Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default SOUPA AVGOLEMONO (Greek Lemon and Rice soup!!)

I found this recipe on Epicurious in the comments of another soup recipe...soooo good! It is the poster's Yia Yia's recipe. She later posted that it is very good chilled as well. I made this soup this AM and my almost 2yo cannot get enough of it!

Soupa Avgolemono:

8 c. homemade chix stock (I only had boxed stock on hand ~ I used Rachael Ray's and it was fine...I'd probably try Kitchen Basics next time as, for my tastes, it seems to have a richer flavor)
1 c. orzo (traditionally made with rice ~ I used 1c brown basmati)
4 eggs/ separated (see my comment below)
juice of 3 lemons (or more)
fresh ground black pepper

This recipe will make a perfectly balanced salty, rich, filling, comforting soup. Boil broth, add orzo(rice) and simmer until tender 20 min (40 or so minutes for rice, until tender).

Whip whites until medium peaks, add yolks beating continuously, add juice, beating. Temper eggs with 2 c. broth, adding in constant slow stream while continuing to beat furiously so you do not curdle the eggs. (NOTE: I actually skipped this step and followed a suggestion to use a blender. I added the 4 whole eggs and pulsed to combine. Then, I added lemon juice and a quick pulse. Lastly, I turned the blender on low and slowly streamed the 2+ cups of hot broth into the top opening until well combined and tempered. It was still frothy but A LOT easier than constantly, frantically whipping the eggs like Yia Yia.)

Add egg mixture back to remaining broth and serve.

When reheating, do not re-boil - heat slowly until very warm or you may curdle the eggs.

Garnish with thinly sliced lemon. I sometimes add more than juice of 3 lemons, as the sourness is the best part of the taste! You should taste lemon, richness of eggs, salt of chicken, and starch of rice, in that order and you've made it perfectly. You can also add thin pieces of shredded chicken meat (pull off bone in strips), although classic recipes don't include chicken, vegetables, garlic, tofu, or any of the ingredients many reviewers added to "fix" this recipe. Try mine and you'll be hooked for life!

Last edited by 262mom2three; 08-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #2  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Lost my recipe and came on here to get it again. Sooooo incredibly yummy so I thought that I'd bump it. I noticed that I forgot to omit the orzo part. Obviously, for Phase 2, go with the brown rice...NO orzo on SBD. Not sure if this would be okay for Phase 1, if you omit the brown rice, as it still has the fresh lemon juice. This soup is awesome!! You can also add some shredded chicken breast to make it more substantial.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to try it.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote