Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #1  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Anyone else ever feel like this in the middle of the night or morning?

I've been feeling sort of funny the past couple days. I normally don't eat breakfast until I get in to work (I bring an whole wheat english muffin with reduced fat PB and about 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese). Yesterday, I started feeling a little hungry when I left the house and by the time I got to work (1/2 hour later), I was dizzy and nauseous and feeling like I was going to be sick even though there wasn't anything in my stomach.

Then last night, I got up at about 1:30 am to let the dogs out and got that same dizzy, nauseous feeling again (no I'm NOT preggers). I thought it might be blood sugar, so I ate an english muffin with PB, and that seemed to help...but then I felt like that again when I got up to go to work...so I ate part of my breakfast at home.

I think I'm gonna dig out my blood sugar test kit - if I can find it - and test my sugar when this happens. Last year, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, but after improving my eating habits and adding regular exercise, my blood sugar has been in the normal range.

Maybe all the exercise this week (every day for around an hour - more time and more intensity than usual) is causing my body to use the insulin more efficiently than it's used to thereby lowering my blood sugar almost too much. Or maybe I'm not eating late enough at night. I usually have a snack at about 7 or 7:30, and that's it for the night. Is that enough fuel until morning? I am balancing carbs and proteins to avoid blood sugar spikes and crashes.

Anyone have any ideas? Has this happened to any of you?
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My guess is that you're not eating enough. I think you have your calories set too low given your size and exercise program. So, you are having low blood sugar reactions. Nausea and dizziness are pretty common symptoms.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #3  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

I agree, you may need to adjust your intake. And break out that testing kit for a couple of weeks to monitor whats going on. I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic and am on glucophage so I've had to start testing. If I wait to long to eat breakfast or don't eat enough then I crash about the time I get to work. Same symptoms, nausea and light-headed.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #4  
Creating a Healthier Me

Thanks for the info/advice.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #5  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I start feeling sick when I've eaten too much of the wrong thing and I used to get headaches and dry mouth and other bad sensations when I didn't eat enough of the right things when I was on plan.

You also mention carbs and proteins, but are you eating a lot of fruit an veg? Fruit is a great way to rev up your metabolism in the morning, without the expense of added calories. If it is a sugar issue, that natural sugar may also help balance you a bit.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Yep, it sounds like your sugar to me...but I dont know. That is what I do when I need to eat, I get nausous and have even thrown up from not eating breakfast. Yesterday I got low blood sugar and started feeling bad and never felt quite right for the rest of the day... Im diabetic.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Sounds like the symptoms that people get on very very low calorie low carb plans... so I think the others are right that cals might be too low given your activity level and blood sugar issues.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Does the PB have sugar in it?
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #9  
Creating a Healthier Me

Scarlet - I'm pretty sure the PB has sugar in it, as it only says "Reduced Fat" on the label...not "reduced sugar" or "sugar free".

I really appreciate all the comments/advice you all gave me! Thank you!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Maybe switch to real peanut butter - just peanuts, or even almond butter. And ditch the fat free cottage cheese in exchange for 2% or whole milk CC. Not a huge difference in calories, but your body will appreciate the fats and realness of the food.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #11  
Creating a Healthier Me

Thanks for the suggestions, Seagirl!