Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Default What a TOTALLY crappy day...

Yesterday was my birthday... it was great... but today (well tomorrow now, I guess, it IS 4am) just thoroughly SUCKED. I mean... it was like one of those days that you just wish you could go back to sleep and wake up and it didn't happen, you know? And this time, it had absolutely nothing to do with body issues, etc. Sorry I'm venting on here about it, but god it was horrible!

So I woke up at 6 this morning to my grandma asking me why my car wasn't in the driveway. I was like Huh??? First thought was that my teenage brother that lives with me got a wild burr up his butt and took the car for some odd late night gas station run for junk food (it's happened, though never in the middle of the night). But then I noticed my KEYS (and there's only 1 set) sitting at the end of my bed.

I called the police.... and reposession.

I was like Oh my god, what the...?! I make my payments every week. I've never missed a payment since the one time I did at the beginning when I got the car a year ago, and that was because I wasn't used to the 28 day payment cycle thingie that this particular finance company has. I paid my late fees on that one and haven't done it since. I always had an agreement with the office lady and everyone knew me there... because of my nighttime schedule (work 12 to 16 hour shifts, and that's afternoons/midnights) they were okay with me dropping off my payment through the dropbox with my name, car, etc and the amount. She was, I should say. Every other week I did that, depending on how crazy my schedule was. Then, the next week or so I'd go in and make my next payment and the receipt would reflect BOTH payments, though I'd dropped the other in the box. The catch to it is that the place only accepted cash and money orders, or at least that's the way it was when I got my car. And who has the time to get a money order? I figured that since they knew me so well there, by name really, it'd be okay to believe in the office lady that I'd be okay to drop my cash payment in an envelope in the night drop box now and then. And for a while, I was.

So, I called and left a message for my finance company/the place I bought the car and called them at 9am when they opened. Talked to the new manager, I guess they'd let go some people and hired new people on. Apparently, there was ONE payment (of $80.25) missing from my July 31st payment date. They got the one I dropped a few days ago for this week, but that still left me with one payment "missing".

I was pretty much ready to cry, and I asked him to look and see that I always make my payments, and I don't know why they didn't have record of me dropping it, there had never been a problem before because I'd had an agreement with the office lady about it because of my schedule like I said.

Well, turns out that's the day they freaking fired the office lady. They fire her, and my payment goes missing. They said they couldn't do anything about it, because I couldn't prove that I'd dropped the money off so technically I have to pay $600 repo fees, $100+ late fees, plus the amount they said I owed. And the kicker? I only owed about $450 more on my car in general... I was going to be PAID OFF in a month. So here I was, 10 days late... (and like I asked.. they couldn't even CALL me and ASK me "Hey Amanda... we see that you're missing a payment from this date, yet you dropped off a payment for the following week on time. Did you mess something up or is something going on??").... and they repo my car. In the middle of the night.

Now this is where it gets crazy.... a few months before I got my car, my dad purchased a car from them as well. Two months into having the thing, his car breaks down hardcore. Like $1000 worth of work hardcore. He takes it back, tells them where to put (shove) it and gives them the car back. So they decide to sue him. Since my dad is filing bankruptcy, he doesn't care. He hasn't even told them where he lived.

So imagine my shock when they come back with a "deal" for me. The guy literally called me back and was like "Okay, well here's the thing. We'll cut you a deal. Tell us where your dad works (keep in mind I didn't even know this guy, know how he knows about my dad, etc!!!), and where he lives, and we'll cut the repo fees in half."

I cried (thank you theater class) and somehow managed to convince them that I don't talk to my dad (which I don't, much) and definitely don't know where he lives or works. They finally buy it, but won't go much farther down than $600 fees. I convince them that I've only got $401 in my savings account... and mysterious, and easily, they decide they'll take that.

So they "do me a favor" and send a lady that works there to pick me up, take me to the bank, pick up the money..... and then give her the money (WITH RECEIPTS MIND YOU!!!!) in the parking lot of the McDonald's down the street from my house, where my car was waiting.

I've never been so stunned and weirded out by a situation in my LIFE.

My dad and I both decided that they pulled this stunt to try and get to him, and it cost me $400 (which was in my savings for my upcoming vacation in 4 1/2 months). I've decided I'm not going to do anything for another month until I've paid off the car (I only have 4 week payments left) and have the title fully in my hand. After that... I'm thinking the Better Business Bureau... and whatever else people might suggest.

On top of all that... my computer decided to try and kick the dust again today, and I had to restore it and have been working for HOURS reinstalling EVERYTHING I need on it.

Today.... was a..... day from.... !!

On a positive note... I maintained my sanity and myself rather well. It's got to be the healthy lifestyle I've adopted these past months... because any other day I would have probably collapsed from stress, and in mental meltdown. My whole body would be hurting, I'd probably whither away into drooling nothingness in my room, etc. But... yet... I still feel strong, positive thinking (though it's going to be hard to make up the $400 I lost), and will be going to the gym in the morning when I wake up. That, unto itself, is amazing. I've really changed... and all because I've changed my lifestyle and eating. I can definitely say I'm proud of myself today...

So anyways... sorry this was so long guys.... but I wanted to see what you guys think of all of it, if you have any suggestions, and basically... VENT!!

It's not every day you get hit up by the suburban mafia.

Last edited by starfishkitty; 08-13-2009 at 05:33 AM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

OK, is there any free legal/consumer advice you can get in your area? I think you need somebody batting for you on this, cash in a carpark don't sound right. I think you're right, it was some kind of try on; and Totally illegal to offer you a deal to shop your dad.

I'm sorry you had such a scary day.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't wait till you paid the car off to pursue the matter. Generally, the longer time passes after an incident like this, the harder it would be to prove your point. Get some free legal advice! It does seem weird that they only take cash or money order, maybe there are some under-the-table things going on. I think they are supposed to give you a notice that you have a late/missing payment BEFORE they are allowed to repo your car, and then CHARGE you for it! They are definitely in the wrong!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

That sucks!! There's not too much else to say- sorry you had to go through that! at least today cannot possibly be as bad! Really upsetting and it is so irritating to have to spend money for dumb reasons that you have have painstakingly put away...so sorry!
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #5  
That's me!

S/C/G: 270/251/150

Height: 5'

I agree with Aneleh! That is just not right. First of all, no legit business deals only in cash these days. And second, if it was a business transaction it should have happened at the business location, not at the local McDonalds. This was straight up theft and extortion. They ransomed your car back to you, it had nothing to do with repo fees. I believe a company is required to give you at least 3 late notices before they try to repo your stuff.

I would not only call the BBB, but I'd call the police. This is fraudulent and if you only had $400 left to pay off the car, then you should be able to assume that your car is now paid OFF.

Good luck with this girl, and please keep us posted on what happens!
Phenomenal Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I am total agreeance with PW above ^. Please keep us posted
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #7  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Geez, who'd you buy the car from? The mafia?
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Bravo for being so strong!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

So sorry to hear what you are going through and this is just wrong! I saw that you live in Indiana so I looked up the consumer protection agency for your state - http://www.indianaconsumer.com/. File a complaint with them. Also, tell the car dealership/collection company that you are filing it.

I have done this a couple of time in the past in my state and always got fast action. I have learned that just mentioning to a business that I will file a complaint usually gets me to the manager of a business and they take me seriously then!

Good luck and let us know what happens!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Wow. Crazy, crazy finance company.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #11  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Also, to add to the very good advice and comments above...

No car company repossesses your car for being 80 dollars behind without making any attempt to collect first. A legitimate company would tell you that it's much more of a hassle to repossess the car!

Good luck to you!
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

that is such a scam! know any lawyers you can discuss a suit with? you might even be able to recoup some of that money in small claims.

the cash thing is tricky, if you're going to pay cash for anything, it's always good to get a written receipt. sometimes even people who normally wouldn't stoop to it, if they find themselves in desperate circumstances, might be too tempted by a cash sum right in front of them.

sorry you had to go through that.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #13  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

OUCH! I'm sorry this happened to you. It sound's like a nightmare. I agree with the other posters, call the local legal aide or bar association (and maybe visit a bar and have a few shots, lol). They can send you to someone who can help. That's rediculous. They owe you that money back.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Omgosh! That really really really sucks. That they can repo your car for ONE PAYMENT? ick. I'm so sorry that happened to you
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It is NEVER OK to drop an envelope of cash in a drop box. No matter what ANYONE tells you. You might as well hand it to somebody on the street. Well... lesson learned, I hope. And I would definitely pursue further action as the other posters have said.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote