; 08-15-2009 at 08:31 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Thanks for reminding me of the food pantry ! I've been meaning to take a bag of canned goods for two weeks and keep forgetting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Oh, and try if you can to donate GOOD stuff...lots of posts on the forum about how food banks get generally useless food, like jars of maraschino cherries and canned pimientos...and who wants THAT???

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

DH and I gave to our local food pantry for every lb. we lost.
I'm would love to continue the practice by giving for every week that I MAINTAIN my loss

Count DH in too
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #5  

Great idea! We already give to local food banks and DH gives to a couple of military/veteran organizations but....

I haven't heard of the Paralyzed Veterans group and think I will give to them for the exercise that I do. I SHOULD get out there and walk/run and this pledge will remind me to be grateful for the ability and to USE it.

Thanks for this thread. What a wonderful idea!
jamiewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #6  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Gary... What a great idea !! I can think of a lot of charities that could use the help... It's perfect way for me to stay on track. I like the idea of 'publishing' a little info about our charities too, which may nudge more people to do it...

Sometimes we forget that a little goes a long way... I used to think I had to make a significant monatary donation for "it to count".. Not true... I've learned that even the smallest amount of money, food, time is important in the big scheme of things...

--------------------------------
A quick note to those of you who haven't seen the movie Pay It Forward rent it, rent it today, rent it now !!!
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I became a meals on wheels volunteer recently. I also give to the food pantry when I can. omg, I didn't know they were getting useless food??? They need beans, rice, tuna, spaghetti o's stuff like that.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

You ladies are so right! A little does go a long way sometimes. Our stats say we have over 80,000 members...now I know we are all not on right now...

but...if we all gave just one dollar or one hour of our time for just one week that would be 80,000 worth of time and $$$.

We can do big things here TEAM!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have a bag of groceries in my car, all canned goods, soup, beans and vegies. I am going to start taking in a bag every Sunday, our Missions Committee at Church is sponsoring it. I had an interesting experience once. I was on my way to work and stopped at the store to buy some thing for my lunch later. There was a man in the parking lot with a sign, "Need food" .As I was walking around the store making my purchases I could hear a voice in my head saying" you have lots of food in your cupboard " so I bought a few things for the man in the parking lot as I drove out I handed it mto him. He said "God bless you" and I drove on to work. When I got to work I found that I had been given a $100 raise. I WASN"T DUE FOR A RAISE !!!!!!

Last edited by bargoo; 08-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Great story BARGOO

I took a bag of canned goods to church today also, I had already purchased the goods last week. I fell so/so on the quality of what I took in today, as KIRA mentioned...don't take stuff that most don't want! My issue was I took in 10 cans of those canned ravioli/spaghetti/macaroni meals. Now it is a well known brand but probably not that good for you...but they were almost 2 for one last week. I always struggle with taking in hi-cal food...although that is what is requested! The pop top cans of those types of meals.

Since I was already taking food it I purchased a gift card and set in on our secretary's desk with a note to give it to our new Vicar for his family or if there was a greater need apply it to that person/family. I did this in honor of keeping 17 pounds off for 2 years!

I hope to go broke!

So many needs out there...

Special Olympics lost a great one this week....

Our local Little League teams have lost gear and concessions from punks breaking into their storage shed....

Times are tough out there....

We can all give something...time....talent....$$$

I hope you go broke too in honor of your losses and determination to become healthy!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

The Chef Boyardee-type meals aren't so bad, Mr. EZ...and lots of kids will chow those down. SO much better than an old bag of icing sugar, a jar of pickled onions, and a can of potatoes...you done great!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote